• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"A riot is the language of the unheard"

"A riot is the language of the unheard" - do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters

Kirran

Premium Member
Nopes. Do not know it myself that well. Lots of english translations though. The laws are not often pretty though, be warned
LINK

I was being facetious. I've read quite a bit about them, although never the source texts themselves. I am rather indifferent to them. Thanks for the link! I'll save it in bookmarks.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Riots certainly have their place. The people who whine about them are usually right-wingers who want the people rioting to shut up and "behave" (i.e. be quiet and stay in your place). I notice riots by right-wingers are usually ignored by their own (like race riots) or praised (such as the Boston Tea Party), as well, so there's hypocrisy thrown in.

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
Dude, it was a question responding to another claiming that Vietnam war protests were peaceful. Please read the entire series in the conversation before making a conclusion.
Sorry missed the "?" at the end of the sentence. Sometimes one's mind sees thing that aren't there and other times doesn't see things that are there.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Riots certainly have their place. The people who whine about them are usually right-wingers who want the people rioting to shut up and "behave" (i.e. be quiet and stay in your place). I notice riots by right-wingers are usually ignored by their own (like race riots) or praised (such as the Boston Tea Party), as well, so there's hypocrisy thrown in.
The same thing was said about Tea Party protests by the Left. I avow the freedom of people to forcefully protest even if I do not agree with their beliefs and opinions.

suncowiam

Didn't you defend the use of the atomic bomb back in the day?

There are circunstances where rioting is less destructive than the alternatives. There is not always a better choice.

Strawman... :)

Because, there is a peaceful solution to this. It's called voting. Those people that didn't vote, shame on them.

The US has a system that allows change. It's just not instantaneous as everyone would like it to be. Change will come if people actually participate in the system.

There are many to blame for Trump's rise, but it's definitely not the owners whose properties were destroyed in the riots.

Kirran

Premium Member
Strawman... :)

Because, there is a peaceful solution to this. It's called voting. Those people that didn't vote, shame on them.

The US has a system that allows change. It's just not instantaneous as everyone would like it to be. Change will come if people actually participate in the system.

There are many to blame for Trump's rise, but it's definitely not the owners whose properties were destroyed in the riots.

Aren't many good options though, huh?

Could the civil rights movement's goals have been achieved through voting alone? The gay liberation movement's?

suncowiam

Aren't many good options though, huh?

Could the civil rights movement's goals have been achieved through voting alone? The gay liberation movement's?

Since you brought it up... How much can you claim on fact that rioting helped the civil rights movement? Then concerning protesting where no laws were broken? Then simply through voting?

Mind you, that I want change also, but how are we coming to the conclusion that the only change we can come with is through violence and illegal activities?

Kirran

Premium Member
Since you brought it up... How much can you claim on fact that rioting helped the civil rights movement? Then concerning protesting where no laws were broken? Then simply through voting?

Mind you, that I want change also, but how are we coming to the conclusion that the only change we can come with is through violence and illegal activities?

I think it was protesting, supplemented with rioting, speaking and rhetoric which got things changed.

suncowiam

I think it was protesting, supplemented with rioting, speaking and rhetoric which got things changed.

But you think?

Keep in mind that we are talking about the Donald. So if people don't want the Donald and his conservative agenda to rule the law of the land, then what can we do about that given the system that we have in the US?

Do I need to smash windows in order to change this?

Kirran

Premium Member
But you think?

Keep in mind that we are talking about the Donald. So if people don't want the Donald and his conservative agenda to rule the law of the land, then what can we do about that given the system that we have in the US?

Do I need to smash windows in order to change this?

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, I don't think that's what the real purpose of a protest is. It's about raising awareness, bringing people together, raising confidence.

How would the gay liberation movement have got going without the Stonewall riots?

suncowiam

As I have said elsewhere in this thread, I don't think that's what the real purpose of a protest is. It's about raising awareness, bringing people together, raising confidence.

How would the gay liberation movement have got going without the Stonewall riots?

Why are you asking me hypothetical questions? I have no way to answer them without being God.

I'm differentiating protesting and rioting by the way. I have no issues with protesting because it is a right for Americans to voice their opinions. If we all do it in a legal manner. The rioting becomes a privilege for a few. That's wrong and unfair.

One could also argue that the rioting brings the wrong type of awareness to the cause. As far as I can tell, the conservatives are even more angry and upset about this. Honestly, I can't blame them. They did it by voting so now it's there turn. They endured 8 years of Obama and I don't recall conservatives rioting. They definitely voiced their opinions but as far as I can tell, they did it peacefully.

I seriously can't believe that some folks are advocating destruction and violence as a means of change. We are not living in WW2. The holocaust is not happening. Stop with the comparisons. We have a valid system that works if people just actually practice it. If Obama happened twice then it can happen again. SERIOUSLY, STOP WITH ALL THIS BS ABOUT THE NEED FOR VIOLENCE.