• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A request for a Sanatana Dharma DIR- Dharmic and Staff members Only

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Hinduism♥Krishna:namaste

Hinduism♥Krishna;3737793 said:
Pranam Ratikala..

What ? Another forum as Sanatana Dharma ? Who's not agreeing here that Hinduism is not Sanatana Dharma ?

As far as I know, Sanatana Dharma is an alternative name of Hindu Dharma or Aryan's Dharma. May I know what do you see differences between Sanatana Dharma & Hinduism ? I think you don't have clear conception of Sanatana/Hindu dharma. Sanatana Dharma is the dharma that is purely based on Veda and Puranas and other Vedic scriptures. And Hinduism too is defined by the same definition. I hope someone is not going to think about Iskcon's definition.

prehaps young man you would do me the service of concidering that I may just have learnt something in my much longer life time than yours ???

prehaps also I might politely ask that you think carefully before you start hopeing no one will think of Iskcon , or their deffinition ???

this is exactly the bigoted remarks that I wish to escape from and enjoy a respectfull and peacefull devotees life in Sanatan Dharma DIR ..A non sectarian safe haven for discussion and spiritual upliftment :)

If we create another forum as Sanatana Dharma, new comers will think that Hinduism is not Sanatana dharma, which we don't want.
new comers are not so stupid that they canot read and canot weigh up any difference or lack of difference , they can also ask questions and feel welcome .
And if you think that Buddhism, jainism are Sanatana dharma traditions, then you're wrong. Buddhism or any other religion has nothing to do with Sanatana Dharma. So why should we create Sanatana Dharma forum ?
this is the impetiousness of youth speaking ...I did not say that Buddhism Jainism and Shiki were Sanatana Dharma , but I think you will find that we share many of the same principles .

Remember our Dharma is nameless. When we call Sanatana Dharma it means the dharma which gives us eternality. So the name eternal. When we say Hindu dharma it means the dharma owned by Hindus or Aryans. Another alternatives for Hinduism are Arya dharma and Vedic dharma. ?
Sanatana Dharma is not ''Owned'' ...it is ever present , therefore it belongs to he who realises it .

So do you wanna create forums for these names also ?
no , but I would love the chance to discuss the principles

We don't want a play in names.. ( I have rated thia thread as * terrible )

Hare Krishna
I forgive you :)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste

Originally Posted by Asha

Surely this is not a suggestion to replace Hinduism DIR just create a sub section for peacefull learned discussions ?

Then Hinduism DIR is for them, Sanatana Dharma is for those whos gurus teach Sanatana Dharma and want to discuss with like minded students.

A more private place like Theists only would be realy helpfull.

This is a very good suggestion. Thank you for this. :)

thank you both this would be most welcome :namaste

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram :namaste

Hinduism♥Krishna;3737803 said:
Pranam, Ratikala

Should we consider this request from an Iskconite or from a Hindu or from a Buddhist ?

We all are interested to know...

an adherent of Sanatan Dharma ....who has had also the great fortune to study Buddhism

many who have taken the time to read my posts will have allready worked this out :)

but still I forgive your youthfull impetiousness :):):)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Hinduism♥Krishna;3737821 said:
Pranam JayBholenath.. Please don't get bothered.

I just want to know whether she ever calls herself a Hindu ?

By that question, I was just checking whether this request has any hidden intention to include Buddhism or Jainism in Sanatana Dharma or not.

Thank you

no , I dont call my self Hindu , I call my self Vaisnava , yet I am equaly honest that before taking diksha I was Buddhist .

prehaps if you would like to understand me better you could read one of my favorite Bhajans ....

Vaishnava (devotees of Lord Vishnu) people are those who,
Feel the pain of others,
Help those who are in misery,
But never let ego or conceit enter their mind.

Vaishnavas, respect the entire world,
Do not censure anyone,
Keep their words, actions and thoughts pure,
The mother of such a soul is blessed.

Vaishnavas see all equally, renounce greed and avarice,
Respects women as he respects his own mother,
Their tongue might get tired, but they will never speak falsehood,
Their hands would never touch the wealth of another.

Vaishnavas do not succumb to worldly attachments,
They are detached from worldly pleasures,
They are enticed by the name of God (Shri Ram),
All holy sites of pilgrimage are embodied within them.

