• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A prayer to help deal with demons

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
As you know, there are no demons or Satan in Hinduism.
I actually did not know that, fascinating!
It is only our ignorance which makes us engage in bad deeds.
Agreed.
Study of scriptures, worship of deities and association with good people is the cure.
We have a book that talks all about this in Chabad Chassidus. It's titled Overcoming Folly. It comes from the 5th Lubavitcher Rebbe, the Rebbe Rashab, if I recall. I read it a long time ago. This whole demon thing, and the 'Fool-ish' nature of these demon possession threads has insprired me to re-read it. I'm expecting to get a lot more out of it now that I know precisely what type of Folly ( aka Foolishness ;)) the Rebbe Rashab was talking about.

ETA: I also can read Hebrew now... so that opens the book to whole new levels and dimensions of understanding. Heeheehee....
{ * he says with a gleam in his eye * }

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Ignorance: Avidya or Ajnana (literally no knowledge or incorrect knowledge).
... results in 'foolish' behavior? The poor soul is living completely in maya?

If so, a person's culpability is greatly diminished for their foolish deeds?

Am I right in understanding what you are saying, Aup?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Since I was talking about a prayer for Corona Virus, here is the first that I came across in Atharva Veda. There may be others as well. Authentic charm, may be 10,000 years old. Unfortunately, I only have the English translation by Ralph Griffith.

HYMN XII
A prayer to Lightning, against fever, headache, and cough

Born from the womb, brought forth from wind and from the cloud, the first red bull comes onward thundering with the rain.
Our bodies may he spare who, cleaving, goes straight on; he who, a single force, divides himself in three.

Bending to thee who clingest to each limb with heat, fain would we worship thee with offered sacrifice, Worship with sacrifice the bends and curves of thee who with a vigorous grasp hast seized on this one's limbs.

Do thou release this man from headache, free him from cough which has entered into all his limbs and joints*. May he, the child of cloud, the offspring of the wind, the whizzing lighting, strike the mountains and the trees.

Well be it with my upper frame, well be it with my lower parts. With my four limbs let it be well. Let all my body be in health.
Atharva Veda: Book 1: Hymn 12: A prayer to Lightning, against fever, headache, and cough

*According to AyurVeda, the Indian system of Medicine, cough (Phlegm, kapha) affects all parts of the body. So also does the malfunction of spleen (Pitta) and of arthritis (Vata). All diseases are considered to be an imbalance of these three.
Dosha - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I've built a cell block so to speak

There shouldn't be any problems for Eddi anymore relating to this specific demon.
I think it must have smuggled a demonic mobile phone into your mental cell block as it is still bothering me

But it feels much more distant than before

So you've obviously done something :D

It is now up to me to block its number and ignore its calls

And wait for the battery of its demonic phone to run out - as it will eventually...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think it must have smuggled a demonic mobile phone into your mental cell block as it is still bothering me

But it feels much more distant than before

So you've obviously done something :D

It is now up to me to block its number and ignore its calls

And wait for the battery of its demonic phone to run out - as it will eventually...
I gave you a winner on this but I *must* correct the record.

You gave me the demon, then I accepted it. We both did something. Not just me.

Also, please remember,

I am nothing,
just a blade of grass.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
... results in 'foolish' behavior? The poor soul is living completely in maya?
If so, a person's culpability is greatly diminished for their foolish deeds?
Am I right in understanding what you are saying, Aup?
Agree with what you say, but the culpability is not reduced. If we talk in theist banter, the person will have to bear the fruits of his/her action. Even Gods cannot help him. Of course, punishment in Hinduism does not normally mean an eternity in hell. The person will get another chance (up to a total of 84,00,000).
Edited: >> Rarely means an eternity in hell <<

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Agree with what you say, but the culpability is not reduced. If we talk in theist banter, the person will have to bear the fruits of his/her action. Even Gods cannot help him. Of course, punishment in Hinduism does not normally mean an eternity in hell. The person will get another chance (up to a total of 84,00,000).
Yes, you're talking theist banter... But I'm not. o_O:D

Jews are outliers... do we agree on that point at least? You can put all the other theists in one big basket, and then there's Judaism, the outsider, as G-d intended. :cool:

Thoughts?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I know, Judaism, was for sons (and daughters, I suppose) of Jacob, Israel. Then the others stole it. :)

"According to the religious narrative of the Hebrew Bible, the Israelites' origin is traced back to the Biblical patriarchs and matriarchs Abraham and his wife Sarah, through their son Isaac and his wife Rebecca, and their son Jacob who was later called Israel, whence they derive their name, with his wives Leah and Rachel and the handmaids Zilpa and Bilhah."
Israelites - Wikipedia

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I know, Judaism, was for sons (and daughters, I suppose) of Jacob, Israel. Then the others stole it. :)

"According to the religious narrative of the Hebrew Bible, the Israelites' origin is traced back to the Biblical patriarchs and matriarchs Abraham and his wife Sarah, through their son Isaac and his wife Rebecca, and their son Jacob who was later called Israel, whence they derive their name, with his wives Leah and Rachel and the handmaids Zilpa and Bilhah."
Israelites - Wikipedia
The point I'm trying to make Aup, is that Judaism has several features that the others do not. They have their own version of salvation redemption and karma. It's not like any of the other Abrahamics. So, it stands to reason that the comparison you were making in post 27 is true. But it isn't true for Jews because of one of these features that are missing from the others.

Again, it's not really missing, it's just different.

Yeah, its both the same and different. In the context of salvation/redemption/karma among the Abrahamics. So when comparing Abrahamics to Hindu, just remember, Judaism is different than the others, very different, So the comparisons are less likely to be accurate **unless you exclude Judaism** from your comparison.

The statements you say are often 100% true for all Abrahamics except Judaism. It's a pattern I've noticed in your writing over the year or so that we've been conversating..

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not fully understand that, but I know there are many differences. You see, Indian Jews were in Kerala, South India, and we are in North. I have not had the occasion to interact with any Jew, Indian or foreign, though we visited the Kochin synagogue last year and love its history and the history of Jews in India. Gives me immense pleasure as to how India treated its religious minorities, Jews and Zoroastrians. However, my Syrian Catholic Christian friend from Kerala claimed that his ancestors were Jewish and converted to Christianity. We loved the Jewish actors in Hindi cinema, of whom there were many, especially David Abraham Cheulkar (Cheul, near Mumbai, being the village from which his family hailed, i.e., 'of Cheul'), who acted in 110 films. David was a Bene Israel.

David Abraham with Indian Prime Minister, Jawahar Lal Nehru; Recipe for a festival dish in Marathi
hqdefault.jpg

800px-120_Bombay_1890.png

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Here's one more to add to the list, psalms 116 read aloud with intention specifically verse 13.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Eddi, give us a prayer for Corona virus rather than demons or prayer for demons. Virus is the current problem, not demons.

सत्य It puzzles me why Christianity is so preoccupied with demons. And I don’t know why rakshasa is translated as demon, and who started that. Trijata and Vibhushana were certainly not evil.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, my demons also do not bother me, because I am not bothered about them. They strike only if you fear them.

On one occasion in the house I lived in I felt a cold presence. I never felt anything like that before in my life. I got up from the recliner where I felt the presence and put a picture of Lord Narasimha on the table next to me. I may have also said a prayer. The feeling went away. No one or nothing messes with the Lion.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
सत्य It puzzles me why Christianity is so preoccupied with demons. And I don’t know why rakshasa is translated as demon, and who started that. Trijata and Vibhushana were certainly not evil.
Prahlada, Kumbhakarna, Marichi and 'Mahabali' who would be the 'Indra' in the next manvantara.