• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A request for a Sanatana Dharma DIR- Dharmic and Staff members Only

Stormcry

How about considering this request from a devotee of God ?

Don't even dare to judge sister Ratikala on her beliefs, origins, whatever. She is, without doubt, the most fervent bhakta of Sri Hari here, no one here have any right to boot her out here or to judge her on anything.

This is unrelated to this topic about the organisation of DIR here, and highly offensive to her and us to treat her like this.

Pranam JayBholenath.. Please don't get bothered.

I just want to know whether she ever calls herself a Hindu ?

By that question, I was just checking whether this request has any hidden intention to include Buddhism or Jainism in Sanatana Dharma or not.

Thank you

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Hinduism♥Krishna;3737821 said:
By that question, I was just checking whether this request has any hidden intention to include Buddhism or Jainism in Sanatana Dharma or not.

There is already Buddhism DIR, Jainism DIR, Sikhism DIR, and for blurred matters or joining, there is Dharmic DIR. Aaaaaand there is the religious debates section for arguing. There is no need to include Buddhism is Hinduism, Sikkhism into Santana Dharma, or Jainism into Vaisnavism. The forum organisation is clear enough.

What is more to be made ? I am the only one who find this clear enough ? :confused:

Ravi500

Namaskaram prabhu ji's :namaste

there has been much talk in Hindu DIR about what constitutes Dharma and what makes one a Hindu

I would like to ask not just about what is our svadharma, our 'personal duty' ...

I would like to discuss how we understand 'Sanatana Dharma' ....the fundamental unchanging principles ...the Eternal Truth ...which lay at the core of Hinduism and other Dharmicaly based faiths .

personaly there is something that appeals very deeply to me in its non sectarian nature and in truth if some one were to ask my religion I would prefer to say Sanatana Dharma than I would to say Hindu .

without wishing to disrespect Hinduism in any manner , I feel that the term Samatana Dharma concentrates solely on the fundamental religious principles which underlay most traditions leaving aside all the accreations of culture and cast making all who embrace those values and beleifs feel equaly welcome .

therefore I would like to ask others to join me in requesting a Sanatana Dharma DIR
personaly I belive it should be green as the principles of Sanatana Dharma form the foundation also of other traditions such as Buddhism jainism and sikhi , and that such a DIR would provide a space for open and freindly discussion .

I look forward to hearing your thoughts :namaste

I agree with you and Asha that there can be a Sanatana Dharma DIR that focusses solely on the fundamental teachings of Hinduism without any contradiction of the scriptural teachings or the enlightened masters of modern times. This can be made a blue dir.

A Hinduism forum can also be put , a green dir, that can be more liberal and gives space to traditions such as Buddha Dharma, Jaina Dharma, Sikh Dharma, Charvak Dharma which has its roots in it, and which would be ideal for syncretists who wish to discuss issues.

If increase in forums can reduce the chaos over here, I would say that option should be studied as well.This seems to have reaped dividends in other forums.

The Judaism forum has 6 subforums and an another forum called Messianic Judaism. The christianity forum has over 20 subforums. The islam forum has 5 subforums. The Buddhism forum has 4 subforums.

Considering that Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world with over a billion adherents, I am sure one or two forums too can be added to it if it can help smoothen things out.

Just a suggestion. :namaste

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend LuisDantas,

Well understand what you have said and finally am making a pitch for a forum 'sanatan dharma' under "Everything under the kitchen sink"; sound totally out of place? In fact it is the right place considering that an can view this idea 'without boundaries' which the label 'sanatan dharma' actually stands for.
Consider this:
Sanatana Dharma is is the original name of what is now popularly called Hinduism or Hindu Dharma. The terms Hindu and Hinduism are said to be a more recent development, while the more accurate term is Sanatana Dharma. It is a code of ethics, a way of living through which one may achieve moksha (enlightenment, liberation). It is the world's most ancient culture and the socio, spiritual, and religious tradition of almost one billion of the earth's inhabitants. Sanatana Dharma represents much more than just a religion; rather, it provides its followers with an entire worldview, way of life and with a coherent and rational view of reality.
Now suppose one is fond of eating and using this fondness to eat consciously [in dhyana]one can get liberated. for more try: eat your way to enlightenment | the art of eating meditation Eating for Enlightenment - Sacred Serpent
Now read this link: The Top 15 Ways to Achieve Spiritual Enlightenment - I AM Emotional Intelligence Mindfulness | I AM Emotional Intelligence Mindfulness It mentions 15 ways to enlightenment.
In addition am sure all the forums under the kitchen sink are all ways of life and when someone lives his/her way of life it itself becomes the way to enlightenment.

