• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for science? Is Liberalism a religion?

wellwisher

One set of foundation premises of Liberalism is connected to revisionist history. This is where the past is judged by the standard of the present, and where those living in the present, are somehow responsible for the past, based solely on sex or skin color.

The question for science is, does any physics we know of support this transcendence of time or is this a metaphysical claim like is common in religion? If so should separation of church and state apply?

In terms of reverse engineering this claim, to make it work, it would work is we had an eternal soul, where the essence of who we are could transcend time and space. We could be reborn in different bodies, with the same soul and same conscious awareness, again and again. This would support the liberal claim. Does any science support this?

If you look at revisionist history, it assumes the eternal soul of today was living in the past, and since it transcends time, it also had access to the future. Even though it had the capacity to see the future, it nevertheless made a decision to do evil in the past, in spite of the modern standards it could see. Therefore it is guilty in the present, of the past, since time to the eternal reincarnated soul is relative and not sequential. To the eternal soul, it hops like an internet search, instead of like reading a book in time, from start to finish. Is the human brain capable to stepping out of time while being conscious in different bodies in many different times, simultaneously? This would make the past and present relative.

In more practical terms of examples, white people of the present are said to be responsible for the past days of slavery that was controlled by white people. Since they have the eternal soul, they should have been aware of the future ,and never have done this in the past. They need to feel guilty because of their eternal souls and its ability to time hop, while consciously making poor choices in the past, while knowing the future. How does science and physics weigh in in terms of time hoping based on skin color? Does skin pigment generate quantum affects? And does the eternal soul have to stay with the same skin color or sex for these quantum affects to work over time?

In reincarnation within Eastern Religions, Karma is in affect, so the eternal soul, would reincarnate into a different form, to balance its previous choices of good and evil. In this case, the blacks of today would have been the whites of the past to balance this out with the current hardships. Which of the two reincarnations is supported by science; the liberal eternal soul that never changes or learns, or the Eastern balanced eternal soul that improves with time?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One set of foundation premises of Liberalism is connected to revisionist history. This is where the past is judged by the standard of the present, and where those living in the present, are somehow responsible for the past, based solely on sex or skin color.

The question for science is, does any physics we know of support this transcendence of time or is this a metaphysical claim like is common in religion? If so should separation of church and state apply?

In terms of reverse engineering this claim, to make it work, it would work is we had an eternal soul, where the essence of who we are could transcend time and space. We could be reborn in different bodies, with the same soul and same conscious awareness, again and again. This would support the liberal claim. Does any science support this?

If you look at revisionist history, it assumes the eternal soul of today was living in the past, and since it transcends time, it also had access to the future. Even though it had the capacity to see the future, it nevertheless made a decision to do evil in the past, in spite of the modern standards it could see. Therefore it is guilty in the present, of the past, since time to the eternal reincarnated soul is relative and not sequential. To the eternal soul, it hops like an internet search, instead of like reading a book in time, from start to finish. Is the human brain capable to stepping out of time while being conscious in different bodies in many different times, simultaneously? This would make the past and present relative.

In more practical terms of examples, white people of the present are said to be responsible for the past days of slavery that was controlled by white people. Since they have the eternal soul, they should have been aware of the future ,and never have done this in the past. They need to feel guilty because of their eternal souls and its ability to time hop, while consciously making poor choices in the past, while knowing the future. How does science and physics weigh in in terms of time hoping based on skin color? Does skin pigment generate quantum affects? And does the eternal soul have to stay with the same skin color or sex for these quantum affects to work over time?

In reincarnation within Eastern Religions, Karma is in affect, so the eternal soul, would reincarnate into a different form, to balance its previous choices of good and evil. In this case, the blacks of today would have been the whites of the past to balance this out with the current hardships. Which of the two reincarnations is supported by science; the liberal eternal soul that never changes or learns, or the Eastern balanced eternal soul that improves with time?
What a ridiculous description.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
No. Liberalism is not a religion.

And no. This is not question for science.

Also, historical revisionism isn't the same as judging the past by modern standards.

Also, liberalism has nothing to do with regarding people as responsible for the actions of people at other points in history.