Vaishnavas encompasses the absence of greed and deceit,
They have renounced all types of lust and anger,
The author of this poem (Narsi) would be grateful to meet such a soul,
By who's virtue, liberates their entire lineage.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
If the existing DIR is RENAMED from Hinduism DIR to Sanatana Dharma DIR, I really don't care, and actually the term Sanatana Dharma is in fact becoming familiar in the West and the world.

But I do NOT want a SDDIR next to a HDIR. That would really confuse things.

Or leaving it as is, ok with me.

atanu

Premium Member
If the existing DIR is RENAMED from Hinduism DIR to Sanatana Dharma DIR, I really don't care, and actually the term Sanatana Dharma is in fact becoming familiar in the West and the world.

I second this.

Stormcry

Pranam Shiva :)

But Sanatana Dharma is not the official name of religion. Religious Forums should maintain quality of DIR. Yes, Sanatana Dharma is now becoming popular in the west but they also know that Santana Dharma is just an alternative name. Then why should we create a new SD dir or rename Hinduism dir ?

The only way after compromising is that we should add Sanatana Dharma in Bracket ?

Hinduism(Sanatana Dharma) DIR

What do you say ? It's much much better than stealing Eternality of Hinduism. Creating Sanatana Dharma DIR with Hinduism DIR is just some kind of attack on Hinduism DIR. Moreover that request of creating new Sanatana Dharma DIR is from the person who is experiencing Hindu word phobia.

Hare Krishna...

Last edited:

Ravi500

Hinduism♥Krishna;3737903 said:
Hmmm. In kalki purana why there is a big stormy battle between Lord kalki - vishnu and Buddhists ;) there it is predicted that lord kalki will kill millions of Buddhists ? Does anyone know the reason ? Why would lord kalki demolish Buddhism though Buddhism is Sanatana dharma as some people think ? Why lord kalki don't want Buddhists in Satya yuga ?

But don't you think that is absurd and contradictory !

Why should Vishnu create Buddhism in his avatar as Bhagavan Buddha and then destroy it in his next avatar as Kalki ! It is actually synonymous with Buddha destroying Buddhism ( when he need not have created it in the first place ).

Many Hindu sages also quote Buddha and other Buddhist masters in their teachings. Would they also perish in Kalki's hands!Also killing poor innocent buddhist sannyasins would also be contradictory to the Hindu teachings of ahimsa.

Ahimsa Paramo Dharmah -- Non-violence is the greatest dharma.

ratikala

Istha gosthi

Hinduism♥Krishna;3738568 said:
Pranam Shiva :)

But Sanatana Dharma is not the official name of religion. Religious Forums should maintain quality of DIR. Yes, Sanatana Dharma is now becoming popular in the west but they also know that Santana Dharma is just an alternative name. Then why should we create a new SD dir or rename Hinduism dir ?

there is no suggestion to re name Hinduism DIR ....Hinduism DIR is fine as it is , and everyone wanted it Blue to stop trolling and disruption from outside posting , personal I am not sure that it has worked because the disruption seems to come from within either from overly staunch sectarians or from those that register as Hindu because it is their cultural birth right , either way it is plaged by posts which cause offence and bad feeling . there is also a problem with all posts sinking into the same discussions over and over again .

The only way after compromising is that we should add Sanatana Dharma in Bracket ?

Hinduism(Sanatana Dharma) DIR

What do you say ?

NO , .... that was not the intention as it does not give those that wish to seriously discuss the principles of what they have been taught in a place that is beyond the constant ruination of so many threads , by debates about Aryan invasion theories and constant snipeing at certain sects and dissrespect towards other peoples traditions ...

It's much much better than stealing Eternality of Hindism. Creating Sanatana Dharma DIR with Hinduism DIR is just some kind of attack on Hinduism DIR. Moreover that request of creating new Sanatana Dharma DIR is from the person who is experiencing Hindu word phobia.

