• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a question about adultery

chuck010342

"if anybody looks lustfully at a woman he has committed adultery with her in his heart"

I think this only applies to married men because how can you be committing adultery if your not married?
what are your thoughts

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I would tend to believe it is pertaining to a married man...

But if your single don't look at her too long, you may get lustful thoughts....:D

John D

Spiritsurfer
"Adultery" stems from "adulterate"
To mix the "genuine " with another substance so that it is diluted or "changed".
It is my believe that you can apply the principal throughout your life, any situation that needs the application of your morals or spiritual guidelines. Even contemplating the possibility of compromise is "adultery".

But I guess we are more used to the word being used in connection with sex.

dust1n

Zindīq
"if anybody looks lustfully at a woman he has committed adultery with her in his heart"

I think this only applies to married men because how can you be committing adultery if your not married?
what are your thoughts

From what I remember, one who is not married so is doing something 'adulterous' is still in contempt, because he is not married to that person, and would be committing an act against their future spouse.

blackout

Violet.
"Adultery" stems from "adulterate"
To mix the "genuine " with another substance so that it is diluted or "changed".

I am not christian, and do not come to the same conclusion you did,
but wanted to thank you for the word etymology.
I'm going to look into and contemplate that more.
I may just connect positively to that word yet. ;)

Adulterate. I'm truly suprised I've never noticed/seen that before.

It's funny how the etymology of a word
can change it's entire cast and meaning for you .

(next of course, one would have to consider... "genuine".
But as this is a christian directory... I shall reserve my comments.)

Last edited: