• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question about death

Sententia

Nope! Not even a little. In fact, there are days when I can't wait to die! I know that sounds bad, but that's not how I mean it at all. I'm not in any way shape or form suicidal, nor do I even anticipate situations where I could hope for death to occur (in fact, I'm going into the profession of saving lives). I look at it more like I did my first trip to Mexico - I knew that I wasn't leaving for a long time to come, I was excited to go, but it's not as though I could do anything to make the day come sooner, even if I wanted. There's a certain joy in that waiting, in that sense of excitement of only having the vaguest notion of what to expect.

I believe in reincarnation, so it's exciting to think of all the possibilities of what I could be next. Like that trip to Mexico, I find myself wondering; will I get to choose the adventures that I go on or do I already have a set timetable waiting for me?

When my life is all said and done (hopefully not for a long time!) I look forward to being able to look back over my life and see it from that outside point of view. What was the point of my life? Was there one thing in particular that it was my ultimate duty to do before I died? Did I accomplish it? Did I learn the lesson that my soul was supposed to learn in this lifetime?

There are so many unanswered questions for me - about the gods, about loved ones long passed, about the future of the soul - that honestly, I can't wait to find out!

Because of my belief in reincarnation and reward/punishment of the soul in subsequent lives, I also don't have a problem with death in general. I celebrate the death of the elderly, who have lived full lives and finally go to enjoy their rest and celebration in the Hunting Grounds before living again. I celebrate the death of those who are disabled or terminally ill, who have fought the good fight, paid their dues and finally move on to their reward.

Death is as constant as life. I can't help but feel that we make a bigger deal of it than it has to be. It just is, and will be an inevitable adventure for us all.

And what a grand adventure it will be!

I'm unsure if this is amusing or frightening... In either event the belief in reincarnation is not founded in fact or the scientific method and is pure conjecture. There is no more proof for it then say fairies or spellfire. Nonetheless it has provoked great emotion and is a guiding force in your life.

The feeling you have and the reality that it represents to you is really what many on these forums talk about. Whether its a diety speaking directly to you, an angel healing your wounds or swooping you into safety of just the guiding force in your life.

Less flattering it is the feeling of certainity that has guided the age old murderers of witches and feuled the battle lust on the battle fields of holy wars.

In the end I debate whether it is just ego at work in the most amazing brain on the planet or something more sinister...

What is certain, I feel... Is people who would seek to harm themselves or others because of their personal fantasy or encourage others to do so are a clear and present danger in that it is so unknown... I am relieved to hear you say you dont seek to harm anyone.

rojse

RF Addict
(this is obviously aimed at non theists)..................

Do you fear Death ? (I am presuming that you believe that there is nothing left of you after death than the memories of those still living of you).

It seems to me that the pain of dying could be the only thing you would have to fear.

So, do you fear Death? If so, why?

Not really. I don't see too much point about worrying about death, except for being both passively and actively safe.

they believe they have a noncorporeal form or an eternal spirit or someother fantasy. Reincarnation.

at least they are holding on to something even if it maybe an illusion, afterall does the mind has power over matter ?

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
I'm unsure if this is amusing or frightening... In either event the belief in reincarnation is not founded in fact or the scientific method and is pure conjecture. There is no more proof for it then say fairies or spellfire. Nonetheless it has provoked great emotion and is a guiding force in your life.

The feeling you have and the reality that it represents to you is really what many on these forums talk about. Whether its a diety speaking directly to you, an angel healing your wounds or swooping you into safety of just the guiding force in your life.

Less flattering it is the feeling of certainity that has guided the age old murderers of witches and feuled the battle lust on the battle fields of holy wars.

In the end I debate whether it is just ego at work in the most amazing brain on the planet or something more sinister...

What is certain, I feel... Is people who would seek to harm themselves or others because of their personal fantasy or encourage others to do so are a clear and present danger in that it is so unknown... I am relieved to hear you say you dont seek to harm anyone.

That is why the athiest has no belief in any god, nevermind the conjecture of an afterlife. Because what proof do we have of anything? We don't. I have no more proof that my gods and afterlife exist than I do of the Hindu, Christian or Buddhist gods. But my beliefs comfort me (I'll not say they comfort my soul because I'm sure you'd bring up the point that there is no proof that souls exist!), and that is why I believe them to be true.

Lol, looking back, I can see how some of what I wrote might sound a little disturbing, but I guess one could look at it more as a celebration of life than the act of death itself. When I spoke of the disabled or terminally ill, I had in my mind the death of my uncle - a man who died at the age of 42, but who by all rights should have died before his 1st birthday. Every year the doctors said would be his last, and every year he lived to see another birthday. So when he finally died (ironically of a completely unrelated brain aneurism!), it was a relief to finally see his pain come to an end, but also it was a time to celebrate his life - his 42 years of borrowed time that he fought tooth and nail to have. I see it as a well deserved rest, one in which he will hopefully be rewarded with his choice of his next life.

