• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A RE-introduction is in order

TJ73

Howdy folks! When I first came here a few years ago, I was immediately obsessed and stimulated by the debate. I was living with my "husband" ( not a state recognized union), a Muslim and had changed so much in my life to accommodate my relationship and my desire for clarity. So I wore the hijab for a couple of years, begrudgingly. I studied and communed with the faithful, never feeling worthy or good and so deeply depressed I could hardly stand it.

So I get invited down south with a relative for a quick weekend of R an R in the sun, something I truly love SUNSHINE. But now that has lost its appeal because I can no longer embrace the warmth and glow and essential vitamin D. I'm covered head to toe. Then the idea of getting on a plane , going through airport security and hanging out in a rural GA town all covered up was too much. So my ex is to take me to the airport... I come down stairs with..... are you ready?..... MY HAIR EXPOSED!

He didn't freak out but was certainly upset. Long story short I could never manage to get a hijab back on and my doubts and longing for mental health and clarity and to no longer be depressed so over took me and our relationship ( which was all the while abusive and dysfunctional anyway).

I took my kids, left everything and moved to a much nicer town and became myself again. I have friends once more( so many didn't know what to do with the new me back then)

I'm happy, the kids are happy and I am completely uncertain spiritually.

***** so I was scared, like I have always been when it comes to religion/faith... Am I doing the wrong thing? Am I heading to Hell? Why can't I do this?. So I decided, I can not get any real confirmation on the truth and far to much is wrong with any thing I have thought thus far so I have a choice. I can "not know" and be scared, miserable and depressed, or " not know" and live hoping that if we are the creation of a great designer, if we are the manifestation of one capable of manifesting, than perhaps that creator knows me, my intentions, my pain and has no Hell agenda in store.

I am grateful for my time in the Muslim community to experience these people and put to bed so many of the irrational, hurtful , bigoted and down right unfair perceptions of them. I felt all the same warmth and love and sense of community as I did when I was church girl. The differences are so insignificant from the perspective of community(detailed dogma aside).

So here I am back to REF. Hoping to talk some more from where I sit now. Unsure but still happier. Anyone miss me?:)

pwfaith

HI! Welcome back. I'm new, so it's nice to meet you and thank you for sharing your story. Wow! I can tell you are a woman of great strength and compassion!

I hope you find what you are looking for spiritually.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Howdy folks! When I first came here a few years ago, I was immediately obsessed and stimulated by the debate. I was living with my "husband" ( not a state recognized union), a Muslim and had changed so much in my life to accommodate my relationship and my desire for clarity. So I wore the hijab for a couple of years, begrudgingly. I studied and communed with the faithful, never feeling worthy or good and so deeply depressed I could hardly stand it.

So I get invited down south with a relative for a quick weekend of R an R in the sun, something I truly love SUNSHINE. But now that has lost its appeal because I can no longer embrace the warmth and glow and essential vitamin D. I'm covered head to toe. Then the idea of getting on a plane , going through airport security and hanging out in a rural GA town all covered up was too much. So my ex is to take me to the airport... I come down stairs with..... are you ready?..... MY HAIR EXPOSED!

He didn't freak out but was certainly upset. Long story short I could never manage to get a hijab back on and my doubts and longing for mental health and clarity and to no longer be depressed so over took me and our relationship ( which was all the while abusive and dysfunctional anyway).

I took my kids, left everything and moved to a much nicer town and became myself again. I have friends once more( so many didn't know what to do with the new me back then)

I'm happy, the kids are happy and I am completely uncertain spiritually.

***** so I was scared, like I have always been when it comes to religion/faith... Am I doing the wrong thing? Am I heading to Hell? Why can't I do this?. So I decided, I can not get any real confirmation on the truth and far to much is wrong with any thing I have thought thus far so I have a choice. I can "not know" and be scared, miserable and depressed, or " not know" and live hoping that if we are the creation of a great designer, if we are the manifestation of one capable of manifesting, than perhaps that creator knows me, my intentions, my pain and has no Hell agenda in store.

I am grateful for my time in the Muslim community to experience these people and put to bed so many of the irrational, hurtful , bigoted and down right unfair perceptions of them. I felt all the same warmth and love and sense of community as I did when I was church girl. The differences are so insignificant from the perspective of community(detailed dogma aside).

So here I am back to REF. Hoping to talk some more from where I sit now. Unsure but still happier. Anyone miss me?:)

Your love for the sun is shared.
I drop my everyday efforts to lay in the light.
There is nothing more real....nothing else will do.

When I was younger, my elders had each to their own faith.
Methodist, Baptist, old style Roman Catholic.
The disciplines, one from the other were a stretch to deal with.

I continued reading old King James.
But the dogma is gone.
As a rogue theologian I focus on what is most likely ahead of me.
I make discussion to that end.

I realize what it means to let go.

And no...you are not headed for hell.

TJ73

Thanks guys, so nice to hear such nice responses. I am waiting for the pendulum to center again. I'm out and about and having a great time... I feel like I sought out faith out of fear and all it did was make me more fearful and paranoid. When I get to a point where I take another look, I want a clear mind, unencumbered by fear of punishment and damnation.
Good to see you Rakhel!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Tj - welcome back! I always liked you and am glad to see you return.

Life is a journey. Your journey into the Muslim world and mindset enriched your life and deepened your understanding of humanity. You didn't make a mistake - you took a little trip. You're still on a trip, so enjoy!

So glad to see you again!

xkatz

TJ, I remember you of course. Nice Muslim convert who's an animal lover, right? Welcome back :)

TJ73

Kathryn, Xkatz, Thanks you both. Nice to come back in again. The board is really rockin these days, lots of familiar names and a plethora of new ones. Besides, where else could I go to stock up on the finest quality wit and sarcasm? lol

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks guys, so nice to hear such nice responses. I am waiting for the pendulum to center again. I'm out and about and having a great time... I feel like I sought out faith out of fear and all it did was make me more fearful and paranoid. When I get to a point where I take another look, I want a clear mind, unencumbered by fear of punishment and damnation.
Good to see you Rakhel!

Welcome back TJ, and thank you: one of the most important functions of this place is to provide a place where people can go to take an honest, objective look at the beliefs and belief systems that have shaped their lives and the way they view the world (for better or worse) and, hopefully, come to terms with these beliefs, get to a point where they can either reject or embrace them with their eyes open (and unclouded by fear), and find some peace for themselves.

It's great to see someone come in here with exactly that intention. May you find whatever truths you need here.

Good luck, and again, welcome back.
icon14.gif

Last edited: