• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for atheists who don't believe in God

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is the something that is "like God"? Put another way, what is "God" that something can be "like him"?

Nanda

Polyanna
A question for atheists who don't believe in God

As opposed to the atheists who do. ;)

Exactly what is it you are not believing in? What is "God"?

I don't believe in the anthropomorphic or personal gods of most religions. There could be some sort of abstract, creative force out there (though I don't really believe that, either, but I'm willing to concede that it's possible) but since it wouldn't really matter (on a personal level) whether such a thing/entity existed, to me, it might as well not exist.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
As opposed to the atheists who do. ;)

I don't believe in the anthropomorphic or personal gods of most religions. There could be some sort of abstract, creative force out there (though I don't really believe that, either, but I'm willing to concede that it's possible) but since it wouldn't really matter (on a personal level) whether such a thing/entity existed, to me, it might as well not exist.

What she said.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, as opposed to those atheists who don't not believe in God.

Then they wouldn't be atheists.

What is a God? --this is what I'm asking.

She told you what "God" is. That's what she doesn't believe in. I agree with her. What makes me an atheist is that I don't believe in an anthropomorphic creator being (as in something other than us).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Then they wouldn't be atheists.
Nonsense. What of the agnostic atheist who "doesn't know" or knows they can't know? or the irreligious atheist, who's just in it out of hate for religion? or the person who feels they understand what "god" is and knows exactly what it is they are not believing in? They too are atheists.

Alceste

Vagabond
Exactly what is it you are not believing in? What is "God"?

I am not believing in mythical narratives that are irrelevant to the direct experience of consciousness.

I might find religious stories interesting, imaginative, thought-provoking or engaging, but there is no advantage to confusing religious stories with actual events. In fact, I recognize how disastrous this can be through my direct experience of consciousness (in the form of seeing the suffering of believers).

Last edited:

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I do not believe in any supernatural forces of any sort. I believe in nothing but the physical.