• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A refusal to shake Biden's hand

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This may not be the most appropriate forum for this, but it will do.

See the Times of Israel article: Israeli singer defends refusal to shake Biden's hand on religious grounds. The article begins:

An Israeli pop star who caused an outcry in Israel when she refused to shake hands with visiting US President Joe Biden due to her religious beliefs, has defended her actions and called on her critics to apologize.

“Respect and human dignity are values that I was raised on and which I will raise my children on in the future,” Yuval Dayan wrote in a Facebook post on Friday after her actions drew widespread criticism.

“I ask all those who claimed that I have no respect to take back their words and apologize — not to me — but to my parents,” she wrote.​

What a Bozo! An apology is more than appropriate. Furthermore, the Biden Presidency might wish to apologize to all of us who are embarrassed by the fact that our President didn't know better.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As the old saying goes, "When in Rome do as the Romans".
Its a free country.
In the course of interfaith activity I've encountered a fair number of observant female Muslims and Jews. I would never have put any of them in that situation.

It was a thoughtless, insensitive rookie mistake by the so-called "leader of the free world." His protocol entourage should do its damn job.

pearl

What a Bozo! An apology is more than appropriate. Furthermore, the Biden Presidency might wish to apologize to all of us who are embarrassed by the fact that our President didn't know better.

I guess the WH person in charge of protocal missed this one. Shame on them for not knowing the correctness of each particular Jewish sect.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess the WH person in charge of protocal missed this one. Shame on them for not knowing the correctness of each particular Jewish sect.
According to Yuval Dayan, the singer in question, she told the people in charge of the event that she won't be shaking the president's hand for religious reasons. It's not about knowing each Jewish sect. It's about people doing their basic job.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In the course of interfaith activity I've encountered a fair number of observant female Muslims and Jews. I would never have put any of them in that situation.

It was a thoughtless, insensitive rookie mistake by the so-called "leader of the free world." His protocol entourage should do its damn job.
Definitely. She shouldn't have to defend her refusal.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Then the application of this is that he should not have even gone there, which I agree is something that can be and is debated. In the Middle East, generous hospitality is strongly expected, including even when enemies meet.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Then the application of this is that he should not have even gone there, which I agree is something that can be and is debated. In the Middle East, generous hospitality is strongly expected, including even when enemies meet.
Were you perhaps thinking of the fist-bump instead of his interaction with Yuval Dayan in Israel?

We can discuss the former if you wish, but I assure you that it is extremely easy to interact with observant female Jews and Muslims in an informed, respectful, and hospitable manner, and without imposing the expectation of physical contact.

Can you imagine Biden waking into Buckingham Palace and giving the Queen a peck on the cheek? If you'll forgive the pun: what Biden did was ham-fisted in a culture where pork is taboo, and his handlers should be ashamed of themselves.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Were you perhaps thinking of the fist-bump instead of his interaction with Yuval Dayan in Israel?
Yes.

We can discuss the former if you wish, but I assure you that it is extremely easy to interact with observant female Jews and Muslims in an informed, respectful, and hospitable manner, and without imposing the expectation of physical contact.
Depends, as generally most chasidim won't respond and the same holds true with many Muslem women. I ran across the latter when taking a Palestinian bus in the West Bank and offering my seat to some Muslem women who virtually ignored me. As soon as I did it, I knew I screwed up and I knew better. :(

Can you imagine Biden waking into Buckingham Palace and giving the Queen a peck on the cheek? If you'll forgive the pun: what Biden did was ham-fisted in a culture where pork is taboo, and his handlers should be ashamed of themselves.
I do not agree as that would make the entire trip to S.A. a complete waste of time. Enemies have been known to negotiate, ya know, and sometimes that involves eating a bit of crow.

As Kennedy said, "Don't negotiate out of fear but never fear to negotiate".

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I do not agree as that would make the entire trip to S.A. a complete waste of time. Enemies have been known to negotiate, ya know, and sometimes that involves eating a bit of crow.
Why do you insist on discussing S.A. when the OP is addressing Biden's action vis a vis an Israeli woman during his visit to Israel?