I am quite happy to have a rational discussion with you so please do not think I am angry or that I am attacking you I am simply observing and making coment ....

here you say ''stealing Eternality of Hindism'' .... why the need to be so defensive and so dramatic ? .......who will steal Sanatana Dharma by discussing it in another room which is green and a little more open to others who share the same principles ? .....
''just some kind of attack on Hinduism DIR'' ......and what attack is it on Hinduism DIR ? ....It is a request for a peacfull place where I dont get attacked for having a Buddhist background , and a place where I dont have to worry about violating the rules or upseting other members if I should mention the similarities of some principles , practices , realisations and beleifs shared by both Budddhism and Hinduism ? ....
''Moreover that request of creating new Sanatana Dharma DIR is from the person who is experiencing Hindu word phobia.''
..... I am hot phobic of the word Hinduism , as usual your remark is overly extreme and confrontational , ... I could take offence at your remarks and many remarks you have made in the past , but I do not take offence , I simply reqest that you stop this kind of behavior as it is behavior like this that I wish to escape , as I do not find it constructive . nor do I find it constructive that you should continualy question which tradition I come from when in many posts I have said that I am Gaudiya Vaisnava , ....
I have also mentioned numerous times that I have freinds in both Gaudiya Math and within Iskcon , yet you continualy make derogetory remarks about Iskcon ??? ...why do this ??? ....I do not ask you which Vaisnava tradition you belong to ??? ....nor would I run down your tradition even if I knew what it was ?

a little while back shiva fan ji , made a very good observation and pointed to the necessity for a sence of humor as Hindus have allways had their differences , this is a good approach and I am all for a little lightness but I do not want to spend my entire life having to take the light hearted approach to my practice just because others canot control their bigotry , some times I like to sit down and have a serious devotees conversation with other polite devotees .

Hare Krishna...

it sadens me that you say this , then show dissrespect to other Vaisnava's
prabu ji , surely ones actions and words must be equaly respectfull .

Ravi500

I agree in a general sense. A forum such as 'Indian Philosophy' or 'Other Hindu Traditions' may help.

However, I do think that to start a forum to accommodate atheistic philosophy may be created.

Yes, this too can go a long way in reducing the chaos and conflict in the forum.

God, like feelings of love and compassion, is intangible. But it is faith in this unseen intangible, not perceived by the senses but by the heart and intuition, that brings theists together. It is difficult to explain this to atheists who rely on the senses and hence there is bound to be conflict in the process.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
sat sri akal treks ji :namaste

Since Sikhi was mentioned in the OP...

Respectfully, Ratikala, Sikhi is also not a 'Sanatan Dharma'. Some people and groups do follow a form of 'Sanatan Sikhi' but it runs counter to mainstream Sikhi.

In the past, threads in the Sikh DIR which are more 'Sanatan Sikh' have been moved from the Sikh DIR to the parent 'Dharmic Religions DIR'. It seems to be an adequate catch-all already.

I was not suggesting that a sikh should nececarily come under the fold of Sanatana Dharma , nor a Buddhist or Jain , but simply that each share many comon principles ,
quote Ratikala original post....
personaly I belive it should be green as the principles of Sanatana Dharma form the foundation also of other traditions such as Buddhism Jainism and Sikhi , and that such a DIR would provide a space for open and freindly discussion .

I simply enjoy to share our common ground and find it productive to discuss our commonly held principles :namaste

I am more interested in open discussion than I am in clasifying and labeling peoples traditions .

I have in the past deliberately posted in Dharmic DIR with the hope of opening a discussion which was open to all Dharmic faiths only to be attaced by Buddhists who wanted the discussion in Buddhist DIR where there were then complaints about non Buddhists posting there .....? ... oh well I tried .

Stormcry

Pranam, Ravi.

I hope you're not ex-buddhist. Dude, take this lightly :)

But don't you think that is absurd and contradictory !

No, it's not absurd. The answer is hidden in Puranas.

Why should Vishnu create Buddhism in his avatar as Bhagavan Buddha and then destroy it in his next avatar as Kalki ! It is actually synonymous with Buddha destroying Buddhism ( when he need not have created it in the first place ).

Good question ! Yes, This seems absurd that Vishnu himself will fight with his followers. But note that his buddha avatar was not to establish Dharma. It was to establish Ahimsa. He took that avatara to attract those people who don't believe in god and who are meat eaters. By seeing rising of adharma from people who don't believe in god, Vishnu had to take a Avatara as a non believer of god as most of people weren't believing god. He just wanted to control them by teaching some moral values like Ahimsa. At the end of Kaliyuga, adharma will be in its full glory as earth will get burdened by non-vedic religions. Finally there will be a big battle like Mahabharata between lord Kalki's Army and mlecchas who will help buddhists in that battle. They'll get so much frightened that they'll hide themselves in Jungles. In the end, Kalki would again establish Hindu Dharma in Bharatavarsha in its full glory and Satyayuga will begin in Bharatavarsha.

