• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Question for Atheist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Religion is a good thing, when it is healthy and well cared for.

It just turns out that it is plagued and even corrupted outright by theism, dogma and ignorance that even many believers end up feeling compelled to claim that they are believers, but not adherents to any religion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you think the world would be better off without religion?
I don't know.
Tis because I don't know how it's lack would affect those who need it.
But if one assumes the premise that there's no religion because no one needs it, then I'd venture "yes".

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Religion is a good thing, when it is healthy and well cared for.

It just turns out that it is plagued and even corrupted outright by theism, dogma and ignorance that even many believers end up feeling compelled to claim that they are believers, but not adherents to any religion.

Are you saying don't throw the baby out with the bath water? Or do we cut off the infected limb before it spreads?

I guess I am not really sure which way you are going.

dust1n

Zindīq
Your avatar is a fantastic pictorial representation of "underlying problem".

Some people deal with mortality and meaninglessness by making deities that overcome human death. Others need blades hidden in gloves, butterfly costumes, and a thirst for revenge.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

There would either have to be no people, or people would have to be fundamentally different, in general, than they are now. In the first case, I expect the rest of the world without people would be substantially better off. In the second case, it's impossible to say: the kind of human population that didn't need religion may make a far better world or a far worse one depending on what other ways they were different.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It depends on how religion is viewed.

I suppose there's a way the world benefits through religion in the sense of individual motivation and the way people cope with things. Of course there is that detriment as well by which religion causes undue destruction and human suffering too.

I don't think religion will benefit the world no more or less than anything else people come up with in various situations.

That said, I think the world would be far better off without all the flights of fancy and imagination that rises out of religion, that really does no good in seeing hard reality for what it is without the fabrication and embellishment that puts people on some pretty strange paths.

Thumper

Thank the gods I'm an atheist
It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion. ~ Bertrand Russell

suncowiam

Regardless of the results, the processes on which religion makes decisions are flawed.

It's heresay, speculation, and especially faith.

Faith is just a strong willed attempt at accepting the unknown or untrue beliefs.

I completely believe the world would be better off without religion.

Thumper

Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. ~ Denis Diderot

Thumper

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Are you saying don't throw the baby out with the bath water?
Yes, I am. Religion is worth saving. Besides, I am not sure it could be avoided even if it were inherently harmful.

Or do we cut off the infected limb before it spreads?

I guess I am not really sure which way you are going.
My bad. Sorry.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In what way do you think "Religion is worth saving?"
It should acknowledge its own core roles as social aggregator, creator of common language and communicator of values, while healing itself of the entirely exagerated roles of scripture and deity that so plague and threaten so much of it currently.

Oh, and it should learn to stop containing its own potential and become the harbinger of a wider society that it could so easily become.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I suspect religion was created to keep the masses in check. Without religion most folks may just run amok. Maybe we'd have to mature beyond the need for religion first.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If religion could grow up, then it is a force like no other to bring about positive change for culture at large. There is no other organized entity which encompasses so many people and cultures in such diverse places in their lives and brings them together. Science cannot do that, as only reaches those flying at the least at the rational level. So if religion made itself up to date and relevant, it could bring growth and unity instead of this childish ethnocentric ingroup and outgroup divisiveness.