1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A second recount for georgia

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Riders, Nov 22, 2020 at 3:45 AM.

1. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    Instead of accepting the recount gracefully in Georgia Trump is calling for a second recount of the ballots.

Foir Gods sakes how long is he planning on throwing this temper tantrum?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I would say as long as the left had their temper tantrum that lasted a full 4 years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,490
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    I agree Trump's tantrum is quite capable of lasting for four years. I expect him to continue to sustain his followers during that time* with a relentless campaign of resentment, denial and social division, in the hope of a comeback, whether in person or via some surrogate.

* Provided he succeeds in avoiding jail and/or bankruptcy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,038
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    What temper tantrum are you talking about?

5. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,040
    Religion:
    None
    Neither side is having a temper tantrum but some
    such as post here act as though irresponsibly torching any avenues back
    to solidarity as Americans is great sport.

6. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +55,784
    Religion:
    Bokononism & Atheism
    January 20, 2021

• Like Like x 1
  7. ecco

ecco Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,833
    Religion:
    atheist
    I believe you are absolutely correct.

He railed on and on about Obama's nation of birth for years and years and it helped get him elected in 2016.

He will rail on and on for the next four years about the stolen election in the hopes of getting _________...
    A. Himself
    B. Donnie Jr
    C. Ivanka
    D. Jared
    E. Other​
    ...elected.

8. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,038
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    I'm confused. The left had their temper tantrum, that lasted four years?
    "Four years" = Trump. "The left" = ....Bernie?

9. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium An Appearance in Consciousness
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,098
    Religion:
    Advaita Vedanta
    What's the point? 232 + 16 =/= 270

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Goddess Kit

Goddess Kit Active Member

Ratings:
    +199
    Religion:
    Kit
    He's probably hoping his boyfriend Putin will intervene during one of the recounts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,324
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    The worst predictions from 2016 of what a Trump presidency would be like came true.

When "leftists" actually set up re-education camps - like you were fear-mongering about in your other thread - you have my permission to throw a temper tantrum.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,324
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    If I had to guess, I'd say all of Trump's tactics about recounts and election challenges are intended to distract attention from what else he's doing.

While all this has been going on, he's been replacing key appointees at various departments with his own loyalists.

Most disturbing, I think, is that Trump has fired the person in his administration who pushed back most against using troops against civilians over the summer.

I'm worried about what's going to happen in January.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Goddess Kit

Goddess Kit Active Member

Ratings:
    +199
    Religion:
    Kit
    He's upset because his concessions were unmet.

Come January, most rational folk hope to see him in cuffs.

14. Ponder This

Ponder This Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +429
    The first recount would've happened in Georgia regardless of whether Trump wanted it because the vote was close.
    The recount did not address Trump's main concerns about ballot fraud. So, of course, the recount barely mattered.

As for how long... there is a limit to how long this can go on, because the states have to choose their electors. I imagine the time-frame of these challenges will be similar to how long it took in 2000 Bush vs Gore (which was settled Dec 12th).

15. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,490
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    Yes, but Milley has now made at least two recent speeches stressing that the US Armed Forces swear an oath to the Constitution and not to any individual: Top US general stands firm amid Pentagon turmoil - CNNPolitics
    This seems to me a very pointed way of signalling that the military are not going to get involved in a coup. I also read a commentator from a right-of-centre think tank who said that for Trump to engineer a military coup, he would need first to sack the top thousand military officers, before he would find anyone prepared to obey the order.

Added to that, while Trump may think, being a jumped-up real estate dealer, that he has the Supreme Court in his pocket, I reckon he is going to find that he hasn't.

These are very disturbing times, I agree, but I think he will get frogmarched out of the White House when the day comes. Perhaps by Milley personally, who knows. That would be worth watching. :D

#15 exchemist, Nov 22, 2020 at 8:55 AM
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen

Oh really? I seem to remember Obama stepping up to brief Trump and have a conversation with him right after he called him to congratulate him. When he gave that announcement
    at his talk Dems kind of had a hard time with it but Obama said it was time for us pull together.

I remember Clinton conceding fast and giving her consession speech which made me cry. I don't have memory of Clinton having a tantrum calling it a phony election and suing the electors over an illegal election and refusing to concede. Obama and Clinton were very very gracious and wanted to pull the country together.

Sense when she refuse to concede and go crazy over the election, I don't appreciate that comment to the fact Obama quickly sat down briefing Trump and congratulating him as I remember Trump didn't ask many question wasn't interested much in being briefed.

They were completely gracious and respectfully transitioned Trump in. They had no behavior anywhere similar t what Trump is doing.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,100
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    He's trying to buy time, and keep the election from being called, officially. I suppose in hopes that he'll find some way of changing the outcome.

18. fantome profane

fantome profane Keep safe, and keep your neighbours safe.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,090
    When a toddler throws a tantrum you don’t spend much time speculating on the toddler’s long term strategy or what the end game is going to be.

You just try to stop the screaming toddler from hurt itself or damaging anything.

19. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,324
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    I'm wondering if Trump would need a military coup, though.

Trump seems to already have a firm hold on the Justice Dept. and the Dept. of Homeland Security. That might be enough, provided that the military stays out of everything.

... but my worry with Milley isn't so much about him participating in a coup as in him green-lighting the use of troops against the protests that will probably happen between now and January 20.

Sure, but his actions now are going to be motivated by what he thinks is true, not what is actually true.

I also think Trump will be evicted in January. The question for me is how many people will die between now and when Biden takes office.

20. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +24,873
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    And heart attacks, strokes, cancer, all the other things he is high risk from crap diet, obesity, and lack of exercise.