• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Progressive Creed

spiritually inclined

In my prayers, particularly the Rosary, I sometimes use the Apostle's Creed, though as a liberal I do not believe in the infallible authority of the Bible, the creeds, ecumenical councils, or human thought in general. Rather, the Bible, the creeds, the councils, and Christian tradition are sources of truth for me.

However, I have written my own personal creed; I will probably put it to use in my own private prayers. I do not even believe in the infallibility of my own creeds or beliefs, yet I think what I have come up with is a valid expression of my beliefs. I have based this creed on the eight points of Progressive Christianity.

A Progressive Creed

I believe in God, the Inner Light and Sacred Mystery, and that Christ is but one symbol of faith among many leading to life, and more abundantly.

I believe that life itself is the spiritual sacrament of Holy Communion when the love and light of God are encountered in both our joys and sorrows.

I believe that in Holy Communion, the sharing of bread and wine, I encounter Christ, and thus my own joys and sorrows, my endless cycles of re-birth, of death and resurrection.

I believe that all who approach our alters in reverence to partake of Holy Communion should be admitted not because of professed dogma or creeds, but in the hope that all who partake of the Blessed Sacrament may benefit therefrom.

I believe that the Body of Christ, a vessel of grace, encompasses believers and agnostics, Christians and skeptics, women and men, those who are gay, lesbians, bisexual, transgendered, and straight, all manner of races, cultures, and classes, those of varying abilities and talents, people of many creeds and religions, those who hope for a better world, and those who have no hope.

I believe in a search for understanding uninhibited by dogma and rigidity.

I believe in peace, liberty, and justice for all, the duty of protecting the Earth and its lifeforms from undue harm, and the affirmation of the dignity and worth of every person.

I believe that love is the best religion.

I believe that the path of Christ is often long and difficult, entailing selfless love and bold resistance to evil, prejudice, and fear, yet I believe that this path, by whatever name it is called, affirms life, and more abundantly.

Amen. +

James