• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Roman Catholic on the Trinity

rrobs

I think you make some good points.

Can I ask, what denominations you are?
I think I'm just saying what the scriptures say. I'm sure not smart enough to come up with a plan like God!

I am non-denominational. I go to a few different home fellowships where we really focus on researching the scriptures. I think many denominations are too steeped in tradition rather than God's word. I don't condemn individual for their beliefs. After all, one can only go as far as they've been taught. I think the problem is more of an institutional one. Most seminaries have little respect for the scriptures. They start out with the premise that men wrote them from their own experience. They choose to ignore:

2Tim 3:16,

All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Maybe some day things will change, but that's I see them at present.

Take care...

rrobs

How is a Catholic supposedly sound like?

And yes, Catholics can still be excommunicated.
From the subject of this thread, I'd say that he asking if a Catholic can deny the trinity without getting booted. Seems like a valid question to me.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
From the subject of this thread, I'd say that he asking if a Catholic can deny the trinity without getting booted. Seems like a valid question to me.
One only would be in trouble with that if they were teaching it as Catholic dogma in some sort of official capacity and/or trying to gain converts in opposition to the Church.

As far as belief is concerned, there's a great deal of leeway and tolerance, such as you can see with me with "My Faith Statement" at the bottom of my posts, and yet my priest still wants me to get re-involved with the RCIA program dealing with adult converts seeking possible admission into the Church. He knows I question basically everything.

rrobs

One only would be in trouble with that if they were teaching it as Catholic dogma in some sort of official capacity and/or trying to gain converts in opposition to the Church.

As far as belief is concerned, there's a great deal of leeway and tolerance, such as you can see with me with "My Faith Statement" at the bottom of my posts, and yet my priest still wants me to get re-involved with the RCIA program dealing with adult converts seeking possible admission into the Church. He knows I question basically everything.
I think you are right. It's pretty hard to get "booted out." I also think you are pretty smart to question everything. I'm the same way (not that I'm as smart as your though :)).

Many non Roman churches are less tolerant. I can't tell you how many folks have told me I'm not a Christian because I don't believe the trinity. It's funny how many want to take over God's job of judgment. I'm sure they mean well.

Take care...

metis

Many non Roman churches are less tolerant. I can't tell you how many folks have told me I'm not a Christian because I don't believe the trinity.
I had much the same experience in the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in but left in my mid-20's. At one point I was told by my pastor that I would not be a Christian if I "believed in evolution".

Also, we were constantly hearing from the pulpit how terrible the Catholic Church was, including being encouraged to buy books to "confirm" that. My own father told me he's "kick my ---" if he ever heard that I even would step into a Catholic church. Imagine his and my mother's chagrin when I fell in love with and married a Catholic woman.

However, they soon fell in love with my wife, later periodically attending mass with us and our grandchildren, and they enjoyed it. But when asked by one of their neighbors why he had a change of heart, his response was that, even though it's a Catholic church, it operates like it's a Protestant church! :rolleyes:

Hey, I'll even take small victories at times.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The liturgical calendar has a great many dates on it to commemorate various people, mostly "saints", and the day that is chosen for them doesn't relate to which day they may have been born on-- it' just a day set aside to commemorate them.

I am sure Jesus knew which day he was born on, but Jesus at Luke 22:19 chose that we should remember him by the day of his death ( The month of Nisan 14th day of the Jewish calendar )- Ecclesiastes 7:1

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How is a Catholic supposedly sound like?
And yes, Catholics can still be excommunicated.

Back in the 70's I know a married Catholic who walked out on his wife and moved in with another woman.
To this day he has never been excommunicated, so it makes we wonder what does a person have to do to get excommunicated. Apparently open living in adultery is Not an excommunication offence.

metis

Jesus said "Let he whom is without sin cast the first stone", plus December 25th is not considered Jesus' actual birthday in Catholicism but is a commemoration of his birth and existence.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I do understand that Jesus was without sin. In fact, that's the beauty of Jesus' life. Although he was a man tempted in all points as you and I, he loved us enough to keep himself sinless, to remain the lamb without blemish God required for our redemption. He even obeyed God to the death of the cross. He had free will and therefore could easily have taken the devil up on his offer to rule all the kingdoms of the world. Fortunately for us, Jesus knew that his kingdom was not of this world.

Getting back to Jesus being tempted in all points like you and I:
First of all, God can not be tempted. Secondly, do you have a sense of being God when you face temptation? I assume you don't. So if you don't but Jesus did, it could hardly be said that he was tempted like all of us, could it? Do you really think there is any chance God would succumb to temptation (if He could even be tempted)?

I believe it makes a difference whether it is a sin I want or one I don't want. If it is one I want then I don't want God to bother me but if it is one I don't want I certainly want His presence to strengthen my resolve.

I believe the idea that temptations come to all of us, is what that means. Not that God has to react to them the same way we do.

I believe there is absolutely none, which is why Jesus was without sin.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Back in the 70's I know a married Catholic who walked out on his wife and moved in with another woman.
To this day he has never been excommunicated, so it makes we wonder what does a person have to do to get excommunicated. Apparently open living in adultery is Not an excommunication offence.

I believe excommunication is a last resort. Our first duty is to try to restore the person back to living according to the faith.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus said "Let he whom is without sin cast the first stone", plus December 25th is not considered Jesus' actual birthday in Catholicism but is a commemoration of his birth and existence.

I believe his actual birthday is Dec 24 and the 25th is the day we celebrate it although there is still a tradition of Christmas Eve service.

lostwanderingsoul

I believe his actual birthday is Dec 24 and the 25th is the day we celebrate it although there is still a tradition of Christmas Eve service.
Jesus was probably born in September or October because there were shepherds in the fields with their sheep and it is too cold in December. The sheep are taken to lower altitudes where it is warmer. December 25 was chosen because it is close to a pagan celebration of the middle of winter. It is easier to get pagans to convert to your religion if you keep their holidays and just give them a new name. This is true of much of the Roman church.

metis

Why do you believe that, especially since we know that the Church chose that date as a commemoration, thus not as his actual birthday that know one knows for certain when occurring.

IOW, it was a special date put on the "liturgical calendar" that also includes the commemoration of many saints cited by the Church, most of which we have no clue as to when their birthday was.

rrobs

I believe it makes a difference whether it is a sin I want or one I don't want. If it is one I want then I don't want God to bother me but if it is one I don't want I certainly want His presence to strengthen my resolve.

I believe the idea that temptations come to all of us, is what that means. Not that God has to react to them the same way we do.

I believe there is absolutely none, which is why Jesus was without sin.
If it was impossible for Jesus to succumb to temptation and it is certain that we will succumb, then he was in no way tempted like you and me which makes Hebrews 4:15 a lie.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I believe excommunication is a last resort. Our first duty is to try to restore the person back to living according to the faith.
Well, I can certainly agree with the ^ above ^ but this man left his wife without divorcing her. He had No scriptural grounds. He lived with different women for year after year amounting to decades. So, how was this church-attending man restored back to living according to the faith - What does a person have to do to be excommunicated if Not 1 Corinthians 5:11-13