• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for muslims but others may answer

exchemist

Veteran Member
Some will do it out of respect, some will do it because it is a part of the spiritual practice one practice there are many reasons, the sunnah in islam is a very good depiction of how the prophet Muhammed lived and how he practice the teaching.
Why would how someone dresses be relevant to their spiritual ideas? I can't imagine most people would want to live like a c.7th Arab.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why would how someone dresses be relevant to their spiritual ideas? I can't imagine most people would want to live like a c.7th Arab.
It's a personal choice:) you make your choice to live the way you do, nothing wrong with that.

Some chose to dress according to the tradition in once spiritual practice

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's a personal choice:) you make your choice to live the way you do, nothing wrong with that.

Some chose to dress according to the tradition in once spiritual practice
But the question you asked was why do people NOT dress like the Prophet (Peace be upon him). I'm suggesting some of the reasons.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But the question you asked was why do people NOT dress like the Prophet (Peace be upon him). I'm suggesting some of the reasons.
Yes, some of what you said, is probably true reason for many muslims too, but if we look at the sunnah teaching it clearly say muslims would benefit from dressing as the prophet ( use of turban)

That was the reason for my OP :)

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
In my study i have come to understand that back in the time of prophet Muhammed (pbuh) both the prophet and his followers was wearing turban, my questions is.

Why do so few muslims wear it today?

I always thought it was to protect them from the desert sun back then as they were nomads. Today, many are now mostly city dwellers.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The turban will protect toward the sun yes :) but the turban seems to have been a spiritual accessoire too :)

Yes I’ve read where descendants of Muhammad wear a green turban to show their ancestry but it must have originated further back than that. Places like India may have other spiritual reasons.

But isn’t it mainly eastern cultural which uses it, as I don’t know the west has ever worn it?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes I’ve read where descendants of Muhammad wear a green turban to show their ancestry but it must have originated further back than that. Places like India may have other spiritual reasons.

But isn’t it mainly eastern cultural which uses it, as I don’t know the west has ever worn it?
In my research i too found it to orginally come from the East yes, and you are correct Green turban is a sign that the liniages traces back to Muhammed in a unbroken liniage.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I always thought it was to protect them from the desert sun back then as they were nomads. Today, many are now mostly city dwellers.
Could be, though the Bedouin wear the keffiyeh usually not in the form of a turban but unwound to protect the face and neck. However the Arabs can tie it up in a turban sometimes and in Oman it is commonly worn in that manner.