• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A possible french fry shortage is looming due to poor potato crop this year

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
A french fry shortage could be coming after weak potato harvest

A shortage of french fries could be coming, Bloomberg reported Monday.

Cold weather and the impact of Hurricane Dorian have damaged potato crops in the United States and Canada. That means smaller spuds and pressure on supplies for french fry processors, according to Bloomberg. French fry makers tend to use longer potatoes.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is estimating that domestic potato output will drop 6.1% this year, its lowest level since 2010. Idaho, the nation’s top potato producer, is expected to see its harvest fall 5.5%.

The United Potato Growers of Canada forecasts that about 18% of Manitoba’s planted area was left unharvested, according to Bloomberg. The province is the country’s second-largest potato grower.

In Canada, a rise in the country’s capacity to process french fries has lifted demand for the deep-fried favorite.

Whatever will we do without french fries?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The U.S. needs to liberate Canadas supply, our freedom fries are more important than their poutine.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I thought they had been renamed freedom dries after france refused to bow down to american war mongering.

Has the (incorrect*) name snuck back or didn't it ever disappear?

* French fries (english chips) are actually a Belgian invention.

Side note, potato chips (english crisps) will also be effected. Last year in Europe potatoes grew unnaturally small and potato chips (crisps) were affected

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Side note, potato chips (english crisps) will also be effected. Last year in Europe potatoes grew unnaturally small and potato chips (crisps) were affected
Omg...where?
Yesterday I bought a bag of potatoes, 4 kilos or more...some of them big as a mango...

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I thought they had been renamed freedom dries after france refused to bow down to american war mongering.

They will be called freedom fries because we will be freeing them from the Canadians who will only pour some nasty gravy all over them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This piece of news harbingers mighty turns of Trump's trade wars, as other nations leverage their potato crops to rescue the grieving masses of Americans from their plight.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Omg...where?
Yesterday I bought a bag of potatoes, 4 kilos or more...some of them big as a mango...

A story i heard last year, perhaps this year's harvest is better.
We are still getting fairly small spuds, i guess 5 to 8cm long.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I am sure that wars will be started if this threat goes on for any significant amount of time. In the meantime, people who want fries with that will find the fries costing more than the that, and will make appropriate economic decisions, such as seeking substitutes. For others, the increased price of spuds will be only a minor inconvenience, simply costing them more, which because they're rich, will not result in any sensible economic choices.

ChristineM

Premium Member
They will be called freedom fries because we will be freeing them from the Canadians who will only pour some nasty gravy all over them.

Gravy is good, or chinese curry, salt and malt vinegar is nice but the best, and in the tradition of the inventors so it must be right is mayonnaise, it beats them all

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A story i heard last year, perhaps this year's harvest is better.
We are still getting fairly small spuds, i guess 5 to 8cm long.
And this is one of the problems with the metric system. If they were 5 to 8 in. long they would be slightly larger than average.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Gravy is good, or chinese curry, salt and malt vinegar is nice but the best, and in the tradition of the inventors so it must be right is mayonnaise, it beats them all
Fish and chips with tartar sauce (mayonnaise with a bit of pickle relish) for the fries and vinegar for the fish. A western Washington tradition.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

I agree with the ketchup and mayo, this is good too if you like your curry it's a good brand or of course make your own.

41wovj3bWCL.jpg

ChristineM

Premium Member
Fish and chips with tartar sauce (mayonnaise with a bit of pickle relish) for the fries and vinegar for the fish. A western Washington tradition.

I can see that working with the fish but by all that's sacred, keep it away from the chips

Actually it sounds good, i will try that next time i make finch and chimps (as my son likes to call them)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think "Freedom Fries" ever really caught on. A lot of people just say "fries."

I actually like onion rings better than french fries.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I agree with the ketchup and mayo, this is good too if you like your curry it's a good brand or of course make your own.

41wovj3bWCL.jpg

Ketchup works too, most fish and chip shops in the uk have mayo and ketchup bottles on the counter as well as salt and vinegar.

Many also make their own curry sauce. Often with raisins in it which i avoided like the plague. But some create a palatable sauce that closely mimics a good Chinese curry sauce.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ketchup works too, most fish and chip shops in the uk have mayo and ketchup bottles on the counter as well as salt and vinegar.

Many also make their own curry sauce. Often with raisins in it which i avoided like the plague. But some create a palatable sauce that closely mimics a good Chinese curry sauce.
i have had both Thai and Indian curries, but they do not seem to be favored in local Chinese restaurants.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Sorry but it has to be Fish, chips and peas with salt and vinegar; preferably wrapped in last Sunday's newspaper so you can read the sport/gossip whilst feasting on the balanced diet.