• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question to Fellow Poets...

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Ever make poems without you putting much effort or thought into it- the poem kinda comes to you almost like it was already there you just needed to write it down? This is how I write most of my poems-without much effort. And have you ever written a poem where you have no clue where it came from why you thought of it or even what your thought process was making it ? This has happened to me before and sometimes I read such poems and there is obvious symbolism but I don't know what the symbolism means or anything but for some reason I felt the need to write it.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, this is how I write most of my poetry. I go where the idea takes me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think it might have been Tolstoy who said, "Writing poetry is the easiest thing on earth -- until the day it isn't."

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
What about this:
Does that ever happen to you?
Not really; symbolism isn't held to any specific meaning and people will put whatever spin on it means most to them. I think it's OK to do this, because it allows you to enjoy the poem a lot more by making it more meaningful to you in a way that you understand.

VoidCat

Not really; symbolism isn't held to any specific meaning and people will put whatever spin on it means most to them. I think it's OK to do this, because it allows you to enjoy the poem a lot more by making it more meaningful to you in a way that you understand.
This is true.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ever make poems without you putting much effort or thought into it- the poem kinda comes to you almost like it was already there you just needed to write it down? This is how I write most of my poems-without much effort. And have you ever written a poem where you have no clue where it came from why you thought of it or even what your thought process was making it ? This has happened to me before and sometimes I read such poems and there is obvious symbolism but I don't know what the symbolism means or anything but for some reason I felt the need to write it.

Most definitely. All the poetry I kept were poems I didn't think about. Afterwards, I'd shape for grammar issues so it is readable. I come back to my poems and forget they are mine. I have a personal website journal blog with my poetry. I was debating on posting it. I'm open but then I'm not at the same time if that makes any sense.

VoidCat

Most definitely. All the poetry I kept were poems I didn't think about. Afterwards, I'd shape for grammar issues so it is readable. I come back to my poems and forget they are mine. I have a personal website journal blog with my poetry. I was debating on posting it. I'm open but then I'm not at the same time if that makes any sense.
It makes sense

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Ever make poems without you putting much effort or thought into it- the poem kinda comes to you almost like it was already there you just needed to write it down? This is how I write most of my poems-without much effort.

I do this all the time and I am quite a fan of the minimalist Basho style, here is a sample:

Poo Poo Farts

I hear poo poo farts

It's like a wind tunnel

Frogs

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"Writing poetry is the easiest thing on earth -- until the day it isn't."

I had a multi-year attack of poetry where everything just came from somewhere. My feeling was that all I had to do was write down what was already written.

Then that sense went away and along with it my urge to write poems outside of the occasional limerick on RF.

VoidCat

I had a multi-year attack of poetry where everything just came from somewhere. My feeling was that all I had to do was write down what was already written.

Then that sense went away and along with it my urge to write poems outside of the occasional limerick on RF.
Pity that's sad you lost inspiration to write.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

I had a brief period about 15 years ago where I was composing none stop and some of what seemed the best work I ever did. It was inspired and passionate. It just flowed out of me so effortlessly. The work was on a computer and the files were all subsequently lost. I think I have spent the last 15 years trying futilely to recapture that brief moment. I am sorry for the loss, but I would not give up the drive that incident has vouchsafed with despite feeling the intervening time has been less meaningfully productive. It gives me hope that I will be struck by lightning again. I still write when the moment strikes me. I just keep better records.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

You do something enough, you can just let your subconscious take over. The subconscious part of your brain is bigger, faster, smarter. Just not as analytical as the conscious self.

The Anointed

You do something enough, you can just let your subconscious take over. The subconscious part of your brain is bigger, faster, smarter. Just not as analytical as the conscious self.

I agree.

I ain’t never got a penny, always broke I must confess
And the few things that I’m forced to own If I lose em then I guess
I’ve lived without em once before, can live without em once agen
The only things I really needs is me solitude, me pad and pen.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not some mug what thinks that he can write
But anytime I calls me own, doesn’t matter, day or night
You’ll find me at me table, sittin here with pen in hand
Scribbling out some flaming rubbish and tryin to understand
How a man can sit here writtin words, and even without tryin
Jot down me thoughts then read em, and find all the lines is rhyming.

For instance, Just an hour ago, I’s sittin here and pondering
When from the north, then from the south, there comes this distant rumbling
And then me mind goes sorta blank and something moves me arm
And I thinks...…. now should I try and stop it? “Nah it never does no harm.
And words appear as I sit and write, not taking no great notice
Then I reads what’s written here below when me mind comes back in focus.

“To the north of us and to the south, the thunders peeled and the lightening flashed
While up above the sky was clear, not a single cloud hung in the air
The night was still, not a breath of breeze and starlight flickered through the trees
While all around, the wild storm surged, and what did you do? You got the urge
To sit and write this useless poem, when you should prepare for the coming storm.
So when you see the damage done by your apathy and stupor
You might just learn a thing or two that will help you in the future.”

Well, it gets me mind a thinkin hey? I’m not one who turns his back
On a lesson from me teacher, Nah, me past has taught me that
And I thinks… well yea, there’s many folk, what live in many lands
Where conflicts rage around em, and it’s getting out of hand.
And they builds emselves an island, You know? A little dome of peace
Where they think the storm won’t hit em, like fools, they think they’re safe

But the storm clouds gather closer, then the lightening and the fire
Invade their dome of safety and they’ve got nowhere else to hide
So I makes meself a mental note and thanks the spirit deep within
For his insight and his knowledge and for sharein his wisdom
And I now make preparation for the great storm soon to come
Oh, I know we can’t avoid it, but we’ll come through it, me and mum

You can keep your gold and silver, and all the diamonds in this land
Cos there comes a time in every life, and I don’t give a damn
How much gold or wealth you got, or what position that you’ve gained
They’ll be useless in that time of Stress, better if you’d filled your brain
With the wisdom of the ages, the most precious thing of all
Cos He’s the one what saves you mate, while all around ya, thousands fall...…...The Anointed