Well as is my human dharma am executing my dharma to bring the whole of humanity under ONE MIND and the label 'Sanatan dharma' is best suited to do so except that one's mind needs to be 'without boundaries' to reach that state of One Mind.

Well the results are not for me to consider but only to do my duty.

Love & rgds

Stormcry

There is already Buddhism DIR, Jainism DIR, Sikhism DIR, and for blurred matters or joining, there is Dharmic DIR. Aaaaaand there is the religious debates section for arguing. There is no need to include Buddhism is Hinduism, Sikkhism into Santana Dharma, or Jainism into Vaisnavism. The forum organisation is clear enough.

Then what's the point in creating new forum ? I am not getting any solid reason, not from a thread owner also. When we'll create a Sanatana forum, newbies will think that Hinduism is not a Sanatana dharma or Hinduism is a part of Sanatana Dharma. There could be another meaning ie Hinduism, Buddhism etc are all parts of Sanatana Dharma. But this is a clear fun as we know Buddhism or Jainism had been created in recent years while hinduism is Sanatana whose origin goes back to the creation of universe or Veda. And no any hindu accepts those religions as Sanatana or dharma based on veda. Buddhism or Jainism are far away from Veda.

atanu

Premium Member
Namaskaram prabhu ji's :namaste

there has been much talk in Hindu DIR about what constitutes Dharma and what makes one a Hindu

I would like to ask not just about what is our svadharma, our 'personal duty' ...

I would like to discuss how we understand 'Sanatana Dharma' ....the fundamental unchanging principles ...the Eternal Truth ...which lay at the core of Hinduism and other Dharmicaly based faiths .

personaly there is something that appeals very deeply to me in its non sectarian nature and in truth if some one were to ask my religion I would prefer to say Sanatana Dharma than I would to say Hindu .

without wishing to disrespect Hinduism in any manner , I feel that the term Samatana Dharma concentrates solely on the fundamental religious principles which underlay most traditions leaving aside all the accreations of culture and cast making all who embrace those values and beleifs feel equaly welcome .

therefore I would like to ask others to join me in requesting a Sanatana Dharma DIR
personaly I belive it should be green as the principles of Sanatana Dharma form the foundation also of other traditions such as Buddhism jainism and sikhi , and that such a DIR would provide a space for open and freindly discussion .

I look forward to hearing your thoughts :namaste

It should be kept in context that the Sanatana dharma that Hindus talk about is also called Vaidika dharma.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Friend LuisDantas,

Well understand what you have said and finally am making a pitch for a forum 'sanatan dharma' under "Everything under the kitchen sink"; sound totally out of place?

Zenzero, I am honor-bound not to give you an answer here in this DIR.

I will answer you if you bring the matter to Site Feedback (where other staff members may pitch in if they want, but no one else will be able of reading the thread) or to one of the Debate areas (probably General Religious Debates or Religious Debates are the best places).

Take care!

Stormcry

It should be kept in context that the Sanatana dharma that Hindus talk about is also called Vaidika dharma.

Yes, brother. Hindu, Vedic, Arya are just adjectives given by us to our loving Dharma for viewing it from different angles . In reality, our greatest Dharma is Nameless.

Hindu Dharma = Hindu's Dharma ( Hindu word is derived from Vedic word Indu or Bharata. Hindu means who are descended from Indra or from Seven Rishis)

Vaidika dharma = Dharma based on Veda. This term is used to exclude Abrahamic religions and Buddhism or Jainism.

Arya Dharma = Dharma of Aryas. I see this term more accurate even than Vaidika. I have read the mention of this Arya Dharma term in many puranas. So this is the most ancient name of our Hinduism.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend LuisDantas,

Zenzero, I am honor-bound not to give you an answer here in this DIR.
In return honour you for that!
Though it is understood that the best place is site feedback which is already there; have discussed in the open as someone has similar ideas and needed to share the reasoning with everyone.

Kindly note that have no demand for anything from anyone as am in One Mind without distinctions or discriminations and those with two minds are free to read into it so that in an effort somewhere a merging of One Mind happens!

Love & rgds

Stormcry

Ratikala said:
a Sanatana Dharma DIR
personaly I belive it should be green as the principles of Sanatana Dharma form the foundation also of other traditions such as Buddhism jainism and sikhi

So this means Hinduism is not foundation of Buddhism or Jainism ? SANATANA DHARMA IS.. I see this the hidden attack on hinduism by indirectly calling hinduism as reformed religion from so called Sanatana dharma.

