• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A seeker has some questions about Gnosticism.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
1.) Is god a literal being in the sky or something else?

2.) How can one truly believe in the divinity of Christ? When there is so much evidence against such a thing. Or was he just a prophet?

3.) Can one be rational as well as a believer?

4.) Why is there suffering in the world?

5.) What does Gnosticism say about homosexuality?

6.) Are there any saints in Gnosticism?

7.) Why is no one divine or miraculous in this modern era?

8.) Are heaven and hell literally real or are they more symbolic?

9.) Is the bible meant to be taken literally?

10.) Are Gnosticism and Science compatible?

11.) How many Gnostic organizations are there? Particularly in the United States?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
1.) Is god a literal being in the sky or something else?
Gnosticism from my understanding seems to be somewhat monistic; in other words, each of us is a "spark" of God. We're all originally a part of God that became ensnared in the illusions of the created world, blinded by the powers that be.

2.) How can one truly believe in the divinity of Christ? When there is so much evidence against such a thing. Or was he just a prophet?
Some Gnostics were Docetists, teaching that Jesus was not really human, but only had the illusion of being so. Others taught that the man Jesus was indwelled by the divine Christ; i.e. human possessed by the divine. EDIT: And some don't really focus on Him at all.

I think Gnosticism as a spiritual path transcends reason.

Suffering is created to make us forget who we are, where we came from. This ignorance caused by suffering then leads to more suffering in return... It's all part of the chains that bind us down, keeping us from returning to our true home in Heaven/the Pleroma (Divine Fullness)

I'm not sure.

There are the prophets of Gnosticism, and its early teachers, such as the Prophet Mani and Valentinius. I don't know if saints are a big thing in Gnosticism, the way they are in the traditional forms of Christianity.

What do you mean? Do you mean that no more miracles occur today?

IDK if Gnosticism has a Hell the way Christianity and Islam do. Many believe that Earth is Hell. Heaven is from whence we came, and it is to there that we must return.

Many Gnostics don't even use the Bible anyway, so this is kinda irrelevant. Some might use things like the Book of Psalms, Wisdom of Solomon, Proverbs, the Four Gospels and some of Paul's Epistles, or they might use the Old Testament to show how the Demiurge, the Creator of this physical world, was ignorant and even evil.

They kinda address different things, so they're not really "compatible" per se. Science is about this physical universe. Gnosticism focuses on transcending it.

11.) How many Gnostic organizations are there? Particularly in the United States?
There IS the Ecclesia Gnostica, but they're not really widespread. Most of the Gnostic groups you'll find are either on the other side of the country, or really small. Gnosticism, as a newly-revived religious path, is still incredibly scattered and barely even off the ground.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Is god a literal being in the sky or something else?
Most available texts seem to indicate, that all the Gnostic sects did in fact regard THE god as a real literal being in Outer Space with no origin or beginning, just simply existing.

This relates to the issue of the Trinity. It seems the Gnostic texts do not indicate Jesus was God, with perhaps certain translation issues with the anarthrous Theos as in the standard NT canon, and they most certainly believe in other beings called "gods", often referred to as "Archons" but the word "gods" is most certainly often used. In this sense, it seems that Jesus is regarded as "a god", as the highest of the gods under the Prime uncreated god Himself, much similar to ancient Jewish Logos Theology. In the Pistis Sophia, my favorite non-canonical text which I'm going to start a whole thread on, Jesus is the physical incarnation of the first created and highest being who is given the highest authority in the Cosmos.
I would hope a believer is 100% rational, to be an irrational believer would be rather counter-productive. Belief must be based on reason. The entire point of "Gnosis" is to have "Knowledge", not just "faith".
Because of rebellion against the Prime Cause and His will for man to be godly. And because Sophia tried to emulate the Prime Cause but made an inferior being who was the cause of all sin and its resultant suffering and necessary chastisement.
In the Pistis Sophia, souls who engage in MALE (not female) acts of such will be permanently dissolved after over a century of torture at the hands of the punishing archons. Many Gnostic groups actively encouraged such acts, and many highly discouraged them. The ones that encouraged them, like the Bulgars and the Nicolations (arguably Gnostic) can be safely assumed to be the "Exception" to what was a rule of total abstinence.

