• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for Americans...

Will you have a large gathering for Thanksgiving?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 96.4%
  • We've arranged a safe venue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I can't... I have family with immuno deficiency disorders, and I work in a hospital.

Real sad about that one... Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. :(

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I am one of those folks whom the 'holidays' stress out. I'm alright staying home with kids, cats, and dogs. I do feel poorly for my Grandmother though, who is stuck in a 'home' with Covid. Can't even call her... they moved her to the Covid ward, and there's no phone in that room. :(

Added benefit is that I can eat whatever I want, other than picking off side dish trays(vegetarian).

I'm sorry to hear that... My thoughts go with your grandma. I hope she fights through it unscathed.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Just hubby and I. Nornally I would do a large hosting, 28 people some years. It's a sad loss, but not an unreasonable one.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's basically just always been a big meal with my parents, my siblings, and me. But this year my siblings are far away.:(

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
FYI, just because you're safe from Covid doesn't mean you're safe. Japan's October suicide rate was higher than all their Covid deaths in general, for example. Globally, suicides, domestic violence, homicides and substance abuse are going through the roof but hardly anyone seems to notice or care enough to talk about it. It's making me sick and even more hateful towards this world. Nobody cares.

People care. You must find the right people. Chin up.

AUniqueUserName

And Texas is the state hardest hit currently by the virus:

United States Coronavirus: 12,955,007 Cases and 265,891 Deaths - Worldometer

On a per capita basis North and South Dakota are probably worse, but that is not saying much.

Yawn . . .

And . . . ?

Here.

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/TexasCOVID19Demographics.xlsx.asp

Look at the raw data if you'd like.

Cuomo murdered more people in New York by Population and by Per Capita. They continue their policy of locking people up. But you like New York because that governor is enacting the fascist policies you like so much.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Iowa. We've lost a few teachers to death statewide. Got a lot out ill, though, all at the same time.

My sister's best friend had it. Wasn't a big thing for her. My son's grandpa had it. He's dead now. Tested positive Tuesday, passed on Friday.

Someone here likened it to played Russian Roulette(was that you, @Shadow Wolf ?). I liked that analogy.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It seems the 'home' expects residents to provide their own phone service. Most of the residents have cell phones or purchase land line service(she had a land line in her original room). You can indeed call the front desk and ask to talk to her, and I believe in ordinary circumstances, they'd bring her the phone. However, they're so short staffed right now, they just say they'll have her call later(which they don't).

My sister is a traveling nurse, and has gone to work with her a few times. (She was the one who had to break it to her "Grandma, you've got Covid".) She says the staffing situation is miserable. There is not legally enough staff in some places, but there are no staff to fill the gaps. What are the alternatives?

I read the governor was thinking of reaching out and asking medical staff to come to Iowa to work because we are so low on medical and personal care personnel, but its hard not to be disgusted. Iowa, until a week ago, was one of two states without a mask mandate. She finally put one in place last week.... for parties over 25. :confused: Party of 23? No masks required...

Like we should be having a party of 25 right now...
I'm sorry to hear about your G-ma. Hope she pulls through!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Someone here likened it to played Russian Roulette(was that you, @Shadow Wolf ?). I liked that analogy.
Yes. Not so much with death for a healthy person who isn't old, but it's pretty much exactly that in odds of getting seriously and being admitted into the hospital. And if you get bad enough for ICU and especially intubated, its about the same odds again.
Pretty good odds for a low stake wager. But when the stakes are this high those odds are a "probably" that isn't very assuring
Iowa. We've lost a few teachers to death statewide.
Where my friend's kids go to school, they lost a bus driver and I think she said a cook. They keep opening and the shutting the school. Reopen, reclose.
(This actually legit being one of the better schools in the state academically. My high school education was about on par with 100 and some 200 level courses. But damn they're dumb there.).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Locally, our hospital directors have begged folks to just stay home... they're full. They're running out of staff. Its just an ugly situation all around.

AUniqueUserName

Iowa. We've lost a few teachers to death statewide. Got a lot out ill, though, all at the same time.

My sister's best friend had it. Wasn't a big thing for her. My son's grandpa had it. He's dead now. Tested positive Tuesday, passed on Friday.

It kills the old more than anything else. But the truth is that people will do what they will do regardless of whatever rules one sets up. You can see that by all the politicians and news anchors breaking their own rules.

I feel bad primarily for those whose governors forced covid-positive patients into their nursing homes.

But if someone really wants to see their children and grandchildren, gets infected and dies, that's their choice. Life has risks and people should be able to decide whether the risks are worth it or not.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It kills the old more than anything else. But the truth is that people will do what they will do regardless of whatever rules one sets up. You can see that by all the politicians and news anchors breaking their own rules.

I feel bad primarily for those whose governors forced covid-positive patients into their nursing homes.

But if someone really wants to see their children and grandchildren, gets infected and dies, that's their choice. Life has risks and people should be able to decide whether the risks are worth it or not.

It kills the old more than anything.......

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahabababa

Excuse me.

Hahahahahahaha hahaha

Ok. No seriously. Look it up, it's not just the old. The old are more at risk yes, but many people both young and old are getting seriously ill and/or dying.

*I'm a silly American, it's my God given right to kill my neighbor via Plague*. Evolution or something rather. Budweiser.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The old may die at a greater rate... but...

Is that okay? Are old people expendable?

"Yeah, it killed granny, and three of her friends, but its okay, because they're all over 75". :confused:

I'm not sure why some people seem to be reassured by this. And then of course, there are the random healthy young folks that pass, too...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I really want to know...

I know there are those who think that COVID-19 is fake, and I know there are those who think it's very dangerous.

But I also know how important this family holiday is for Americans -- possibly more so even than Christmas -- and that this break in tradition would be a real wrench for many.

And I know that the concern many Americans have for leaving out much-loved family members -- not bringing them "home for the holidays" would seem to be just about a tragedy.

So, Americans, what will you do? And if you'd care to answer ----- why?
Not American, but for our Thanksgiving, we stayed home and saw my family over Zoom.