Again... What do you understand by Sanatana Dharma ? I accept that they had been born from Sanatana Dharma. But that doesn't mean they are Sanatana Dharma. One should not do a mistake of calling them Sanatana Dharma.

When the dharma says " we have reincarnations but there's no existence of Atma" then that dharma becomes non-vedic though it has some beliefs derived from Veda.

I repeatedly say, Sanatana Dharma is that dharma which is purely based on Veda and not having even a single principle which is not mentioned in Vedic Scriptures.

Hmmm. In kalki purana why there is a big stormy battle between Lord kalki - vishnu and Buddhists ;) there it is predicted that lord kalki will kill millions of Buddhists ? Does anyone know the reason ? Why would lord kalki demolish Buddhism though Buddhism is Sanatana dharma as some people think ? Why lord kalki don't want Buddhists in Satya yuga ?

if some one were to ask my religion I would prefer to say Sanatana Dharma than I would to say Hindu

.. This is what Iskconites think and Iskcon is not all hinduism. Now another confusion for me.. . Should we consider this request as per your personal view or as per Iskcon's view?

You don't like a Hindu word. It's your personal problems. Almost all hindus love hindu word. Hindu word was formed by hindu themselves not by persians. In some vedic scriptures we find Hindu word. Hindus used to call themselves hindus to mentain distinct identify of original residents of India(Aryans) from invaders like muslims. You dislike hindu word. Is this the reason of the request... Hinduism is the official name of Sanatana Dharma across the globe. I really don't understand in hinduism forum what problems you are experiencing in discussing those things that you would post in Sanatana Dharma forum ?

Last edited:

Maya3

I don't understand. Really. We are all Hindus here following Hinduism, another name for Sanatana Dharma. Peaceful and learned discussion are supposed to happen in the Hindu DIR. Debates are supposed to be in the same faith debate section.

I don't understand what is more to be made ?

We can create endless sections for people that like chihuahuas, people that like autralian sheperd, people that like tibetan mastiffs, people that like this breed, people that like that breed... And so what ? Everyone discuss with him/herself about his./her favorite specific breed in their personnal section ? Since everyone, in the end, like dogs, why not discuss together into a general "dogs" DIR ?

Aren't you all tired of endlessely debating the same things ?
Of arguing over and over and over in the wrong sections ?
Tired of seeing strife and people just hitting each others head with their own books ?
Why just not using the DIR correctly for beginning ? And stop debating and arguing there for once ?

I am sincerely tired of all this, of people debating the same issues, of 3 - 4 - 5 differents treads all at the wrong section of the forum full of people arguing and arguing and arguing over the same subjects, I see only this within this Hindu community: arguing, arguing arguing arguing.

Instead of trying to "break down" what we are into pieces so everyone can have its little share of personal ideal DIR, why not acting as Hindus and unite each other ?

Seriously, what's the matter with this ? Aren't you all proud to be Hindus ? You need to have special section with special terms for "people that are new to this", "people who are really learned and serious", etc etc ... ? Whatever Sanatana Dharma or Hinduism, we all cannot take care of a DIR correctly and be united in our common faith, why adding more mess with more sections, more DIR, more discrimination between each other ?

I could not agree more.
It is actually getting ridiculous in my opinion. We are becoming like a certain other forum that some of us left due to similar. "Oh you are not Hindu enough...kind of s----t."
And now we are discussing if we are going to change the name because not even the NAME Hindu is Hindu enough...
sigh...
I don't even know what to say.

I agree that if someone is curios about Hinduism they are not going to go look in the Santana Dharma forum.

Maya

atanu

Premium Member
I agree with you and Asha that there can be a Sanatana Dharma DIR that focusses solely on the fundamental teachings of Hinduism without any contradiction of the scriptural teachings or the enlightened masters of modern times. This can be made a blue dir.

A Hinduism forum can also be put , a green dir, that can be more liberal and gives space to traditions such as Buddha Dharma, Jaina Dharma, Sikh Dharma, Charvak Dharma which has its roots in it, and which would be ideal for syncretists who wish to discuss issues.

If increase in forums can reduce the chaos over here, I would say that option should be studied as well.This seems to have reaped dividends in other forums.

The Judaism forum has 6 subforums and an another forum called Messianic Judaism. The christianity forum has over 20 subforums. The islam forum has 5 subforums. The Buddhism forum has 4 subforums.

Considering that Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world with over a billion adherents, I am sure one or two forums too can be added to it if it can help smoothen things out.

