• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A possible french fry shortage is looming due to poor potato crop this year

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Perhaps if you fried a mixture of white potatoes and @Subduction Zone's purple ones, then cut the purple ones to expose the inside and put vinegar on only some, you would have red, white and purply-blue fries. I cannot think, offhand of any suitable alkaline agent to help the purple turn more blue, so you might have to put up with the purple colour.

Could be fun to try I suppose, if you have access to purple spuds. Maybe @Subduction Zone could try for us and report back, with suitable photographic evidence. :D
My source of purple taters closes during the winter months. One of my last purchases there this year was 150 pounds of vegetables for about thirty bucks. One hundred of those pounds were potatoes so I am not looking to add to my stock soon. I am out of the purple potato business until April at the earliest.

exchemist

Veteran Member
My source of purple taters closes during the winter months. One of my last purchases there this year was 150 pounds of vegetables for about thirty bucks. One hundred of those pounds were potatoes so I am not looking to add to my stock soon. I am out of the purple potato business until April at the earliest.
By the way, do these purple spuds taste good? That's what counts in the end after all.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
By the way, do these purple spuds taste good? That's what counts in the end after all.
Oh yes. My one regret was that I tried them so late in that store's selling season. I have not seen them elsewhere. Though I may have found a wholesale source. But since I already bought fifty pounds of reds and fifty pounds of russets I do not think I could use fifty pounds of purple taters.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Oh yes. My one regret was that I tried them so late in that store's selling season. I have not seen them elsewhere. Though I may have found a wholesale source. But since I already bought fifty pounds of reds and fifty pounds of russets I do not think I could use fifty pounds of purple taters.

You going to be making a load of Irish stews, cottage pies etc??? Good hearty winter grub.

Leak an potato soup is easy, nice and great for getting rid of a few potatoes.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You going to be making a load of Irish stews, cottage pies etc??? Good hearty winter grub.

Leak an potato soup is easy, nice and great for getting rid of a few potatoes.
Every year when this shop closes down for the winter they sell fifty pound sacks of potatoes and onions at bargain rates. Even if I lose a few I come out way ahead. And you forgot French onion soup. It sort of ties into French fries.

Hmm, is French onion soup a real thing in France?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Every year when this shop closes down for the winter they sell fifty pound sacks of potatoes and onions at bargain rates. Even if I lose a few I come out way ahead. And you forgot French onion soup. It sort of ties into French fries.

Hmm, is French onion soup a real thing in France?

Never had it. Never seen it on a menu. Never seen french french onions for that matter ;-), lots of different types of onion but no french ones. But, i am sure it must be served somewhere in france.

Had snail soup once. Won't be happening again, i am sure those buggers were trying to climb back out.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Never had it. Never seen it on a menu. Never seen french french onions for that matter ;-), lots of different types of onion but no french ones. But, i am sure it must be served somewhere in france.

Had snail soup once. Won't be happening again, i am sure those buggers were trying to climb back out.
I know that there are all sorts of soups in France, just as there are here. It is usually a restaurant meal, but it is not that hard to make. Start with at least one large onion per person, slice it. Saute in butter, maybe a bit of olive oil, slowly and thoroughly. This is not a five minute saute. I add a bit of garlic to mine. Throw in a few herbs, salt and pepper. A bit of flour, not much, to thicken it slightly near the end. Then a bit of wine to release the fond. Beef, chicken, or a combination of the two broths. Heat to boiling. Simmer for a few minutes. Place in over save serving bowls, Leave some room at the top and put some stale bread, a bit of Gruere and Parmesan cheese, bake in a hot oven until the cheese melts and serve. Probably as "French" as French toast.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I know that there are all sorts of soups in France, just as there are here. It is usually a restaurant meal, but it is not that hard to make. Start with at least one large onion per person, slice it. Saute in butter, maybe a bit of olive oil, slowly and thoroughly. This is not a five minute saute. I add a bit of garlic to mine. Throw in a few herbs, salt and pepper. A bit of flour, not much, to thicken it slightly near the end. Then a bit of wine to release the fond. Beef, chicken, or a combination of the two broths. Heat to boiling. Simmer for a few minutes. Place in over save serving bowls, Leave some room at the top and put some stale bread, a bit of Gruere and Parmesan cheese, bake in a hot oven until the cheese melts and serve. Probably as "French" as French toast.

it sound more french than french toast. Bread in france is not made for toasting. It goes rock hard before it browns. Good for croutons if you have good teeth but not good for beans on toast.

To toast bread we have to buy a packet of american sandwich loaf.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
it sound more french than french toast. Bread in france is not made for toasting. It goes rock hard before it browns. Good for croutons if you have good teeth but not good for beans on toast.

To toast bread we have to buy a packet of american sandwich loaf.
My local supermarket bakes "French bread" on site. And your description matches what happens with it. Of course it does not come with a plastic bag, but if it does not get eaten it turns into a brick. Useful for croutons, or on top of French onion soup. By the time the cheese melts the bread is softened, but still has some body. Any other bread would turn into a soggy mess on top of a bowl of soup.

And stale bread in a bag will mold if not eaten, though with preservatives that can take some time. French bread does not mold. It gets too hard for the innocent little bacteria to chew on:D

ChristineM

Premium Member
My local supermarket bakes "French bread" on site. And your description matches what happens with it. Of course it does not come with a plastic bag, but if it does not get eaten it turns into a brick. Useful for croutons, or on top of French onion soup. By the time the cheese melts the bread is softened, but still has some body. Any other bread would turn into a soggy mess on top of a bowl of soup.

And stale bread in a bag will mold if not eaten, though with preservatives that can take some time. French bread does not mold. It gets too hard for the innocent little bacteria to chew on:D

Signs of a genuine french baguette,

For some reason the ends have always been nibbled before reaching home - a boulangerie near us does a roaring trade with baguettes and banettes with snap off ends

The crust is break your teeth crusty and the inside is light, soft and white while pain de campaign (county bread) is brown, wholemeal

It should be eaten dry, without butter/spread etc but can be used for mopping up soup* and gravy

* Don't mop your soup with your bread if there are old folk around and red wine on the table... faire chabrot will be the finishing tradition if the soup course.
I have made many friends by joining in this tradition

It is only fresh enough to eat for six hours, nine at a pinch but after six it needs something such as butter or jam to aid it through the throat.

If wont toast