Many Hindu sages also quote Buddha and other Buddhist masters in their teachings. Would they also perish in Kalki's hands!

I think worshipping Buddha is not a problem as he is vishnu himself. Worshiping his teachings may be a problem.

Also killing poor innocent buddhist sannyasins would also be contradictory to the Hindu teachings of ahimsa.

Who said lord kalki will kill innocents ? :)

Thank You. Hare Krishna om..

Last edited:

Stormcry

Ravi said:
Ahimsa Paramo Dharmah -- Non-violence is the greatest dharma.

Dharma & Adharma depends on various conditions. In Sanatana dharma, above statement has no existence.

For some time, Adharma becomes Dharma and Dharma becomes Adharma. himsa is forbidden in many conditions, the same himsa is clearly allowed for Kshatriyas. When he would not kill people in battle it will become adharma though killing someone is generally considered as Adharma.

So there's nothing like " Ahimsa is the greatest dharma" in Vaidika dharma. That statement is fit only for Buddhism.

Govinda Hari

Last edited:

Ravi500

Hinduism♥Krishna;3738727 said:
Pranam, Ravi.

I think worshipping Buddha is not a problem as he is vishnu himself. Worshiping his teachings may be a problem.

:confused::confused:

Subject to interpolations by vested interests.

Good question ! Yes, This seems absurd that Vishnu himself will fight with his followers. But note that his buddha was not establish Dharma. It was to establish Ahimsa. He took that avatara to attract those people who don't believe in god and who are meat eaters. By seeing rising adharma from people who don't believe in god, Vishnu had to take a Avatara as a non believer of god as most of people weren't believing god. He just wanted to control with teaching some moral values like Ahimsa.

Ahimsa is actually more well-established in Jainism than Buddhism.

As per you,he is just taking birth to impose vegetarianism and ahimsa among the unbelievers. He could have sent one of his subordinates, the Rishis or siddhas to do this trivial job.

Also you seem to be understimating the power of the avatar here, which is blasphemy in itself and can subject you to countless births in hell. ;)

Don't say I didn't warn you.:D

Stormcry

Ravi500 said:
Subject to interpolations by vested interests.

Pranam...

Interpolations in Kalki Purana are just impossible. Because The same thing is told in Bhagavata Purana, which is many times commented by numerous acharyas from Advaita and dvaita Vaishnavas. This is the purana which has been commented most times. So there could not be any interpolation. Besides there's not even a single proof of Interpolation.

No one can judge lord vishnu's Avatara and how & why he takes Avatara ? If you wanna know you would have to become a self realised or a Nirguna Bhakta of Vishnu. ;)

Hare Krishna ;)

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi

Pranam, Ravi.

I hope you're not ex-buddhist. Dude, take this lightly :)

:( ex Buddhist ???

then you will be able to find the answer as this will make for a very interesting thead .

Good question ! Yes, This seems absurd that Vishnu himself will fight with his followers. But note that his buddha avatar was not to establish Dharma. It was to establish Ahimsa. He took that avatara to attract those people who don't believe in god and who are meat eaters. By seeing rising of adharma from people who don't believe in god, Vishnu had to take a Avatara as a non believer of god as most of people weren't believing god. He just wanted to control them by teaching some moral values like Ahimsa. At the end of Kaliyuga, adharma will be in its full glory as earth will get burdened by non-vedic religions. Finally there will be a big battle like Mahabharata between lord Kalki's Army and mlecchas who will help buddhists in that battle. They'll get so much frightened that they'll hide themselves in Jungles. In the end, Kalki would again establish Hindu Dharma in Bharatavarsha in its full glory and Satyayuga will begin in Bharatavarsha.

I do not belive it , you are giving a very poor inturpretation , ...the whole purpose of Lord Buddha' apperance is to re establish Dharma . Ahimsa is only a part of that Dharma ....

A Buddhist takes refuge in Buddha Dharma and Sangha he does not worship in the Hindu sence ...

Who said lord kalki will kill innocents ? :)

Thank You. Hare Krishna om..

in this you are correct , but it is also true that by killing Kalki liberates even the atheists and the miscreants ...