• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for Jews about Ezekiel 37

Batya

Always Forward
Maybe there are various ideas about this, but in a general sense, what do Jews make of Israel again becoming a nation and the partial return of the Jews to the land, in light of Ezekiel 37? I know a lot of Christian theologians say that Eze 37 was fulfilled in 1948, but it seems evident to me from this chapter and throughout the prophets that the true fulfillment will be when the Messiah comes and gathers his people to the land (11 Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel...) and establishes the nation in righteousness (following torah). I definitely believe YHWH's hand was in it, it was nothing short of miraculous, but I was just curious to know your take on it. Maybe I'm overthinking this. :)

Batya

Always Forward
The traditional interpretation is that this is a prophecy about the Resurrection of the Dead around the Messianic Age.
So then there it's no reason to think it applies to 1948, which is kind of what I was thinking. I've just heard a lot of pastors say that is what it's talking about, so I wanted to know if that was a thing in Judaism (figured not, but had to ask :)). Thanks for the reply.

Tumah

Veteran Member
So then there it's no reason to think it applies to 1948, which is kind of what I was thinking. I've just heard a lot of pastors say that is what it's talking about, so I wanted to know if that was a thing in Judaism (figured not, but had to ask :)). Thanks for the reply.
There are other prophecies throughout the Tanach that speak about the return of the exiled, but to the best of my knowledge that isn't one of them.
Interestingly, I once noticed that there are exactly 2,300 years between the Jewish dating for the resumption of the construction of the 2nd Temple and the year 1948.

Batya

Always Forward
There are other prophecies throughout the Tanach that speak about the return of the exiled, but to the best of my knowledge that isn't one of them.
Interestingly, I once noticed that there are exactly 2,300 years between the Jewish dating for the resumption of the construction of the 2nd Temple and the year 1948.
Yes, and that is one of my great interests.
I did not know that about that space of time, quite interesting!