Nope. The idea of being a "Saint" is one who has achieved the correct knowledge, acts on it, and repents of their former sins, at least in works like the Pistis Sophia.

There very well may be modern prophets and miracle workers on the down low. Not everyone is necessarily automatically a fraudulent "faith healer" of sorts.
In many Gnostic texts, 100% literal. The "hell" of Gnosticism is far scarier than even the standard Christian view of hell. We're talking over a century of extremely brutal punishment within an astral body that can physically feel things in between lives, at the hands of fallen archons or in the belly of the gargantuan Ancient Serpent. Heaven however is hard to describe, but it's along the idea of "returning to the Light".
Yes, except where it specifically implies its a parable. Some concepts like the Garden of Eden have a different account but are regarded as 100% historical events even with the different accounts.
Yes. But what "science" is and what it's not is another debate.
There are many "new age" organizations that have somewhat Gnostic ideas that attempt to be "revivals' of ancient Gnostic ideas, but are more along the medieval developments' lines of thought than the initial dark age groups like the Valentinians and the Ophites. On that note, we don't really know what such dark age groups believed, and it's very probably that the heresy hunters lied or distorted or heard incorrect information when they wrote about them. It can be argued that ancient Nazarene ("Messianic") Judaism is the original Gnostic organization as well, though it would be far, far different than its current form of "Messianic Judaism", as Gnosticism was clearly a very Jewish-leaning movement, especially evidenced from Pistis Sophia and other works like Gospel of Philip.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Inspired by Sum of Awe's thread, I have a few more questions about this particular spiritual path. Feel free to answer the original questions, if you wish.

1.) Does Gnosticism have to be inherently dualistic? Are there any non-dualistic streams of thought in Gnosticism? Are there any that might resemble Vishishtadvaita?

Vishishtadvaita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2.) What exactly are the Demiurge and Sophia?

3.) Can one be apart of an orthodox or "official" Christian denomination and still also identify as Gnostic? Or at least have theological influence from it?

4.) How would you counteract criticisms that Gnosticism is a "depressing" or "material denying" path?

5.) Branching from 4, does Gnosticism literally deny the material world? In that the physical world does not actually exist?

6.) I've gotten a general impression that Gnostics tend to be anti-science. Is this inherently so?

7.) Is God evil?

EDIT: I'm not a seeker anymore, but these questions have stemmed from my curiosity via researching this path.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
One more question: Is Gnosticism anti-semitic? I've heard criticisms that Gnosticism is a form of "metaphysical anti-semitism".

frangipani

Premium Member
One more question: Is Gnosticism anti-semitic? I've heard criticisms that Gnosticism is a form of "metaphysical anti-semitism".

Gnosticism is a term used since the late 1800's to place a label and some sort of description to a misunderstood line of thought in an attempt to slot it somewhere in the world. The word Gnosis comes from the Greek and simply means Knowledge. People labelled 'Gnostic' are those who believe a Christian is a person who not only believes in Christ but learns and applies the lessons of Christ in their own lives, marrying the Spirit within to their soul through the mind and thus becoming a new being in Christ. This is an individual and often solitary journey of self discovery and spiritual growth. As such, to use the term, true Gnostics do not judge others of any race, creed, or religion. In fact we respect their right to choose what they believe and in like manner would hope they respect our right to believe as we do.
We believe that on a person's last day when they pass from this world to the Spiritual regardless of what they have done on earth the truth of their devotions will become manifest and whether they stand or fall depends on that manifestation. So that being said we judge no one, are no ones enemy and hope others choose not to be our enemies as we have chosen not to be theirs. In fact we prefer to be friends with everyone, even while respecting each others right to agree to disagree.:D