• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sad, lonesome and misunderstood God?

Excaljnur

Green String
I have some interesting thoughts about the nature of God, how he resembles human beings and what conclusions that leads to. For this post I am assuming that the Bible is correct in its statement that humans were created in God's image. Obviously, for the sake of argument, I am also assuming God exists [bear with me, this is just for fun]. If God does exist and we were created in his image, then it seems important to consider what is meant by “image.” I take image could mean physical image or behavioral image.

If God resembled our physicality, it is safe to assume that we lack his power (among many other things), and he lacks our frailty (among many other things). However, to say that we resemble his image in our physicality would mean that his appearance is that of us, limiting his appearance of anything else. Perhaps he could shapeshift and transform which would lead us into a depiction of an eternal being like a super hero from the Marvel Universe. While all this and more is a possibility if God resembled our physicality, in this post I am only investigating the possibility that we resemble God in our behavior. This leads to many interesting conclusions.

If we resemble God in our behavior, then to identify what human behaviors could resemble God’s, a fair question to get the ball rolling would be: What human behaviors make us “human?” Essentially, I am asking what criterion can qualify humanity to indeed be humanity. Humans have a capacity for reason, we can be logical, but also illogical. Our irrationality manifests often enough in our limited perspective, our hastiness and our emotion. The two polar opposite human behaviors that can cause so many internal conflicts are emotional judgments and rational judgments. If there were anything significant semblance of humanity in God, it would be either our fundamental capacity for reason, or our fundamental capacity to ignore or bypass reason.

If we break down these two qualities of humanity to simply reason and emotion, then we need to know what reason and emotion consists of. In this post, I will only discuss emotion. Many strong emotions influence us to a disconcerting extent. Arguably, the two strongest emotions are revenge and love. Revenge is driven by an internalized sense of reciprocity with whatever justification is necessary. Love, on the other hand, is driven by our inherent need as humans for a sense of belonging, connectivity, stability, companionship and emotional attachment. According to the Bible, there is good reason to believe that God resembles us emotionally. The paradigm shift from a vengeful God to a loving God from the Old to the New Testament demonstrate this. There is something troubling however of this semblance to God. A God of the traditional nature in omnipotent—all-powerful and all-knowing. For a God like this to be vengeful admits of a childish immaturity or of emotional insecurity. For anyone who has ever criticized the Bible, you have most likely encountered this strange nature of God—you wouldn’t want to follow a vengeful leader so why is God the exception? Insofar as most contemporary Christians are concerned, however, the New Testament loving God is the “current God”. Maybe God finally grew up.

If you are a person who has philosophically criticized the New Testament God, you may have encountered the argument that a perfect God is impossible since by creating humans and a universe He demonstrated a dissatisfaction to whatever was prior. Thus He admitted, in action, to a need which contradicts an attribute of the nature of perfection: to be without need. But for the sake of this investigation, I am assuming that God is omnipotent; as eternal, benevolent, all-powerful and all-knowing. Returning to the emotional semblance of God to humans, the position that God is in is entirely unique. According to general Christianity, there is one God, only one God. If indeed God resembled our humanity in the emotion of love, God’s solitary existence as the only God of his kind must be quite lonesome. Imagine being a Being of infinite love and only being able to share that love with a mortal species only capable of finite love. That must be frustrating. If anything, it is sad. I pity the God that everyone believes to be eternal and all-powerful and all loving, but has no companion to love. He has no equal to share in his infinite power and infinite love. Some may argue that God has all of us! But that is like citing the love that Kim Jong Un feels from his citizens, its just not the same as an intimate partner. In fact, I feel very sorry and am sympathetic for the position God has been in for the past three millennia. We all as humans have misunderstood His existence as the One God as a good thing when it may actually be the bane of His existence. God probably wants companionship, so when He created humans, He hoped that humans would learn about the world, through science, so that some day, a human would be able to transcend to Godhood, so that God may have a chance for intimacy that he has envied of humans and desired for so long.