The rest of your OP is therefore irrelevant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Liberalism is not a religion.
You would think that that would be fairly obvious, but I guess some people prefer being ignorant.
Huh.
I agree.
But one might think so, given that political & economic philosophies
are often faith based. And just look at the liberals on RF arguing
about who is sufficiently Christian & who isn't. Upon seeing such
horrors, I feel relief at being a heathen.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Everyone, you need to realise that Wellwisher, though a thoroughly polite person, has had bees in his bonnet for years about four things:
- Water, unique properties thereof, which he endows with a sort of mysticism,
- Hydrogen bonds, somewhat related to the above,
- Entropy, and
- Liberals.
(spot the odd one out)

I and others have had some fun on science forums, over the years, trying to get him to work all four into a thread. :D

He has a funny idea of what liberalism is, but then it is a word with a meaning in current US politics quite different from what it means in Europe, or meant historically, so perhaps I should not find that remarkable.

The claim that revisionist history is a "foundational premise [sic] " (I think he must mean principle) of any sort of liberalism is absurd, naturally. But revisionist history is a disease of political ideologies generally, as Orwell highlighted so well.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

... a whole bunch of terms there you obviously don't know the meaning of, not least "liberalism" and "science".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everyone, you need to realise that Wellwisher, though a thoroughly polite person, has had bees in his bonnet for years about four things:
- Entropy, and
- Liberals.
(spot the odd one out)

I and others have had some fun on science forums, over the years, trying to get him to work all four into a thread. :D

He has a funny idea of what liberalism is, but then it is a word with a meaning in current US politics quite different from what it means in Europe, or meant historically, so perhaps I should not find that remarkable.

The claim that revisionist history is a "foundational premise [sic] " (I think he must mean principle) of any sort of liberalism is absurd, naturally. But revisionist history is a disease of political ideologies generally, as Orwell highlighted so well.
I recommend against discussing other posters in 3rd person.
While I don't doubt your info, tis better that we each come to
know him on our own.
And then there's the risk of a rule #1 violation.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
- Entropy, and
- Liberals.
(spot the odd one out)

Did you have to bring up Orwell?
Now all we need is for someone to call someone else Hitler, and this thread will be the epitome of all threads on the internet.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Did you have to bring up Orwell?
Now all we need is for someone to call someone else Hitler, and this thread will be the epitome of all threads on the internet.
Revisionist history is the subject of the thread and was the actual job of Winston Smith in 1984.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I recommend against discussing other posters in 3rd person.
While I don't doubt your info, tis better that we each come to
know him on our own.
And then there's the risk of a rule #1 violation.
Well let's see if I get moderated then. I don't wish him ill - in fact I wish him well ;) - but I think his track record is relevant, before people get too excited by this thread.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well let's see if I get moderated then. I don't wish him ill - in fact I wish him well ;) - but I think his track record is relevant, before people get too excited by this thread.
I can never predict when mods will rap knuckles.
But rule #1 comports with good practice.
Although at times, I'll have a private conversation with
a poster who is troubled by the actions of another.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Well, modern physics is getting rid of time. For instance, quantum gravity is timeless.

So, if we consider that ontology of time we get from gravity, the whole universe might be a four dimensional surface that never changes, and on which all events are mapped eternally.

And by the way, even if that sounds speculative and we come back to the time of our intuition, we have been knowing since a long time that the arrow of time is a macroscopical effect. It comes from thermodynamics.

Therefore, progress of metaphysical souls or stuff like that presuppones that the spiritual realm is in a situation of not maximal entropy. Otherwise the very word progress would be meaningless.

So, is that so? Do spirits live in a system not in thermidynamical equilibrium?

Ciao

- viole

tas8831

I don't think that is exactly what 'revisionist history' means. To me, it means, for example, claiming that the Confederacy had nothing to do with slavery, or that the Holocaust never happened.
Looks like you get your info on 'Liberalism' from Ben Shapiro or someone like that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Religion and politics share some similarities hence the saying that religion and politics go hand-in-hand.

Theocracies should be a prime example of that where people can still see the distinction between the political aspect and the religious aspect as it pertains to policy.