1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about the fate of Enoch, great-grandfather of Noah

Discussion in 'Scriptural Debates' started by Gargovic Malkav, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Gargovic Malkav

Gargovic Malkav Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    Religion:
    I worship and believe in the One I see as the Source of Everything as a result of experience and faith. Label me as you see fit.
    This question is mainly directed at Jews/Noahides, Muslims, Baha'i etc. because I think I already know the answer to this question from a Christian perspective, as Paul has given an explanation regarding his fate in the Bible.

So what do you think what happened to Enoch?
    Did something special happen to him, or did he die like the others, or was it something else?

2. crossfire

crossfire Antinomian feminist heretic freak ☿
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,712
    Religion:
    ☿ Mercuræn Mahayana Buddhist & Pastafarian
    Tradition within the circles I frequent have Enoch becoming the Angel Metatron.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. rosends

rosends Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,785
    Religion:
    Jewish
    Here is some discussion from a particular Jewish perspective.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,335
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    According to my beliefs.......”Enoch was one of the “so great a cloud of witnesses” who were outstanding examples of faith in ancient times. “Enoch kept walking with the true God.” (Ge 5:18, 21-24; Heb 11:5; 12:1) As a prophet of Jehovah, he foretold God’s coming with His holy myriads to execute judgment against the ungodly. (Jude 14, 15)

Likely persecution was brought against him because of his prophesying. However, God did not permit the opposers to kill Enoch. Instead, Jehovah “took him,” that is, cut short his life at the age of 365, an age far below that of most of his contemporaries. Enoch was “transferred so as not to see death,” which may mean that God put him in a prophetic trance and then terminated Enoch’s life while he was in the trance so that he did not experience the pangs of death. (Ge 5:24; Heb 11:5, 13)

However, he was not taken to heaven, in view of Jesus’ clear statement at John 3:13. It appears that, as in the case of Moses’ body, Jehovah disposed of Enoch’s body, for “he was nowhere to be found.”—De 34:5, 6; Jude 9.

Enoch is not the writer of the “Book of Enoch.” This is an uninspired, apocryphal book written many centuries later, probably sometime during the second and first centuries B.C.E.”
    (Excerpts from https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001371)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. sealchan

sealchan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,993
    Religion:
    Christian
    For me the scripture which mentions Enoch is intriguing because it says so little but that little is highly interesting. I believe that this must have been a reference to a known figure who the author wanted to mention or acknowledge but yet at the same time there was no more specific reason for the author to include further details or it would have been undesirable distracting to the authors purpose to have gone any deeper into Enoch. A lot of Genesis seems to want to take pre-existing narratives and repurpose them for a new narrative focused on the Jewish God. Each story is carefully crafted and neither too little nor too much is told.

So my question is who was Enoch such that a reference to his story was deemed both valuable and yet too distracting?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Gargovic Malkav

Gargovic Malkav Active Member

Ratings:
    +415
    Religion:
    I worship and believe in the One I see as the Source of Everything as a result of experience and faith. Label me as you see fit.
    Perhaps it was more like an honorable mention of sorts?

• Like Like x 1
  7. sealchan

sealchan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,993
    Religion:
    Christian
    It could be. It would be good to know what, if any, story this tidbit about Enoch is in reference to. I recently started listening to a lecture on the influence of contemporary myth on the formation of Genesis and it seems the Enuma Elish was clearly a big source of material. The Genesis creation story seems very much like a direct commentary on the Babylonian story in a way referencing it as "given" yet, at the same time, completely changing the tone and importance of its elements. I expect putting the two side by side would make for a very interesting study.

Enoch seems like his story must have some reference...like so much of Genesis (in fact, I have found the core themes of the Mahabharata in the story of Jacob). Knowing that reference will say a great deal about why the author of Genesis spoke of Enoch.

• Useful Useful x 1