• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A proposal to solve the problems of state gerrymandering for federal office

F1fan

Veteran Member
As we all know gerrymandering is a huge problem in states that have a majority of one of the two political parties. They use their authority to create unfair maps so their party can get an unfair advantage of the House, and also cheats the population of these states from fair and equal representation. Perhaps in the past this would not be terribly crucial, but in 2022 with the massive division politically and culturally it is more important that voters be represented and not be trapped by a legislature that controls their ability to attain and maintain power.

I thought about how do states make fair districts and it just seems an impossible task in the sense that how do you draw a map with such a variety of interests. I was struck by the unfairness of Florida that has a near 50/50 democrat to republican divide among voters, but with the new DeSantis map the republicans can attain 20 of the 27 House seats. As we can see representatives seldom really represent only their constituents. Many bills are decided based on party loyalty and the effects apply to the majority of the USA, not just a district.

So this is my proposal:

All political parties that operate in each state present their policy platform. They list out their priorities and their intentions as an agreed upon plan for the state and the nation. Voters of the state vote on which platform they agree with the most. The percentage of what each political party gets sets the ratio of representatives. So if republicans get 53% and democrats get 43% and independents get 4%, the number of representatives is set based on this. So in Florida the Democrats would get 12 representatives, Republicans would get 14 representatives, and there would be 1 Independent representative.

As for the representatives, each party will run enough representatives to fill the quota as a minimum. Each candidate can explain their own positions, both on the party platform, including differences. Then depending on how a citizen voted on the platforms they rank each candidate based on their favorite. So the most favored candidate is assigned 1, and on down. The accumulation of votes according to ranking is how the representatives are selected. So if 20 candidates run for 14 positions only the top 14 are selected.

I would also propose that voting rights be enacted, and that voter registrations do not expire. Using the DMV and license/ID as a verification is an efficient and secure way to maintain election reliability. Federal standards for mail in voting would help the problems states like Texas has had with confusion and discarded votes due to poorly designed ballots and instructions.

Thoughts and criticisms?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
All political parties that operate in each state present their policy platform. They list out their priorities and their intentions as an agreed upon plan for the state and the nation. Voters of the state vote on which platform they agree with the most. The percentage of what each political party gets sets the ratio of representatives.
How do you address district-specific politics?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
One ongoing question is whether geographically representing population is the best way of selecting representatives for legislative duty.

Maybe representatives should be selected in a manner to ensure that minority parties get representation, as is done in some parliamentarian systems.

F1fan

Veteran Member
No. If your 'approach' does not not address (or, perhaps, even contemplate) district level governance simply say so.
As I stated the representatives seldom represent their districts. It is a minor issue given the national influence representatives vote on.

I asked you for examples of why district representation is important, and you offered no reply. So I still am not convinced district mapping is an effective way to select representatives from a state. The mapping causes more problems than what is offered to any arbitrary district's benefit.

F1fan

Veteran Member
One ongoing question is whether geographically representing population is the best way of selecting representatives for legislative duty.

Maybe representatives should be selected in a manner to ensure that minority parties get representation, as is done in some parliamentarian systems.
I think my idea opens the door to that sort of third and other parties to gain influence. There is very little chance for other parties to be competitive with the main parties in power.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I asked you for examples of why district representation is important, and you offered no reply. So I still am not convinced district mapping is an effective way to select representatives from a state. The mapping causes more problems than what is offered to any arbitrary district's benefit.
Out of curiosity, did you vote in the primaries? I ask because your post suggests that you've never seen a ballot.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So this is my proposal:

All political parties that operate in each state present their policy platform. They list out their priorities and their intentions as an agreed upon plan for the state and the nation. Voters of the state vote on which platform they agree with the most. The percentage of what each political party gets sets the ratio of representatives. So if republicans get 53% and democrats get 43% and independents get 4%, the number of representatives is set based on this. So in Florida the Democrats would get 12 representatives, Republicans would get 14 representatives, and there would be 1 Independent representative.
You don't have to make a total switch from a majority voting system to a relative voting system. We have a mixed system where politicians can represent their district (requires a majority) or get a seat through the list. You have two votes, one for a candidate, one for a party.
I guess a mixed system would find more acceptance than a total switch.
I would also propose that voting rights be enacted, and that voter registrations do not expire. Using the DMV and license/ID as a verification is an efficient and secure way to maintain election reliability.
Not everyone has a car or a drivers license.
But an alternative like a mandatory residents registration would probably not fly in the US. It's a part of German bureaucracy that you have to be registered and you have to have an ID. But I get invitations to every election by mail (and the voting location is always in walking distance and elections are always on a Sunday).

But if you just want to do something against Gerrymandering, you won't have to change anything in the voting system. Just have an independent, non partisan commission set the district boundaries, favourably by a comprehensible algorithm. E.g. shortest distance to the voting location.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You don't have to make a total switch from a majority voting system to a relative voting system. We have a mixed system where politicians can represent their district (requires a majority) or get a seat through the list. You have two votes, one for a candidate, one for a party.
I guess a mixed system would find more acceptance than a total switch.
The problem is state legislatures deciding who is in a district. It's not some established boundary. There are districts that include a huge swath of rural land and then part of a city, so those voting groups will have a mixed set of priorities. So why allow one party to decide who ends up representing citizens and allow the citizens a larger say?

And what would a relative voting system look like?

Not everyone has a car or a drivers license.
Right. As we know many republicans made an ID required to vote, so since this is already established, and the typical ID is a state issued ID or license, this is a more efficient process. It also helps with change of address since people are probably more motivated to get a new license than to make a trip to a county office to change voter registration. Efficiency and simplicity will help more people have access to voting.

But an alternative like a mandatory residents registration would probably not fly in the US. It's a part of German bureaucracy that you have to be registered and you have to have an ID. But I get invitations to every election by mail (and the voting location is always in walking distance and elections are always on a Sunday).

But if you just want to do something against Gerrymandering, you won't have to change anything in the voting system. Just have an independent, non partisan commission set the district boundaries, favourably by a comprehensible algorithm. E.g. shortest distance to the voting location.
My point is legislatures are going to ignore this as they have been been even when ordered by courts. So a change in the system itself seems less burdensome in the long term. Creating district maps requires a lot of work that itself can be rampant with flaws and compromises.

Plus as noted, my proposal allows new parties to rise, which is what we are hearing many voters want. The current system works against new parties.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, did you vote in the primaries? I ask because your post suggests that you've never seen a ballot.
Yes. In my state of Kansas we caucus. That itself is a pretty weird and convoluted system. Doing it reminds me of a sort of Rube Goldberg process. It is not efficient.

Plus doing this primary/caucus approach requires voters do a whole other step, and usually it is a small portion of the people, usually the more fervent of the bunch. We have seen more extreme candidates emerge. And whether elected or not, it is a fuzzy process as far as what the consensus wants.

Heyo

Veteran Member
And what would a relative voting system look like?
That one was nonsense, proportional voting system is the term.
Plus as noted, my proposal allows new parties to rise, which is what we are hearing many voters want. The current system works against new parties.
Yep, you are in urgent need of a multi party system. The divide between dem and pub voters (not the parties!) is tearing your country apart.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
To get rid of gerrymandering the districts should be set and divided by an independent apolitical entity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I favor at-large voting.
The greater lack of local influence on politicians
is offset by advantages:
- Less potential for partisan mischief.
- More power for minority parties.