• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A religion that isn't a religion?

MechTech

Hey Everyone! umm first post, yay. I really didn't know where to put this but it seems closest.

So, I've been an atheist for a long time and recently I've seen new religions popping up everywhere. So, I figured I'd start my own, lol. "The Machine Cult" cool name for a religion, more awesome name for a garage! Basically, it's a atheistic religion about fixing your car... or computer... or blender for that matter. What do you think... cool or am I crazy?

MechTech

Well... for starters, we all know that guy, you know the one, in Starbuck's with the handlebar mustache and the Florissant T-shirt? The guy can't even fix a flat tire on his car. lol

But seriously, machines are perhaps man's greatest evolution. I really do believe technical knowledge is the best way to grow as a person (Example: a guy likes airplanes, so he becomes a pilot, then he wants to fix his plane, so he goes and get his airframe and powerplant. His car brakes down, so he goes and gets his SAEs, the he hears of this field call avionics and adds that to his A&P, he thinks he can fix his computer so gets an A+. He gets older, so he becomes an engineer... etc.), and our way off this planet to stars.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hey Everyone! umm first post, yay. I really didn't know where to put this but it seems closest.

So, I've been an atheist for a long time and recently I've seen new religions popping up everywhere. So, I figured I'd start my own, lol. "The Machine Cult" cool name for a religion, more awesome name for a garage! Basically, it's a atheistic religion about fixing your car... or computer... or blender for that matter. What do you think... cool or am I crazy?

So why isn't it a religion?

You mainly just need a set of beliefs concerning the nature of the universe and some sort of moral code. You could create a machine God if you want to make it interesting, but then I suppose you couldn't be an atheist any more.

MechTech

I have a hunch that you are on the verge of discovering Dudeism.

Isn't that the philosophy based on the movie "The Big Lebowski"?

So why isn't it a religion?

You mainly just need a set of beliefs concerning the nature of the universe and some sort of moral code. You could create a machine God if you want to make it interesting, but then I suppose you couldn't be an atheist any more.

Well, there is a Scifi book series called "Warhammer 40,000" (it's more like Lord of the Rings with guns), in it there is a group called the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Core to the Adeptus Mechanicus's beliefs is:

Deus Mechanicus (the machine god)... they believe that the machine god created every machine in the universe and left them for humans to discover.
The Machine Spirit... they believe every machine has an individual personality and soul.
By replacing your flesh with machines, you become closer to the machine god. The "Master Fabricator of Mars" has nearly no organic material left in his body.
It is not man's place to change that which the machine god have created, only build and maintain it. (this has lead to problems as technology is lost, new things are inferior to their older counterparts)

The myth of the machine spirit is close to a phenomenon in maintenance that happens in real life. Two machines, the same make and model, have different technical problems (they seem to behavior differently, have their own temperament). You could send a machine to Depot, where it is completely taken apart and inspected and returned to factory dimensions by the company who made it and it will still have the problem.

Paranoid Android

are you disabled, my brother/sister ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Sounds like Zen to me. With motorcycle maintenance thrown in. *grin*

Does this new movement have beer?