Just speculation here, but if transcendence into Godhood so that God may have a true friend was indeed the purpose of human existence. Then He must be quite aggravated to have witnessed religion in His name resisting human scientific progress for over a millennia. It makes me just want to give God a hug! God may even be so desperate for company that He wouldn’t care what gender transcends first, He or She will love anyone that would be with Him or Her!

Let’s all take a moment to consider how we have taken advantage of God, used him to promote our own agendas, and diluted his being into philosophical discussion of his existence. God is a being to, and he needs love like everything does. lol :)

Thoughts? Questions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
There are children dying of bone cancer every day.
God does not cure them.

I'm not misunderstanding God at all. He doesn't exist.

Excaljnur

Green String
Depends. If you're 1) female and 2) in my bed.

Location, location, location....and gender.
I was refering to my post where I ask the reader to make the "obvious" assumption that God exists for a discussion about the nature of God. I was hoping for a discussion of whether I had any sound conclusions given the assumptions I made.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I was refering to in my post where I ask the reader to make the "obvious" assumption that God exists for this discussion. I was hoping for a discussion of whether I had any sound conclusions given the assumptions I made.

Patience. It will come. Just let it happen, baby.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think its a very interesting OP, I imagine God's feelings for us are sort of like a parents feelings for very naughty children!!

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Dear shenaniging god, son. You need a TL;DR (To long; didn't read it) paragraph at the bottom.

Ya, the idea of the contemporary God was taken advantage of like 6 thousand years ago by the Jews or Sumerians or Persians,

You're either daft, brainwashed or a shenanigan moron to believe there is a being that is ever where all over everything and is watching you.

That being said I have my own views which are Pagan and have been chastised through the ages in the wake of Catholicism.

Their views of God were there but they never depended on divine intervention or thought God could be everywhere at once. They understood God in a powerful but not demanding sense.

God can't be everywhere, the Gods are where they want to be and do as they please as far as I can tell. They have all their own sacraments for the cause of mankind, some would cater to the medical field, even the Red Cross while others would cater more to Law Enforcement or the Military, like they always did during the pagan era.

That being said about the omnipresent omnipotent and omniscient Judeo Super Deity, I believe there are beings among Mankind that can't yet be explained.

The Lords agenda though, I can't say, honestly. I'm in between total annihilation of Mankind and the Lord marveling at our breakthroughs like NASA and the medical and technological breakthroughs, these are breakthroughs the Gods may have assisted us with, as I stated previously saying they cater to their own desire.

Anyway, I can't explain anything but that, basically.

I'll look forward to your future posts.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Ain't this a shenanigan. I didn't think the conversation is over.

I was saying I think some of the Gods live as mortals and have everyday lives and jobs for the dosh, where are their riches?

They certainly seem humble about it.

You see, sir, I'm a bit of a schizophrenic or something by today's US standard on religion. The Viking Gods certainly are real and turn up all the time, where the press where's the parade and where's St.Michael to raise a horn of mead. He certainly would be longing for home in a crazy mixed up zionist kingdom. I think about him quite much and can't imagine the severity of his psychological trauma as the Lord may have ordered his warriors ruthlessly through the ages. What skeletons are in his closet are locked up tight, perhaps he would mantle his skull collection as I would.

Certainly if he went to Germany they would have a parade in Berlin. The festivus for the rest of us and we would be complete. The Lord's dream come to fruition.

Save it. The rest I have to say would really sound jaded towards Islam. Catholicism isn't a problem in the world now, they are directing their powers in a positive direction for the most part, the organization of the Vatican is moving in a positive direction now.

The Lord's plan, I do not know.

I have some interesting thoughts about the nature of God, how he resembles human beings and what conclusions that leads to. For this post I am assuming that the Bible is correct in its statement that humans were created in God's image. Obviously, for the sake of argument, I am also assuming God exists [bear with me, this is just for fun]. If God does exist and we were created in his image, then it seems important to consider what is meant by “image.” I take image could mean physical image or behavioral image.

