• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for muslims but others may answer

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my study i have come to understand that back in the time of prophet Muhammed (pbuh) both the prophet and his followers was wearing turban, my questions is.

Why do so few muslims wear it today?

Tumah

Veteran Member
In my study i have come to understand that back in the time of prophet Muhammed (pbuh) both the prophet and his followers was wearing turban, my questions is.

And underwear. Why do Muslims wear that today? There's no way Muhammad had Fruit of the Loom back then!

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I imagine because the kufi is easier to put on and take off.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you @Rival :)

My question arise because in the sunnah it is very clear that the prophet used it and adviced his followers to use it too.
Sunnah in sufism is very important
Does this hadith say a turban specifically? If so, I'd be interested to know why this was largely ditched, as well, if it's sunnah.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I've worked with Sikhs (engineers). Turbans seem
very inconvenient, particularly in hot weather.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Does this hadith say a turban specifically? If so, I'd be interested to know why this was largely ditched, as well, if it's sunnah.
The tying of the turban is a Sunnah Mustamirrah (a practice perpetually adhered to by the Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam). The Prophet sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam has enjoined the tying of the turban upon us. It has been reported, ‘Tie the turban. It will increase you in forbearance.'” (Fath al-Bari)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Picture of a sufi wearing turban

Attachments

• EMYT0Y.jpg
    EMYT0Y.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 0

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've worked with Sikhs (engineers). Turbans seem
very inconvenient, particularly in hot weather.

If I am not mistaken, Sikh men have their hair(which they aren't suppose to cut)wrapped up in the turban.

My husband is a very long haired man, with the length going down past his butt. I think it would be less inconvenient to wrap it in a turban than to leave it all down. (He ties his up or keeps it in his coat.)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If I am not mistaken, Sikh men have their hair(which they aren't suppose to cut)wrapped up in the turban.

My husband is a very long haired man, with the length going down past his butt. I think it would be less inconvenient to wrap it in a turban than to leave it all down. (He ties his up or keeps it in his coat.)
Personally i have not yet started wearing a turban, a bit difficult to find in Norway actually :) but i might do it in the future.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Why on earth would people copy the style of dress in Arabia from 1400 years ago, if they live today, in London or Kuala Lumpur?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes.
Since Muslims trim their hair, they'd
have no need for a turban.
Covid has many of us looking pretty
shaggy these days.

I bet if you have long hair, they're way more convenient. (Less washing, I presume) It begs a question about a bald Sikh though.
See above.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Why on earth would people copy the style of dress in Arabia from 1400 years ago, if they live today, in London or Kuala Lumpur?

I say wear what you want. If you genuinely like the style, why not? Provided you're secure enough to handle questions/comments.

If you don't like it, don't do it, of course.

I could never figure out why people wear blue jeans... god awful things they are. Uncomfortable and unattractive, in my opinion. But, to each their own.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Some will do it out of respect, some will do it because it is a part of the spiritual practice one practice there are many reasons, the sunnah in islam is a very good depiction of how the prophet Muhammed lived and how he practice the teaching.