• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for atheists who don't believe in God

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
neither the atheist nor the agnostic believes in god. the difference is that the atheist BELIEVES that it is fact that god does not exist. the agnostic does not even consider god because the human mind is incapable of knowing of gods, the afterlife or other supernatural phenomena. to an agnostic like myself, neither the atheist or the faith can ever prove their claim. but we all have a hard time agreeing just what the definition of an atheist is so for simplicity i'll use mine; atheists believe that god is impossible.
Hmm, I'm an atheist and an agnostic who can believe in 'god'. I guess I'd shut up. ;)

The-G-man

De Facto Atheist
neither the atheist nor the agnostic believes in god. the difference is that the atheist BELIEVES that it is fact that god does not exist. the agnostic does not even consider god because the human mind is incapable of knowing of gods, the afterlife or other supernatural phenomena. to an agnostic like myself, neither the atheist or the faith can ever prove their claim. but we all have a hard time agreeing just what the definition of an atheist is so for simplicity i'll use mine; atheists believe that god is impossible.

Sorry but your wrong, there is no evidence to suggest that ANY God exists so therefore we do not believe.
We do not reject God because we hate it, to reject eternal love and life would be insane if it was obvious that God did exist.

to me the 'god' that i dont believe in is the unfulfilling answer to an otherwise decent question.
if i ask why the sun goes over one side of the mountains to rise and another to set i'm looking for a real answer, one based in evidence and critical thought. when the one i'm asking doesnt have this evidence then it's been traditionally acceptable to say "because of god". that is specifically what i dont believe in. i dont believe there is a blanket answer to the curiosities of humans. so i dont believe in 'god' in the same way i dont believe 'because i said so.'

the existence of supernatural characters who are just transcendent enough never to be proven but still personal enough to be used as a trump card is clearly a not-so-clever fabrication - so that wouldn't take very much thought or energy to extinguish and ignore. but the reasons humans keep allowing these characters to prevail is because many fear their curiosity rather than embrace it. and it's that fear of curiosity that makes 'gods' uninviting to me.

i guess you could call me curious before you could call me an atheist.

Joe Bloe

A question for theists who do not believe in the Tooth Fairy...

Exactly what is it you are not believing in? What is the "Tooth Fairy"?

blackout

Violet.
I do not believe in any supernatural forces of any sort. I believe in nothing but the physical.

What are ideas? Are they physical? Do they exist?

Every'thing that you cannot yet "explain" is supernatural.
"super" higher... than your understanding of "nature"/
than the "nature" of your understanding... can yet reach.

Not sure why people are so hellbent on "explaining" and "believing" things anyway.
I guess I'm more taken in by my personal "experience" of things,
on a thing by thing, day by day basis. everchanging.

It may be our personalities.

Are our personalities "real"?
Are our desires real?

If my transcendental SELF is not "real",
then I am little more than a walking chemical concoction.
In which case none of this all really matters anyway.
There is no 'me'.
Just a bunch of self experiencing chemical reactions,
and systems.
They will soon break down anyway.

How can you "believe" anything at all,
if there is nothing but the physical?
is "belief" a physical thing?

Venatoris

neither the atheist nor the agnostic believes in god.the difference is that the atheist BELIEVES that it is fact that god does not exist. the agnostic does not even consider god because the human mind is incapable of knowing of gods, the afterlife or other supernatural phenomena. to an agnostic like myself, neither the atheist or the faith can ever prove their claim. but we all have a hard time agreeing just what the definition of an atheist is so for simplicity i'll use mine; atheists believe that god is impossible.

This is not entirely true. You can be agnostic and still believe in god. Agnosticism only speaks toward knowledge(god is infinitely unknowable and unprovable). After you have established that you cannot know whether god exists you are still faced with a choice. As I see it you have four choices(there are probably more):
1:Agnostic Theist-God is unknowable but I choose to believe he exists.
2:Agnostic Atheist- God is unknowable but I choose not to believe he exists.
3:Agnostic undecided- God is unknowable and I choose to be open to both possibilities.
4:Agnostic (don't have a supplement for this category)-God is unknowable but why does it matter? belief or disbelief does not change reality and does not change who I am. I choose not to choose from the available options because neither is satisfactory.