If God resembled our physicality, it is safe to assume that we lack his power (among many other things), and he lacks our frailty (among many other things). However, to say that we resemble his image in our physicality would mean that his appearance is that of us, limiting his appearance of anything else. Perhaps he could shapeshift and transform which would lead us into a depiction of an eternal being like a super hero from the Marvel Universe. While all this and more is a possibility if God resembled our physicality, in this post I am only investigating the possibility that we resemble God in our behavior. This leads to many interesting conclusions.

If we resemble God in our behavior, then to identify what human behaviors could resemble God’s, a fair question to get the ball rolling would be: What human behaviors make us “human?” Essentially, I am asking what criterion can qualify humanity to indeed be humanity. Humans have a capacity for reason, we can be logical, but also illogical. Our irrationality manifests often enough in our limited perspective, our hastiness and our emotion. The two polar opposite human behaviors that can cause so many internal conflicts are emotional judgments and rational judgments. If there were anything significant semblance of humanity in God, it would be either our fundamental capacity for reason, or our fundamental capacity to ignore or bypass reason.

If we break down these two qualities of humanity to simply reason and emotion, then we need to know what reason and emotion consists of. In this post, I will only discuss emotion. Many strong emotions influence us to a disconcerting extent. Arguably, the two strongest emotions are revenge and love. Revenge is driven by an internalized sense of reciprocity with whatever justification is necessary. Love, on the other hand, is driven by our inherent need as humans for a sense of belonging, connectivity, stability, companionship and emotional attachment. According to the Bible, there is good reason to believe that God resembles us emotionally. The paradigm shift from a vengeful God to a loving God from the Old to the New Testament demonstrate this. There is something troubling however of this semblance to God. A God of the traditional nature in omnipotent—all-powerful and all-knowing. For a God like this to be vengeful admits of a childish immaturity or of emotional insecurity. For anyone who has ever criticized the Bible, you have most likely encountered this strange nature of God—you wouldn’t want to follow a vengeful leader so why is God the exception? Insofar as most contemporary Christians are concerned, however, the New Testament loving God is the “current God”. Maybe God finally grew up.

If you are a person who has philosophically criticized the New Testament God, you may have encountered the argument that a perfect God is impossible since by creating humans and a universe He demonstrated a dissatisfaction to whatever was prior. Thus He admitted, in action, to a need which contradicts an attribute of the nature of perfection: to be without need. But for the sake of this investigation, I am assuming that God is omnipotent; as eternal, benevolent, all-powerful and all-knowing. Returning to the emotional semblance of God to humans, the position that God is in is entirely unique. According to general Christianity, there is one God, only one God. If indeed God resembled our humanity in the emotion of love, God’s solitary existence as the only God of his kind must be quite lonesome. Imagine being a Being of infinite love and only being able to share that love with a mortal species only capable of finite love. That must be frustrating. If anything, it is sad. I pity the God that everyone believes to be eternal and all-powerful and all loving, but has no companion to love. He has no equal to share in his infinite power and infinite love. Some may argue that God has all of us! But that is like citing the love that Kim Jong Un feels from his citizens, its just not the same as an intimate partner. In fact, I feel very sorry and am sympathetic for the position God has been in for the past three millennia. We all as humans have misunderstood His existence as the One God as a good thing when it may actually be the bane of His existence. God probably wants companionship, so when He created humans, He hoped that humans would learn about the world, through science, so that some day, a human would be able to transcend to Godhood, so that God may have a chance for intimacy that he has envied of humans and desired for so long.

Just speculation here, but if transcendence into Godhood so that God may have a true friend was indeed the purpose of human existence. Then He must be quite aggravated to have witnessed religion in His name resisting human scientific progress for over a millennia. It makes me just want to give God a hug! God may even be so desperate for company that He wouldn’t care what gender transcends first, He or She will love anyone that would be with Him or Her!

Let’s all take a moment to consider how we have taken advantage of God, used him to promote our own agendas, and diluted his being into philosophical discussion of his existence. God is a being to, and he needs love like everything does. lol :)

Thoughts? Questions?

Thanks!

Revenge and love do not have to be emotions, they can be ideals. God is the Most High and His love is on a different level. He is whole and complete and does not need us. Yet His love is perfect love. Agape. He is patient.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Thoughts? Questions?

