• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for everyone.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Considering all these translations, I think we can understand the context.
The spirit of man / the breath of man - what man gives out, allows Jehovah to search out his innermost being.
In other words, your attitude - your spirit... how you say what you say, and do what you do, is like a lamp Jehovah uses to search out the innermost person - the inner man.
OK. That makes sense. :thumbsup: Thanks for answering the question.
See...
*** it-2 p. 196 Lamp ***
According to Proverbs 20:27, “the breath of earthling man is the lamp of Jehovah, carefully searching all the innermost parts of the belly.” By what a person “breathes out,” or gives vent to, whether good or bad expressions, he reveals, or sheds light on, his personality or inmost self.—Compare Ac 9:1.

*** w63 8/15 p. 502 Understanding What the Spirit Is ***
The Hebrew word for spirit is ruʹahh and the Greek word is pneuʹma. Some Bible translations render the Hebrew word neshamahʹ as spirit at Job 26:4 and Proverbs 20:27, but more careful translations use the word “breath” here rather than spirit. This word neshamahʹ is the one that is used at Genesis 2:7 for the vital breath that was put into Adam at the time of his creation. Its use here indicates that what God blew into the nostrils of Adam was literal breath. However, the active life force that God gave him, causing him to have a conscious existence, was his ruʹahh or spirit. This active life force is not specifically mentioned at Genesis 2:7, but it is referred to elsewhere.—Gen. 6:17; 7:22; Eccl. 12:7.
Very informative. Thank you.
Looks like two different lamps for two different purposes... applied in two different ways.
OK :)
See here. Then see here.
Same Hebrew word. Different word usage. Both correct meaning. One is person. The other is life.
nephesh: a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion
On another occasion, the context may render the usage as desire, or emotion, or living being, etc.
OK. 'Person' in verse 20 and 'life' is verse 27 is consistent.
Well, if you trust their ideas, would anyone pointing out anything the Bible has to offer that's different, change that?
Change my trust? Probably not. Not because of a topic like this. But, I think it's important to know precisely what's written in scripture.
See what I mean? :)
It's not only the Rabbis. You probably trust yourself also. Right?
I dont know, I guess I do sometimes.
You did not answer the question though, did you.?
Speaking of the dead. Not the living. Can this soul/spirit think, and act... when you die?
How do you fit that with Ecclesiastes 9:5 and Ecclesiastes 9:10?
So after that confidence booster, you're asking me to speculate? :rolleyes::D
A dead soul. Probably not. Sorry that I didn't answer that previously.
That sounds good.
...but how can that be, if you trust the Rabbis speculation, and your interpretation? :confused:
There's plenty of room at my table. I get a seat, the Rabbis get a seat, you're a guest speaker.
Let me test that out. Try this, then let's hear your thoughts.
Yes. I don't disagree with this. It's a write-up on nefesh, though.

nPeace

Veteran Member
OK. That makes sense. :thumbsup: Thanks for answering the question.

Very informative. Thank you.

OK :)

OK. 'Person' in verse 20 and 'life' is verse 27 is consistent..
t2009.gif

Change my trust? Probably not. Not because of a topic like this. But, I think it's important to know precisely what's written in scripture..
Yes, and once you are certain, trust what the scriptures say, and stick with those in agreement with it, right.

I dont know, I guess I do sometimes.

So after that confidence booster, you're asking me to speculate? :rolleyes::D.
I'm asking you to go with what the scriptures say.

A dead soul. Probably not. Sorry that I didn't answer that previously..
Probably? Probably!!!?

(Ecclesiastes 9:4-10) 4 There is hope for whoever is among the living, because a live dog is better off than a dead lion. 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun. ... 10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.

(Psalm 88:10) Will you perform wonders for the dead? Can those powerless in death rise up to praise you? (Selah)

(Psalm 115:17) The dead do not praise Jah; Nor do any who go down into the silence of death.

(Psalm 146:4) His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.

(Isaiah 38:18) For the Grave cannot glorify you, Death cannot praise you. Those who go down into the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness.

Are you sure you are on a hunt? What are you looking for?

There's plenty of room at my table. I get a seat, the Rabbis get a seat, you're a guest speaker..
:sunglasses:
Yes. I don't disagree with this. It's a write-up on nefesh, though.
I find it to be more than that.
It makes two important points.

Is the soul immortal?
No, the soul can die. Dozens of Bible verses refer to the soul as being mortal.
God does not condone merging his teachings with human philosophies, such as belief in an immortal soul. Instead, the Bible warns: “Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition.” - Colossians 2:8.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Is it known whether or not all dead souls go to the grave, pit, sheol, etc? That's why I said probably.
If you are saying that you don't trust the Bible as the source of truth regarding these things, I can understand that.
Is that what you are saying?

In such a case, where will you find the truth about these things? Rabbis; yourself; others?

If any, why would you trust these men to know, especially when... in the case of the Rabbis, they claim their source is the Torah. Yet it contradicts their views?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Is it known whether or not all dead souls go to the grave, pit, sheol, etc? That's why I said probably.

I believe it is possible to predict what happens to most spirits in the afterlife; at least, that has been my experience and the experience of others like me. However, I realize and accept that not everyone believes as I do or believes that it's possible to do what I can do.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I hear people who use astral projection claim to know what the afterlife is all about.:)
Not that I believe in the legitimacy of astral projection, but assuming for the sake of argument it is what they claim, how would traveling around in spirit say ANYTHING about an afterlife?