• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about The Second Amendment

The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

My question: What is the significant difference between:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

AND

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I think to understand the founders words here in the constitution, we must know what they said elsewhere when they talked about arms and malitia.

Heres a list of quotes. Gun Quotes From Our Founding Fathers – 2nd Amendment

Basically in a nutshell, the founding fathers are saying that this malitia IS the CIVILIANS of the country. The purpose of the arms was incase the government got out of control.

So, it is a discusting and evil thing that the left is doing in trying to ban certain kinds of guns. If government gets out of control, well, we need the same equal guns THEY have.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You underestimate the capability of a deer hunter with a bolt action rifle.
I grew up with them (I'm also a good shot myself, just not with revolvers for some reason). They're basically the ones I tell people who are going to have the best chances against the US Military in the event of a civil war. Those who rambling and prancing on about this gun and that gun to save the day I consider "revolution fodder." Those will be the types to run in like Rambo, except they're all going to be the ones who end up mowed down and killed. But even a half-way decent hunter who knows the lands and knows how to make a few IEDs, with the lower-tech the communication the better, that one person is going to be a way bigger threat and danger to Uncle Sam than those militia types masturbating to their guns.

leov

It is a well regulated militia, but to my knowledge there are no actual legal definitions or stipulations as to what qualifies as a "well regulated militia."
Only the entire population of the USA in potentiality fits “well regulated militia” definition.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Only the entire population of the USA in potentiality fits “well regulated militia” definition.
No, because there are many citizens who have sufficiently demonstrated they should not be allowed to posses a firearm.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Not all the time, but often enough to catch anything of life that may have happened that would impair their fitness to have a gun. I think we need to treat drivers license about the same, and require actual retesting with the driving test just to periodically check to make sure it's not something they're struggling with (it also takes care of the "age question," as it's a test of actual ability rather than an arbitrary age cut-off that may have age-related things that may-or-may-not actually apply to someone).

Drivers lisences should be abolished. If driving is a priveledge, then technically, LIFE is a privilege and not a right. Because without driving, the economy would not exist in its current form and billions would die.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Drivers lisences should be abolished. If driving is a priveledge, then technically, LIFE is a privilege and not a right. Because without driving, the economy would not exist in its current form and billions would die.
People driving cars are also a significant health risk, issue, and concern. If people keep being found guilty of some sort of reckless and driving habits and practices, oh well if they lose their license. People like them are known for causing other people to lose their life (sometimes entire families perish at their hands).

People driving cars are also a significant health risk, issue, and concern. If people keep being found guilty of some sort of reckless and driving habits and practices, oh well if they lose their license. People like them are known for causing other people to lose their life (sometimes entire families perish at their hands).

Yes, and gauss who got into those crashes? People with lisences. So, the very lisence that suppose to combat against bad driving, does NOT work.

Therefore, abolish it. Its useless.

leov

No, because there are many citizens who have sufficiently demonstrated they should not be allowed to posses a firearm.
Technically it is unconstitutional to forbid them to have arms. Constitution have to be revised then, imo..

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
And not one of those questions deals with safety, care, and proper handling and storage of a firearm. "Do you think it's appropriate to use firearms while under the influence of intoxicating substances?" It won't catch everyone, but anyone who would answer yes doesn't need a gun.
I used to live right down the street from this store when I was going to college. It has been out of business since 2006. It could not compete with Bass Pro Shops.
liquor.jpg

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
. They're basically the ones I tell people who are going to have the best chances against the US Military in the event of a civil war.

I find this very funny amongst lefties. They assume that it's the gun lovers that will have to face the military. Newsflash, it is the anti-gun folks that are revolting against the U.S. Military troops don't come from ivy school families. Soldiers come from mostly poor and rural areas. Do you think the troops would turn against their own families to defend rich upper class folks who are anti-gun? Meh always a very amusing assumption most lefties always take. Just more evidence how out of touch with reality most are.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The citizens are the militia. You underestimate the capability of a deer hunter with a bolt action rifle. I'd take a seasoned deer or Turkey hunter with a bolt action rifle, or a shotgun any day over a non-hunter with an ar15.
Have you ever been hunting? I grew up hunting. I am not sure if you are aware of this, but the hunters have guns, the deer and turkey do not. There are some skills that may cross over, but hunting does not qualify as military training.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I find this very funny amongst lefties. They assume that it's the gun lovers that will have to face the military. Newsflash, it is the anti-gun folks that are revolting against the U.S. Military troops don't come from ivy school families. Soldiers come from mostly poor and rural areas. Do you think the troops would turn against their own families to defend rich upper class folks who are anti-gun? Meh always a very amusing assumption most lefties always take. Just more evidence how out of touch with reality most are.
I was not aware that soldiers operated under a consensus of the troops or just made up their own orders to carry out.

Shad

Veteran Member
And lots of those rural homes have a shotgun or rifle. They don't have enough to arm a militia. It's not unusual if they frown upon handguns. Some are ok with them, some aren't. And they tend to be very big into gun safety.

You are confusing a citizen with an armory.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, and gauss who got into those crashes? People with lisences. So, the very lisence that suppose to combat against bad driving, does NOT work.

Therefore, abolish it. Its useless.
You have to generally take one driving test your entire life. I didn't even have to re-take it when I got my California license. Defensive driving courses, yes I've known many people who've had to take those. But get behind the wheel while someone directly observes them driving after the first time? I don't think I've ever heard of it happening.

Shad

Veteran Member
I was not aware that soldiers operated under a consensus of the troops or just made up their own orders to carry out.

There is a major difference between the military bombing people in Afghanistan and bombing say Chicago. Some soldiers will have major issues with the latter. The last Civil War split the military. Think about that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What does it take to organize and assemble a well-regulated militia? I have never looked into it. Outside of the National Guard, I don't know of any. Well any that aren't part of some extremist group. I doubt they are well-regulated.

Can you get grant money for this?
To be honest I do not think that the National Guard was the sort of militia intended by the founders. And also please note, the right to bear arms has already been ruled not the right to bear any arms. One can get a fully automatic rifle if one lives in the right state and is willing to go through massive regulation.

By the way, for those that claim that regulation would not end the some of the latest mass killings that we have seen how many were done with fully automatic weapons? The one possible example was the killings in Las Vegas with a bump stock. Those only work when there is a massive crowd of people because they are incredibly inaccurate.

I am for reasonable gun control. There really is no purpose for the size of magazines one can get for some rifles. Not for self defense, not for hunting. And the last time there was a zombie apocalypse was almost 2,000 years ago.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
There is a major difference between the military bombing people in Afghanistan and bombing say Chicago. Some soldiers will have major issues with the latter. The last Civil War split the military. Think about that.
According to the post I responded to, they will have no problem bombing Chicago. Just not BFE Oklahoma or Scrotum, Idaho.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

One can still commute without a driving license. I don't think that your logic quite holds.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You are confusing a citizen with an armory.
Do you really think I'm that dumb? That somehow I can't see the difference between a place where weapons, armor, and supplies are conventionally stored for military/militia purposes and a citizen who has a ton of guns in their closet, drawers, counters, trucks, and boats?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Have you ever been hunting?

I live in Appalachia. That's like asking if I have ever breathed.

Yes, I hunted for many years. Not recently due to health though.

. I am not sure if you are aware of this, but the hunters have guns, the deer and turkey do not.

How is that relevant?

There are some skills that may cross over, but hunting does not qualify as military training.

Who said citizens had to be military trained to own a gun?

They are sentient human beings, not robots ya know.