I fall into category four. The third and forth categories are considered by many to be the same and get lumped together under the term "fence-sitter". I hate this term because it implies I am indecisive and that there are only the two options from which to choose. I don't sit on the fence, I kick down the fence and exist apart from both views. I hope this makes sense. If anyone disagrees with this or has a fifth category I'm not privy to, please let me know.

Sorry if this was off topic but I wanted to throw it out there.

syberpriend

Few simple and old questions for Athiestss and Agnostics,

1- Which was the 1st Human. Male/Female
2- Give anny example of any creature, which came without the creator or designer
3- Any thing e.g watch, or having a typical mechanical system which came or we knw existed without a creator or designer.
4- Are atheists born athiests like other religions ?
5- If atheists consider it as a religion, is any doctrote, degree can be studied to be an athiest?

Some may sound stupid questions, but it might help understanding better the approaach of athiests.

Last edited:

Venatoris

2- Give anny example of any creature, which came without the creator or designer
3- Any thing e.g watch, or having a typical mechanical system which came or we knw existed without a creator or designer.
5- If atheists consider it as a religion, is any doctrote, degree can be studied to be an athiest?

Some may sound stupid questions, but it might help understanding better the approaach of athiests.

1.Sexual reproduction existed before humans so neither was first. If you meant to ask which gender existed first on this planet I would be inclined to say that hermaphroditic creatures existed first and the split occurred later(just a guess). It would be pointless to have one without the other at any point in time.
2.All creatures or none depending on whether you believe in a creator. That's what we call a loaded question. You don't work for a survey organization do you?
3.It's a little known fact that the Rolex is a natural formation, they are mined directly from the earth. :no: Mechanical systems are created by man. Why do you ask this question?
4.Yes, by default you are of the same affiliation as your parents until you are exposed to opposing views and make up your own mind.
5.Atheists don't consider themselves to be a religion. No, there isn't a degree in atheist studies as far as I know.

Does this help?

syberpriend

1.Sexual reproduction existed before humans so neither was first. If you meant to ask which gender existed first on this planet I would be inclined to say that hermaphroditic creatures existed first and the split occurred later(just a guess). It would be pointless to have one without the other at any point in time. The point is not clear, neither is my question answerd, if its just a guess, ofcourse theories are invalid on guesses, so Athiests are blind in this point. So they have to rely on religious knowledge, that some1 ofcourse created man n woman, or any gender, or life on earth, cannot be by chance.
2.All creatures or none depending on whether you believe in a creator. That's what we call a loaded question. You don't work for a survey organization do you? Im not working for survery dear , if u can answer, answer my question, otherwise it will be illogical or call things created by chance, without any creator
3.It's a little known fact that the Rolex is a natural formation, they are mined directly from the earth. :no: Mechanical systems are created by man. Why do you ask this question? the reason for the question is, if every mechanical thing, have a creator, human body, which is soo much complex, or any living body, can it come without creator?
4.Yes, by default you are of the same affiliation as your parents until you are exposed to opposing views and make up your own mind. but what makes them opposite of views, like they can find answerws in other religion, rather thn just loosing hopes
5.Atheists don't consider themselves to be a religion. No, there isn't a degree in atheist studies as far as I know. so it means they are recognised as still ppl with some religion, if suppose in pasport, or birth of their child, what they gona write?
Does this help?

This means athiests dont know what they believe, and just making wild guesses in everythigs, whereas the answers are available for their questions, then wats the reason for not believing?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
This is not entirely true. You can be agnostic and still believe in god. Agnosticism only speaks toward knowledge(god is infinitely unknowable and unprovable).

I have a question for you or anyone more familiar with (Agnostic) than I am so that I can have a better understanding of your view.....

How do you determine that a god is unknowable?

Maybe I'm going to answer my own question here...but again....I just wanted a better understanding...so here it goes....;

Is it because a god is un-provable...and that is the reason it is unknowable?

Or am I missing something?...And I certainly could be missing something really simple....:)

Alceste

Vagabond

Neither. Evolution doesn't work like that - magic poofing is for religious people. The rest of us evolve very slowly over time.

Every creature evolved very slowly over time - none are "created".

