• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about King David on his Death Bed

8mystic8

Hello. First, I wanted to apologize for creating a thread just for this question, but I did do my research in Kings, Samuel, and the Chronicles.

Anyways a few months ago I heard a pastor from Calvary Chapel on the radio say that David on his death bed was still bothered that Shimei cursed him. He said David told his son Solomon to get revenge. I would like to find these passages, and if you can help I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Lady B

noob
Hello. First, I wanted to apologize for creating a thread just for this question, but I did do my research in Kings, Samuel, and the Chronicles.

Anyways a few months ago I heard a pastor from Calvary Chapel on the radio say that David on his death bed was still bothered that Shimei cursed him. He said David told his son Solomon to get revenge. I would like to find these passages, and if you can help I would appreciate it. Thank you.
I am trying to help you, Just don't want you to think no one is out here :D Just give me a few to read up....

Levite

Higher and Higher

1 Kings 2:8. That whole chapter is an awesome bit of drama: David, on his deathbed, is giving Solomon, his heir, instruction for settling family accounts to secure his throne. It always reminds me of Michael Corleone's ascension to power at the end of "The Godfather."

Lady B

noob

Ok I have read up and It is true David did ask Solomon to be sure Shimei met a bloody end.... Solomon actually put Shimei's death in his own hands and made a rule he could not leave his city, and when He disobeyed he was put to death. It is complicated and As Levite said, drama filled. I cannot understand how David forgave him and said He will not die, yet gave a revenge command on his deathbed. I can only assume bitterness had seeped into David's heart as he drew near to death or perhaps He was fearful for Solomon to have the same problems with this man who cursed him. It is very interesting indeed and I will have to find a good commentary on this passage because now I am intrigued as well....More drama ensues as after Shimei's death Solomon married his wife........hmmmmm

Levite

Higher and Higher
Ok I have read up and It is true David did ask Solomon to be sure Shimei met a bloody end.... Solomon actually put Shimei's death in his own hands and made a rule he could not leave his city, and when He disobeyed he was put to death. It is complicated and As Levite said, drama filled. I cannot understand how David forgave him and said He will not die, yet gave a revenge command on his deathbed. I can only assume bitterness had seeped into David's heart as he drew near to death or perhaps He was fearful for Solomon to have the same problems with this man who cursed him. It is very interesting indeed and I will have to find a good commentary on this passage because now I am intrigued as well....More drama ensues as after Shimei's death Solomon married his wife........hmmmmm

I think this is representative of the tension between David needing to be forgiving, and willing to keep his vows, but also needing to take thought as kings do to put down enemies of the throne, and not suffer rebels to prosper indefinitely.

I like it because it portrays David and Solomon as very human, nuanced characters.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
1 Kings 2:8. That whole chapter is an awesome bit of drama: David, on his deathbed, is giving Solomon, his heir, instruction for settling family accounts to secure his throne. It always reminds me of Michael Corleone's ascension to power at the end of "The Godfather."
This part has always been very vivid to me. Just like you see The Godfather there, it reminds me of the Cleansing of the House montage in Children of Dune, as the Fremen remove possible threats to House Atreides, including executing revenge on Muad'Dib's enemies.
It's a very potent part of the Bible, very powerfully human and harsh.

Last edited:

Lady B

noob
I think this is representative of the tension between David needing to be forgiving, and willing to keep his vows, but also needing to take thought as kings do to put down enemies of the throne, and not suffer rebels to prosper indefinitely.

I like it because it portrays David and Solomon as very human, nuanced characters.
I agree, sometimes we forget these men whom God Loved were still just men and Go through the same turmoils trials and emotions each of us do.:)

Levite

Higher and Higher
This part has always been very vivid to me. Just like you see The Godfather there, it reminds me of the Cleansing of the House montage in Children of Dune, as the Fremen remove possible threats to House Atreides, including executing revenge on Muad'Dib's enemies.
It's a very potent part of the Bible, very powerfully human and harsh.

Yeah, that's a great parallel! I can totally see that!