• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about The Second Amendment

Skwim

Veteran Member

The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

My question: What is the significant difference between:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

AND

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Our founding fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment realizing a society where only the police, military, and criminals bear arms is a society vulnerable to oppression, crime and genocide.

"Defensive uses of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed (Cook and Ludwig, 1996; Kleck, 2001a). Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year (Kleck, 2001a), in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 (BJS, 2010)

http://www.ncdsv.org/images/IOM-NRC...e-threat-of-firearm-related-violence_2013.pdf

Guns are used more often to prevent violent crimes than be used to commit crimes.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm curious, because there is an utter absence of a well regulated militia or even any sort of measurements and tests of safety and competence when it comes to getting a gun and permits for them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Our founding fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment realizing a society where only the police, military, and criminals bear arms is a society vulnerable to oppression and genocide.
They didn't really have police then like we have today, and you're forgetting that militia part, which back then was for local defense option (the "Minute Men.") because who knows how long it could be before the US Military could arrive. And do you think Uncle Sam, Founders included, were pro-"Revolt Against Me?" And several Founders, such as Washington, had first-hand experience what the difference between farmers with a rifle and military-trained and provisioned soldiers is. Uncle Sam wouldn't have won the Revolution had it not been for the French. And do you believe having a gun will prevent Uncle Sam from writing away freedom? What are you going to do? Face 1,000 troops with a couple dozen or so militia members? That's not just a war that involves guns. And "out-teching" Uncle Sam really isn't an option.

leov

The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

My question: What is the significant difference between:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

AND

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Militia is formed out of civil population. So, population must have arms to form militia.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I'm curious, because there is an utter absence of a well regulated militia or even any sort of measurements and tests of safety and competence when it comes to getting a gun and permits for them.

Here is the ATF form required to be filled out for every new gun purchase. If you lie on this form it is an automatic felony.
Atf_form_4473-firearms_transaction_record_5300_9revised_0.pdf.jpg

And which permits are you inquiring about?

Concealed carry in the United States - Wikipedia which requires your finger prints to be stored in a national database and full background check.

Or a class 3 weapons permit a.k.a.:

Federal Firearms License - Wikipedia which can cost upwards to $5,000 a year after taxes, fees, etc to issue, renew, and maintain.

Any felony convictions, misdemeanor domestic violence convictions, or history of certain diagnosed mentall illnesses automatically prevent you from obtaining these license and firearms.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
What does it take to organize and assemble a well-regulated militia? I have never looked into it. Outside of the National Guard, I don't know of any. Well any that aren't part of some extremist group. I doubt they are well-regulated.

Can you get grant money for this?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And not one of those questions deals with safety, care, and proper handling and storage of a firearm. "Do you think it's appropriate to use firearms while under the influence of intoxicating substances?" It won't catch everyone, but anyone who would answer yes doesn't need a gun.

Enoch07

Premium Member
They didn't really have police then like we have today, and you're forgetting that militia part, which back then was for local defense option (the "Minute Men.") because who knows how long it could be before the US Military could arrive.

This is still true today. In rural areas it may take as long as 30 minutes for the cops to arrive at your home once called. That's far too long to rely solely on the police.

Also this holds true today. We haven't been invaded by a ground force on U.S. soil because our enemies know there is a gun behind every blade of grass.

MonkeyFire

Believers in violence (good & evil) go on their belly. God, not guns. Believe it.

Last edited:

Enoch07

Premium Member
And not one of those questions deals with safety, care, and proper handling and storage of a firearm.

That's what gun safety courses are for. They are cheap and readily available. If you can afford a gun you can afford to take the class.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And lots of those rural homes have a shotgun or rifle. They don't have enough to arm a militia. It's not unusual if they frown upon handguns. Some are ok with them, some aren't. And they tend to be very big into gun safety.

Enoch07

Premium Member
True. Take it first to demonstrate you know how to handle it.

I'm not opposed to a gun safety course being a requirement before purchase. Though you shouldn't have to take a course for each purchase. Maybe make it a license that you need to retake the course every 5 years to renew the license, or something like that. Similar to how other govt issued licenses works.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The "well regulated militia" today is the National Guard.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe make it a license that you need to retake the course every 5 years to renew the license, or something like that.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. Not all the time, but often enough to catch anything of life that may have happened that would impair their fitness to have a gun. I think we need to treat drivers license about the same, and require actual retesting with the driving test just to periodically check to make sure it's not something they're struggling with (it also takes care of the "age question," as it's a test of actual ability rather than an arbitrary age cut-off that may have age-related things that may-or-may-not actually apply to someone).

Enoch07

Premium Member
And lots of those rural homes have a shotgun or rifle. They don't have enough to arm a militia. It's not unusual if they frown upon handguns. Some are ok with them, some aren't. And they tend to be very big into gun safety.

The citizens are the militia. You underestimate the capability of a deer hunter with a bolt action rifle. I'd take a seasoned deer or Turkey hunter with a bolt action rifle, or a shotgun any day over a non-hunter with an ar15.