Just a suggestion. :namaste

I agree in a general sense. A forum such as 'Indian Philosophy' or 'Other Hindu Traditions' may help.

However naming a new forum 'Sanatana Dharma', separate from the existing 'Hinduism Dir', will only lead to more confusion.

Further, I had some time back suggested some other divisions such as a) 'Dvaita', 'Visistadvaita', 'advaita'; b) "Vaisnava, Saiva, and Sakta, and c)Scripture and Darsana-s. Due to lack of numbers at that time the suggestion was not considered. Probably even now, numbers are not many to warrant such a detailed branching.

However, I do think that to start a forum to accommodate atheistic philosophy may be created.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I think this is a really funny video:​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]wBU8T4hR-6U[/youtube]​

Please remember what ShivaFan said:​

No sense of humor, then you cannot be a Hindu. Because to be a Hindu, means everyone is their own Hindu within a 5 mile radius of their local Hinduisms, and being thus second nature that we are always "fighting" with each other (this is duty or dharma) because we each differ from the other and are like an arc full of one pair of animals from every set, the number one quality of "What is a Hindu?" is "To be a Hindu, means you must have a sense of humor".

Treks

Since Sikhi was mentioned in the OP...

Respectfully, Ratikala, Sikhi is also not a 'Sanatan Dharma'. Some people and groups do follow a form of 'Sanatan Sikhi' but it runs counter to mainstream Sikhi.

In the past, threads in the Sikh DIR which are more 'Sanatan Sikh' have been moved from the Sikh DIR to the parent 'Dharmic Religions DIR'. It seems to be an adequate catch-all already.

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Luis ji :namaste

My current understanding is this:

1. Zenzero thinks of a Sanatana Dharma DIR as essentially the whole forum, or at least not excludent of the Abrahamic Faiths.

2. Asha thinks that, on the contrary, Sanatana Dharma is a more specific, more traditional belief than what is usually considered Hinduism.

3. Ratikala is proposing what would in essence be a second Hinduism DIR, except that it would be green and be named "Sanatana Dharma DIR".

All three proposals are defensable by some perspective, but all three are also at least potentially problematic.

everything in this world is potentialy problematic ....

all I am suggesting is a sub section as in Buddhism DIR you have four we have one ?

and considering the vast difference in the different traditions grouped under the Hindu umbrella , prehaps like Buddhism Dir we could accomodate a few without fear of total confusion ???

If I am not mistaken, most of the time when people make a point of calling their faith "Sanatana Dharma" as opposed to "Hinduism" it is because they want to distinguish their beliefs from the syncretics or perceived syncretics, though. I believe there are nationalistic or traditionalist movements in India that want to rename the country as "Bharat" and to promote the name Sanatana Dharma.

this is not exactly so , it is used as it has specific meaning , to me it has little to do with perceived syncretism or with more recent nationalistic movements , allthough they too wish to refer to Bharatvarsa by its true name .
you do realise I am sure , that India is the name inforced upon the decendants of Bharata tribe ....
On a practical level, I doubt anyone ever thinks of himself or herself as a Sanatana Dharmi that is somehow "not a Hindu". And I don't expect people to essentially admit to be "Hindus who are not really Sanatana Dharmi" either. So it seems to me that having the two areas at the same time is inherently confusing at best, and may easily lead to hard feelings.

without any wish to offend those that are brought up or taught to call themselves Hindu , as I am perfectly happy which ever title a person chooses but I come from a school which uses the term Sanatana Dharma there fore I would prefer to go by that title .
I have met many who call them selves Hindu , but who do not keep the principles of Sanatana Dharma , there in my mind lay the difference , it need not be confusing , but as with all things a willingness to understand is required , also there should be no hard fellings , as amongst the principles of Sanatana Dharma are 'tollerance' and 'forbearance' , Hinduism likewise has inhereted these principles , allthough from some of the arguements in Hinduism DIR one might understand that these practices have not yet been perfected by some ...or are not so strongly valued as they are by the teachers and adherents of Sanatana Dharma .

But that is my outsider's perspective. Feel very free to teach me better.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I believe there are nationalistic or traditionalist movements in India that want to rename the country as "Bharat" and to promote the name Sanatana Dharma.

this is not exactly so , it is used as it has specific meaning , to me it has little to do with perceived syncretism or with more recent nationalistic movements , allthough they too wish to refer to Bharatvarsa by its true name .
you do realise I am sure , that India is the name inforced upon the decendants of Bharata tribe ....

The following is from the Constitution of India*:​

"India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States."