Too much reverence in life is a bad thing. Our society thinks that life is so important that people are denied the right to die. People who have to live out their final days in agony, or being kept alive on machines simply because we can't bear to see them go? i think it's direspectful and wrong. Do my spiritual beliefs play a part in that? Of course, they have to. But still, even if there is nothing after this life, oblivion seems better to me than existing in pain or lying prone on a bed having a machine keep me alive. Should we have respect for life? Absolutely. Should we treat life with honour and dignity? You betcha. But should we cling to life despite itself? Seems ridiculous to me.

Besides, how can you really live if you're always afraid of death? My sister's going through that right now. A friend of the family just died in a car crash, and now she's worrying herself to death about what might happen if her boyfriend dies, or out parents. She disolves into tears just thinking about the maybes. To me that's no way to live. My spiritual beliefs enable me to live my life to the fullest, and ultimately isn't that the point?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There has to be something bigger afterall inside or outside this physical universe for none of our big brains ( cosmologists) have been able to explain the existance of dark matter for exemple
Many things were in dark and later they became known. Dark Matter, may not always remain dark.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What is surprising is those that believe there is more to life after death fear death even more then those who believe death is the end.. I guess most do in my experience.
Agree, the only way to overcome the fear of death is to understand that there is no death. What dies? The atoms that constitute me will always be alive, they are indestrutible.

Naturalist_Atheist

Uh.... Pootie Tang.
(this is obviously aimed at non theists)..................

Do you fear Death ? (I am presuming that you believe that there is nothing left of you after death than the memories of those still living of you).

It seems to me that the pain of dying could be the only thing you would have to fear.

So, do you fear Death? If so, why?

I fear dying a lot more than I fear death.

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
And what makes you believe in re-incarnation? What is spiritual belief (a new name for an illusion)?

I'm a little unclear as to what your question is? I see you identify as Hindu, but your last question suggests a more atheist philosophical approach.

I believe in reincarnation because that is a part of the beliefs of my chosen spirituality. That sits well with me because I find the idea of heaven disturbing. There is so much to experience in this world that being denied a chance to come back and see more of it is the ultimate hell in my books!

UnityNow101

What is this death which you speak of? It is the elimination of the self and of the personality, along with the material possessions which one owns. Does any of this exist to begin with, or is it all just the conditioning of this state which we call life, which seems to be a self-produced allusion. Think back of when you were a newborn babe, before you had any possessions or a personality for which to identify yourself. Was there a fear of death, or did this fear only come about when you were able to comprehend the conditioning, which becomes personality and the "self?" When one has died to both this false sense of self and personality, and understands it for what is really is, which is the conditioning of the life which lies beyond these veils, then there is nothing to fear in death. The person has already died to the very aspect which creates the fear of dying...

Therefore, I do not fear death because this death has never existed. The self and personality are conditioned allusions which can be brought to naught by every single person. We all share the common thread of existence, which is life, that continues on into eternity...

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend CelticRavenwolf,

I find the idea of heaven disturbing. There is so much to experience in this world that being denied a chance to come back and see more of it is the ultimate hell in my books!

It appears that you feel that those who do not get rebirth stay in heaven?
Does it mean there is such a place called HEAVEN???

Love & rgds

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
Friend CelticRavenwolf,

It appears that you feel that those who do not get rebirth stay in heaven?
Does it mean there is such a place called HEAVEN???

Love & rgds

I hope not. I mean, everyone seems to have a different idea of what 'heaven' is, but mostly it seems to be the absence of all things negative. But as the saying goes, what is pleasure without pain?

Essentially, there is the Happy Hunting Grounds - kind of like a limbo or purgatory where the soul goes to rest and take on the form of the new life. As I understand it the soul can stay there as long as they so choose, until they're ready to move on. Close enough to 'heaven' in my books!

What do you believe, dear ZenZero?

Sententia

I hope not. I mean, everyone seems to have a different idea of what 'heaven' is, but mostly it seems to be the absence of all things negative. But as the saying goes, what is pleasure without pain?

Essentially, there is the Happy Hunting Grounds - kind of like a limbo or purgatory where the soul goes to rest and take on the form of the new life. As I understand it the soul can stay there as long as they so choose, until they're ready to move on. Close enough to 'heaven' in my books!

Im a non theist and I dont believe in souls at all... I dunno if I can post here or not so smack me around if Im being evil or something.

