• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for Theists

rrosskopf

LDS High Priest
do those who would identify as Theists beleive in one supreme god or multiple gods ?

to you Is god omnipotent ?
is god omnipresent ?
is god omnicient ?

is god eternal ?
Blissfull ?
and full of Knowledge ?
is God a personification of love ?

In the Judeo Christian religion, there is an Almighty God, who is God over all the gods, and Jehovah - who is the God of Israel. Each nation was watched by their own archons or Gods. These gods were the premortal spirits of men, assigned to their tasks by Almighty God through his spokesman, Jehovah. Jehovah was assigned from the beginning to be born as the physical son of Almighty God.

Jehovah was born as Jesus, and Jesus knew who he was. When he told the Jews that he was the Son of God, they wanted to stone him. He argued that in the scripture (Psalms 82:6), Almighty God called the other archons gods, and therefore it wasn't blasphemy for him (Jesus) to call himself the Son of God. They didn't go for it and still tried to stone him.

The gospel of the Son of God was taught many hundreds of years before Jesus was born, but at the time of his birth, this doctrine had fallen out of fashion. Jesus, however, grew up in Egypt, where apparently the doctrine was still taught.

Almighty God was a living God who ruled from an actual throne in the heavens. He wasn't everywhere-present and he wasn't a spirit. The idea that God was an omnipresent spirit is a late heresy that came from Greek philosophy. Philosophers have imagined a God without limits, virtually defining God out of existence, for everything that is real has properties or limits.

Although the word "Eternal" is often used to mean for ever, the original Hebrew meaning was often "from time unknown". God was God from "time unknown". No knowledge of the origins of God can be found in the Holy Writ.

When God sends a representative, that person then speaks for God. The angel who appeared to John the Apostle in the book Revelations, starts out by calling himself "Alpha and Omega", but later acknowledges that he is just an angel, and not actually God himself. This is called the divine investiture of authority, and apparently has been going on for untold millennia.

So it may well be that all those who are called gods are actually only acting as Gods, representing those or he who has come before.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think you need some Jehovah's Witnesses to set you straight about Jehovah, you're making a lot of assumptions that are not even supported by scripture. Jesus is not Jehovah, there is nowhere in the Bible where that is even implied.

Kirran

Premium Member
I think you need some Jehovah's Witnesses to set you straight about Jehovah, you're making a lot of assumptions that are not even supported by scripture. Jesus is not Jehovah, there is nowhere in the Bible where that is even implied.

All these Christians doing Christianity wrong, we'll set them straight!

... :p

Lyndon

Premium Member
Well I for one don't believe in a God of Israel, I believe in a God of the world, all peoples. At least the Jehovah's witnesses don't teach to worship Jesus, they teach to worship God, I'm down with that.

Lyndon

Premium Member
If by worship Jesus you mean follow his teachings and directions, I see no problem with that, if by worship you mean praying to Jesus to answer your prayers, I can't see how that could be anywhere near as effective as praying straight to God, God is an all powerful force throughout the universe, Jesus is still a man, albeit a holy one at that. No man can come close to the power of the God of All. I left Christianity because I was taught to pray to Jesus and my prayers were never answered, now I pray only straight to God, and my prayers are answered every day, big difference.

Kirran

Premium Member
If by worship Jesus you mean follow his teachings and directions, I see no problem with that, if by worship you mean praying to Jesus to answer your prayers, I can't see how that could be anywhere near as effective as praying straight to God, God is an all powerful force throughout the universe, Jesus is still a man, albeit a holy one at that. No man can come close to the power of the God of All. I left Christianity because I was taught to pray to Jesus and my prayers were never answered, now I pray only straight to God, and my prayers are answered every day, big difference.

Guess it depends if you believe Jesus is God. Many do.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Nowhere in the Bible does it say to pray to Jesus. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Jesus is God.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Its just bad religion to not pray to God, and pray to a mortal man instead, who would you think is more likely to be able to answer your prayers.

For a Hindu it might be analogous to praying to Krishna or Brahma instead of Brahman. Does that make any sense.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
Nowhere in the Bible does it say to pray to Jesus. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Jesus is God.

Not to derail this thread, but, prayer to Jesus?

Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” (Acts 7:58-60)

Kirran

Premium Member
Oh, man, sorry ratikala, this has gone off on a tangent. Here I am trying to promote acceptance of different views of God.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
How does anger and suffering relate to God? ......whos anger , whos suffering ?

to me anger is due to our ignorance , and suffering due to our embodied nature , ....as embodied beings we crave things which we dont fully understand , we crave perminance and security , we crave beauty and love , we crave perfection , ....yet we look for them in the wrong places , ..this causes us great suffering , when we dont get what we want sometimes we feel anger , frustration and dissapointment , ...because of this anger and frustration we cause suffering for others , this perpetuates a cycle of suffering from which all embodied souls suffer to varying degrees .

All three interesting answers, all basically the same as my thoughts :)

This one especially really resonates with me.

no worries , ....and Prasada , ...Mmmm ....am very fortunate :)

jai jai , ......please on the last circle of incense remember to send me your Deities blessings ....:)

we will send ours , ....

Did :)

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its just bad religion to not pray to God, and pray to a mortal man instead, who would you think is more likely to be able to answer your prayers.

For a Hindu it might be analogous to praying to Krishna or Brahma instead of Brahman. Does that make any sense.
To pray to Brahman doesn't make any sense. To pray to Krishna does. So in this sense, to pray to the Christ is to pray to the form of God, the manifestation of God, like Shiva and Vishnu or Vishnu's avatars Rama and Krishna. So, Jesus is quite like Krishna this way.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Well it seems I don't understand Hinduism well enough, my bad.

Kirran

Premium Member
I'm going to try and bring this back on track, partly as penance.

What do people think is gained from worship of God?

Does suffering exist as a part of God? If suffering is a part of God, is it inherently good?

Is God inherently good, bad or neutral?

Lyndon

Premium Member
I'm going to try and bring this back on track, partly as penance.

What do people think is gained from worship of God?

Does suffering exist as a part of God? If suffering is a part of God, is it inherently good?

Is God inherently good, bad or neutral?

For me worship of God through daily prayer, puts a powerful force of goodness and love on my side as a "friend" so to speak, it puts me more in tune with my life, I try harder to be an upstanding moral person, not to take advantage of people, to be generous and helpful when I can.

As to if God suffers, I imagine God feels suffering for her children, but I couldn't begin to imagine how or what God thinks or feels.

God to me is pure goodness, wisdom and truth, completely trustworthy, willing to help and guide me through life.

I believe the god that gets angry, punishes people, backs warring tribes etc, is not the true God I worship, so no my God does not have a bad side, at least 99.9% good I would guess.