• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A prayer to be recited in times of calamity

arthra

Baha'i
My faith is still strong and the changes we’re experiencing I believe are part of a process that will eventually make us stronger.

There’s a prayer that be recited in times of calamity:

O my Lord! Thou knowest that the people are encircled with pain and calamities and are environed with hardships and trouble. Every trial doth attack man and every dire adversity doth assail him like unto the assault of a serpent. There is no shelter and asylum for him except under the wing of Thy protection, preservation, guard and custody.

O Thou the Merciful One! O my Lord! Make Thy protection my armor, Thy preservation my shield, humbleness before the door of Thy oneness my guard, and Thy custody and defense my fortress and my abode. Preserve me from the suggestions of self and desire, and guard me from every sickness, trial, difficulty and ordeal.

Verily, Thou art the Protector, the Guardian, the Preserver, the Sufficer, and verily, Thou art the Merciful of the Most Merciful.

‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Last edited:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Are Baha’is encouraged to pray in their own words (A), or do they have pre-formulated "prayers for everything" (B)? If option (B) is right, are there A-Z lists for prayer issues?

arthra

Baha'i
Are Baha’is encouraged to pray in their own words (A), or do they have pre-formulated "prayers for everything" (B)? If option (B) is right, are there A-Z lists for prayer issues?

Sirona... Thanks for your note. There's no restriction against an individual praying using their own words. Baha'is do often recite prayers by the Manifestation such as the Bab, Baha'u'llah and sometimes Abdul-Baha because the prayers offered are considered to have a potency:

"Since prayers written by Bahá'u'lláh, the Báb, or Abdu'l-Bahá are regarded as the words of God, and as having special spiritual power, no change can be made to the words, even to correct gender specific language.

It is quite acceptable for Bahá'ís to make up their own prayers for use in their private prayer."

BBC - Religions - Bahai: Bahá'í prayer

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Thank you for your reply! :)

It is quite acceptable for Bahá'ís to make up their own prayers for use in their private prayer."

Question 1: AFAIK, in the Bahai faith, community prayer has been abrogated except for prayer for the dead. Since IMHO there is no community prayer, what would distinguish a "non-private" prayer from private prayer?

Question 2: What about prayers that touch subjects that Baha'ullah or Abdul Baha weren't familiar with? Such as prayers about internet use?

arthra

Baha'i
Thank you for your reply! :)
Question 1: AFAIK, in the Bahai faith, community prayer has been abrogated except for prayer for the dead. Since IMHO there is no community prayer, what would distinguish a "non-private" prayer from private prayer? Question 2: What about prayers that touch subjects that Baha'ullah or Abdul Baha weren't familiar with? Such as prayers about internet use?

Srona… Thanks for posting your questions and my prayer is that you are well .

Baha'is do have devotionals and prayers in groups.
The "congregational " prayer for the deceased is where one Baha'i recites the prayer while others are standing. Baha'is also recite prayers mentally.

Baha'i Prayers as you know are online for anyone to review:

Bahá’í Prayers

"Just as our bodies require nourishment to develop properly, we need regular prayer for our spiritual sustenance and health. Prayer is food for the soul; it deepens the love of God in our hearts and draws us closer to Him.“There is nothing sweeter in the world of existence than prayer…The most blessed condition is the condition of prayer and supplication.1 To live in a state of prayer entails not only uttering sacred verses in moments of devotion; it suggests, too, that throughout the day we should turn our hearts towards God.

"Prayer in its highest form is a pure expression of loving praise for God. “The true worshipper, while praying, should endeavour not so much to ask God to fulfil his wishes and desires, but rather to adjust these and make them conform to the Divine Will. Only through such an attitude can one derive that feeling of inner peace and contentment which the power of prayer alone can confer.2 Yet it is also natural that we would often beseech and supplicate God for assistance. After such prayer, we would reflect and act upon what appears to be the best way forward and then see if our efforts are confirmed. We need to have complete trust in the mercy of God and be certain that He will grant that which is best for us...."

Prayer | What Bahá’ís Believe