Clearly we are biological creatures and products of brains. Our brains are incredible but if they are not functioning the state of consciousness you experience will also not exist and if that is indeed true why would one care?

Makes life seem like less? Its all there is so to me it would seem like that makes it more...

I pondered once that people who think life is meaningless without an afterlife have no sense of direction and lack imagination and thus need religion to guide them.

But then I thought that perhaps its is religion that needs people who can not find their way without being guided.

Then it was like the chicken and the egg argument...

And I think it was the chicken... ;)

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I don't know if I'd say I'm afraid of the pain of dying... I just don't want to die. I want to keep existing. Existing is basicly all I do!!

CelticRavenwolf

She Who is Lost
Im a non theist and I dont believe in souls at all... I dunno if I can post here or not so smack me around if Im being evil or something.

Clearly we are biological creatures and products of brains. Our brains are incredible but if they are not functioning the state of consciousness you experience will also not exist and if that is indeed true why would one care?

Makes life seem like less? Its all there is so to me it would seem like that makes it more...

I pondered once that people who think life is meaningless without an afterlife have no sense of direction and lack imagination and thus need religion to guide them.

But then I thought that perhaps its is religion that needs people who can not find their way without being guided.

Then it was like the chicken and the egg argument...

And I think it was the chicken... ;)

Lol, I refuse to be drawn into the eternal athiest debate! If this is all that we have, I say that sucks ***, and is ultimately irrelevant. Because if we end up as nothing after we die, then it doesn't really matter anyway. It doesn't change how I live my life - at least, not to the extent where I'd go kill someone or rob a bank or something because "we're all dust so nothing matters", but you get the idea.

Spirituality provides guidance and hope. It removes fear of the unknown and offers solace. Having no fear of death allows me to live my life.

It also helps that I DO believe in such things - and trust me, I have plenty of imagination to go around! While my faith gives me comfort, it has yet to provide direction in life, but that means little to me.

You pose an interesting question though (and I dont mean the chicken or the egg). I think that if I truly believed that there was nothing after death I would be a much more cautious person. I wouldn't throw myself wholeheartedly into any risky situation, because if this is all I get I wouldn't want to cut it short prematurely!

Meh, or maybe I would, and would just ride the hell out of life and take no prisoners. But alas, we'll never know, will we? ;)

Sententia

It was the egg.

"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" does not specify which kind of egg, so some sort of egg existed before chickens did. :D

I would agree you are right... but did the chicken come first or did he hatch from a chicken egg first? Not all chickens or all eggs but just this first chicken...

Can there be a first chicken? Was the chicken a fish first? How did we even get chickens and when did we think they would make good nuggets? What possessed us to look at a chicken and think hmmm... without feathers and cut up into little nuggets and deep fried with sweet and sour sauce in a box of 20... yummy chicken...

I dont get it...

There must be a LOT of information I dont have on this subject.

Sententia

Lol, I refuse to be drawn into the eternal athiest debate! If this is all that we have, I say that sucks ***, and is ultimately irrelevant. Because if we end up as nothing after we die, then it doesn't really matter anyway. It doesn't change how I live my life - at least, not to the extent where I'd go kill someone or rob a bank or something because "we're all dust so nothing matters", but you get the idea.

Spirituality provides guidance and hope. It removes fear of the unknown and offers solace. Having no fear of death allows me to live my life.

It also helps that I DO believe in such things - and trust me, I have plenty of imagination to go around! While my faith gives me comfort, it has yet to provide direction in life, but that means little to me.

You pose an interesting question though (and I dont mean the chicken or the egg). I think that if I truly believed that there was nothing after death I would be a much more cautious person. I wouldn't throw myself wholeheartedly into any risky situation, because if this is all I get I wouldn't want to cut it short prematurely!

Meh, or maybe I would, and would just ride the hell out of life and take no prisoners. But alas, we'll never know, will we? ;)

Sure but... Why would you reason that if there is nothing after this life and we are all dust afterwards that if you believed that you could kill and rob banks?

I ask because I believe this is it and there is nothing after and I dont think it is right to kill and rob banks etc... What brought you to that belief?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend CelticRavenwolf,

Could be the soul takes a breather somewhere.
Unless can take the CONSCIOUSNESS there, cannot know about it.

Personally have no beliefs in anything; it is only personal experience or understanding that grows on its own.
The problem has been always for enlightened people to put into words what they like to convey as the perceiver always perceives in picture words and reality can only be where the experience and the experiencer becomes ONE. It happens when the MIND is STILL and so it cannot be picturised by the mind.

So, shall wait for the soul to leave the body to give a response. Where is the hurry, anyway.
Love & rgds