:facepalm: Booooooriiiiiing. Irrational arguments to try to "prove" life is created are not interesting to atheists. Do you want to know what's fascinating for us? Biology. Anthropology. Paleontology. Geology. Physics. Chemistry. Want to talk about that kind of thing? Sign me up.

All children are born without belief in any gods. Their religion is learned from their parents. Atheists who have rejected their parents religion have returned to the default state: without religious belief, and curious about the world.

Atheism means only that we don't believe in anybody's gods. Think of all the gods you don't believe in - Thor, Diana, Jesus, Jupiter, Pan, Brahman, etc. You're an atheist when it comes to those gods. I'm an atheist too when it comes to those gods, plus your god. Atheism is not a religion - it's just a word that we've invented to describe not believing in god/s. Theism is a word we've invented for believing in god/s.

A- = "without"
the- = "gods"
-ism = "belief".

syberpriend

Okay, first off, I'M NOT AN ATHEIST YOU ******* TOOL!!!!!! I'm an agnostic. I explained this right before you posted your questions.Go read my other post.
Second, learn to type, spell, and generally form a coherent sentence.

1.that was my personal guess. I don't speak for atheists as I am not an atheist. I don't speak for anyone but myself and I accept the possibility that I may be wrong. Why is your guess better than mine? It's not! Lack of proof for my guess doesn't make your guess correct. They are both equally valid.
2.If you believe in god you assume that no creature exists without the creator. If you don't believe in god you assume that all creatures exist without a creator. That is the most straightforward answer you will ever get for that question.No proof exists, therefore they are equally valid.
3.You can't compare something mechanical with something biological. I doubt that I can make you understand this, so I won't even try.
4. Why would an atheist need to take answers from religion to have hope? Atheists don't look to old stories for answers, they look at the world around them. If you truly believe that everyone who disbelieves is hopeless then I don't see much point in talking to you. You have already concluded that all roads lead to you being right.
5.What? No. What the hell are you talking about? Atheism is not a religion! Neither my passport nor my birth certificate state my religious affiliation. Where do you get this crap?

Nice try buddy. you wanted to discredit an atheist and you got an agnostic. EPIC FAIL.:slap: think before you post. You will not win an argument with me until you start using actual words and sentences. Here's a little hint- if the word is underlined in red you spelled it incorrectly.

Are u here for spell check? grow big buddy, its internet, here ppl use short words, if uve sense enuf to understand. dumb child:run:
By the way, agnostic is how far different from athiest? a'nt they both cousins?

syberpriend

Neither. Evolution doesn't work like that - magic poofing is for religious people. The rest of us evolve very slowly over time.

I know evolution my friend how it work or imagined, but thats y im asking, is it just assumption or any proof uve?

Every creature evolved very slowly over time - none are "created".
If none is created, who was evolved 1st, man or woman? or which specie?? any clue?

:facepalm: Booooooriiiiiing. Irrational arguments to try to "prove" life is created are not interesting to atheists. Do you want to know what's fascinating for us? Biology. Anthropology. Paleontology. Geology. Physics. Chemistry. Want to talk about that kind of thing? Sign me up.

OK, we an start on 1 topic, u choose, I will do my best to answer, but do tell me when science got the complete answers of the topic and how much its accurate, e.g for geology, is it proven? when its proven . who was 1st to prove etc etc
You say Biology interest u, my question is same, how does human system, if u consider it complex, developed byslow process, is it by chance? if its by chance, how comeall the humans 80-90% have almost same mechanic inside their body?

All children are born without belief in any gods. Their religion is learned from their parents. Atheists who have rejected their parents religion have returned to the default state: without religious belief, and curious about the world.

Is this assumption? how child knows as soon as come out of mother womb, or inside howto suckle? ... I know athiests are not born athiests, ofcourse they deny the existance of Godby span of time.

Atheism means only that we don't believe in anybody's gods. Think of all the gods you don't believe in - Thor, Diana, Jesus, Jupiter, Pan, Brahman, etc. You're an atheist when it comes to those gods. I'm an atheist too when it comes to those gods, plus your god. Atheism is not a religion - it's just a word that we've invented to describe not believing in god/s. Theism is a word we've invented for believing in god/s.

A- = "without"
the- = "gods"
-ism = "belief".

Thanks for the reply anyway friend