Thanks!

...........^

I'm not misunderstanding God at all. He doesn't exist.

....^

Way to state the obvious. You are no fun.

......:handpointup:
So your OP is a fictional argument?

Milton Platt

I was refering to my post where I ask the reader to make the "obvious" assumption that God exists for a discussion about the nature of God. I was hoping for a discussion of whether I had any sound conclusions given the assumptions I made.

Many people do not consider the existence of god "obvious". It that were really true, there would be no agnostics or atheists.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Some people just aren't very perceptive when it comes to the supernatural, doesn't mean they are any more rational.

Saint_of_Me

So, instead of worrying about God being misunderstood or deserving of our compassion and respect, you would do better to save that for the Entity who really deserves it: and that is, He is, of course: Satan.

Always misunderstood! Given a bad rap from the gitgo. Sure, he was once God's 'right hand Man." His "first Lieutenant." Probably his favorite of all of His pantheon of Angels.

But, see, God finally had to 86 ol' Luce from Heaven. Why? Because Satan stood up for us! That is correct.

Satan didn't feel we should be beholden to God, to Yahweh. And have to worship him. Satan wanted us, rather, to have the gift of Knowledge. This is why he seduced Eve into partaking of the fruit from that Tree in the Garden.

Satan has always been "down in the trenches" with us. He has always advocated for us against his former Boss, Yahweh. So, like any talented and too-smart employee who is always questioning his boss on matters and principals, God had to finally "fire" Satan. To relegate him--banish Him--down here to Earth, to dwell with us.

This is the reason, BTW, why God does not intervene in human affairs. Because He can not, despite what the Christian fundamentalists will tell you. This IS Satan's Realm--here, on Earth.

But it is God who actually trips-up Satan's World--even his most ardent believers, Why? He is jealous that Satan controls this world. If it weren't for Yahweh's meddling, our world today would be one big beautiful orgy of free love and hedonism and caring for each other--like a giant Commune. Satan wants this for us. There is no need to work and suffer and have poverty and an Evil pope and evil Islam. This is God's work. Satan would have us all work and love together and support each other. And NEVER waste out time horsewhipping God. (Who, BTW, never did ANYthing for you.)

Look at how many people Yahweh killed in the OT! Mass murder. Ethnic Cleansing. Jeez--that number must be in the tens of millions. And He would kill the innocent. The offspring and family of people he didn't like. Children. (see: the Passover). Like Richard Dawkins says: Has there ever been a more loathsome character in all of fiction than Yahweh? A petty, malevolent, jealous, capricious Bully?

Who did Satan ever kill?

Nobody.

All he ever did was stick-up for you!

So I think a little respect is in order. Don't you?

Along with an apology.

Sorry, ol' Luce.

Hail!

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

Thoughts? Questions?

Thanks!

I think I agree with much of that. There had to be a purpose for creation, for everything we see around us to exist- and the ultimate purpose, motive is Love.

What makes love so special, is that it cannot be mandated, it must be chosen by free will- the love of God requires a level of awareness known only in humanity yes?-and so individually, we must have the choice not to love God, or that love would be meaningless.

Love and hate define each other as left and right, so our capacity, freedom to do evil, only increases the good, love that we choose instead.

And if God created time along with everything else, then this love he shares is everlasting, infinite.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Thoughts? Questions?

Thanks!
How exactly does one "take advantage" of a being that is " omnipotent; eternal, benevolent, all-powerful and all-knowing"?

Demonslayer

How exactly does one "take advantage" of a being that is " omnipotent; eternal, benevolent, all-powerful and all-knowing"?

You put up a giant tent and bilk uneducated rubes out of millions of dollars. :)

Demonslayer

And if God created time along with everything else, then this love he shares is everlasting, infinite.

As is the agonizing fiery torture to which he lovingly sends the majority of people.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Wouldn't be so bad if there was continuity present among all theists and no confusion whatsoever as to who God is, and what it's all about.

Kinda of a red flag there.

Hard to take advantage over something everyone gets confused and jaded over.