• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question For Forum Members

I suggest you check Obama's unemployment number before you say how great they were.
Great idea. Below is a chart of unemployment. I circled the time Obama took office in the midst of the Great Recession, which began under Bush, and when Obama left office, at which time unemployment was about 4.6% and falling. That's over 95% employment - it's even better now, but that was darn good.

upload_2020-1-20_22-14-31.png

Source: Notice: Data not available: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Meanwhile in 2016, as the unemployment rate continued to decline, Trump was lying to his supporters, claiming the unemployment rate was a "hoax" and that real unemployment was as high as +40%. (No, really, he said that.) He doesn't worry so much about the accuracy of the figures these days, though.

Sources:
Donald Trump repeats Pants on Fire claim that unemployment rate could be 42 percent
Donald Trump Calls Unemployment Rate One of the "Biggest Hoaxes in Politics"

By the way - I don't give Obama, or any president, that much credit for how the economy is doing. I just think Trump Lies Matter (hey that would be a good T-shirt actually ...)

Last edited:
Do you really think that a state that has been trying covertly to acquire a nuclear weapon will now not openly pursue it when the sunset closes expire ?

There is no mechanism in the agreement to renegotiate the clauses after they expire.
shmogie, yes there is. The threat of sanctions. That's why Iran agreed to the deal in the first place. To remove the sanctions. Sanctions which would be reimposed if the deal expired in 10 years without a new one to replace it (or an extension of the existing one).

You can argue that this motive wouldn't have worked to extend the deal in 10 years (for reasons you will need to explain). But you simply cannot argue no motive existed. Otherwise Iran wouldn't have agreed to a deal at all - not in 10 years, and not today, either.

shmogie

shmogie, yes there is. The threat of sanctions. That's why Iran agreed to the deal in the first place. To remove the sanctions. Sanctions which would be reimposed if the deal expired in 10 years without a new one to replace it (or an extension of the existing one).

You can argue that this motive wouldn't have worked to extend the deal in 10 years (for reasons you will need to explain). But you simply cannot argue no motive existed. Otherwise Iran wouldn't have agreed to a deal at all - not in 10 years, and not today, either.
Iran, like N. Korea, are playing for time. They are convinced that nukes will allow them to completely dominate the region and offset the sanctions. What will anyone do if they close the straights of Hormuz and jacked around with commercial shipping ? Are we going to attack them then ?

You seem to believe that the Iranians think like rational western people, They do not. The theocratic government is steeped in it's theology, and that theology does not bode well for the world if they get nuclear weapons.

I suggest you take a little time to look into their particular shia beliefs regarding what prompts the return of their mahdi,

They have threatened the destruction of Israel by FIRE hundreds of times, what do you think they mean? It ain't symbolism.

Iran, like N. Korea, are playing for time. They are convinced that nukes will allow them to completely dominate the region and offset the sanctions. What will anyone do if they close the straights of Hormuz and jacked around with commercial shipping ? Are we going to attack them then ?

You seem to believe that the Iranians think like rational western people, They do not. The theocratic government is steeped in it's theology, and that theology does not bode well for the world if they get nuclear weapons.

I suggest you take a little time to look into their particular shia beliefs regarding what prompts the return of their mahdi,

They have threatened the destruction of Israel by FIRE hundreds of times, what do you think they mean? It ain't symbolism.
I will await your response to my other two posts (#120 and #121) before I reply to this, so as not to get too far ahead of ourselves. If you agree.