• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A poll regarding cannabis use.

How often do you use cannabis?

• Often.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Occasionally.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Only tried it once or twice.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Used to, but quit.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Never tried it. Never Will.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Never tried, but curious.

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

DarkSun

:eltiT
Yes, and that is true of anything and everything. That goes not only for alcohol and nicotine, but also for chocolate, sugar and pretty much anything you can think of. Hell, people are addicted to this site. None of those things should be banned, should they?

I vote we ban chocolate.

Alceste

Vagabond
Lobbying, basically. When you have a product that grows easily, is durable, and kick's wood pulp's butt at paper production, you're going to make some enemies in high places (Specifically, William Randolph Hearst). The fact that it was stereotyped as a dirty Mexican drug (by guess who?) sure helped with public perception.

So yeah, lobbying and racism mostly. It can still be grown in 9 states with the proper licensing, but that's not easy to get.

Edit: Don't let anybody try to sell you on hemp clothing though. I know it's durable as hell and can be passed down easily, but it's just not as comfortable as cotton.

I dunno - cotton is an incredibly thirsty crop, cotton clothes don't last and we're moving into an era of severe water shortages. Bamboo is pretty comfy and long-lasting though. I don't know the environmental implications of it, but I'd like to get off cotton myself.

Alceste

Vagabond
Yes, and that is true of anything and everything. That goes not only for alcohol and nicotine, but also for chocolate, sugar and pretty much anything you can think of. Hell, people are addicted to this site. None of those things should be banned, should they?

Yeh - I was gonna say, I hope nobody uses that reasoning to try to keep me away from my butterscotch ice cream. I would happily risk going to jail in order to enjoy a bowl once in a while.

KatNotKathy

Best part about living near Seattle is the easy access to high quality Canadian butterscotch. You folks in BC sure know how to make some sweet confections.:drool:

Aquitaine

I honestly don't see why we ban Weed but we legalize alcohol and ****.

And the justification is "zomg it's a DRUG!", and the other two arn't?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Heh- since I moved out to the 'burbs and got all responsible, I barely even drink any more... mainly because any time I want to go see any of my friends or family, I have to drive. I probably wouldn't take up pot even if it were legalized.

Aquitaine

Heh- since I moved out to the 'burbs and got all responsible, I barely even drink any more... mainly because any time I want to go see any of my friends or family, I have to drive. I probably wouldn't take up pot even if it were legalized.

Neither would I, I can't stand smoking so I'd never use Weed anyways. However, as I said before I simply don't understand the logic of why smokes and booze are okay but Weed isn't.

Actually though, tihnking about it, I can honestly say I'd like ciggys to be banned, atleast from Public places (which pretty much is the case nowadays anyways) 'cause it's harmfull to others and it's a pain in the arse being around someone smoking. Heck, I bet even the majority of smokers wish they weren't hooked on it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Neither would I, I can't stand smoking so I'd never use Weed anyways. However, as I said before I simply don't understand the logic of why smokes and booze are okay but Weed isn't.
Likewise.

Actually though, tihnking about it, I can honestly say I'd like ciggys to be banned, atleast from Public places (which pretty much is the case nowadays anyways) 'cause it's harmfull to others and it's a pain in the arse being around someone smoking. Heck, I bet even the majority of smokers wish they weren't hooked on it.
I was very happy when my province recently banned smoking in cars with children.

Aquitaine

Likewise.
I was very happy when my province recently banned smoking in cars with children.

I've never been much of a fan of Pubs, but hell, now that's no-one's aloud to smoke in there, it is so much better. Nice, clear air and you don't come home with sore eyes and stinking like a fire - not to mention your lungs have an easier time ;)

If the Cigarette industry wasn't so vital to our economy, I'd be perfectly happy to have those things banned outright. Stop people getting hooked and having to pay ridiculous prices just get them - and the damage easily transfers to other non-smokers.

However, with most people it's a chance to unwind, so one must find/provide alternative ways for people to unwind/relax if people's **** were just banned completely.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

I am not of the opinion that it should be banned. I would prefer alcohol banned by a long shot. I was just pointing out that a number of people do become psychologically addicted to weed and that is much worse than being addicted to chocolate, for instance (I am so addicted to chocolate! :D).

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I am not of the opinion that it should be banned. I would prefer alcohol banned by a long shot.

I'm glad you're not making the laws, then.

I was just pointing out that a number of people do become psychologically addicted to weed and that is much worse than being addicted to chocolate, for instance (I am so addicted to chocolate! :D).

You may joke about it, but some people are as addicted to chocolate or sugar as others are to drugs or alcohol. And no, being addicted to weed is no worse than being addicted to chocolate or sugar, assuming we're talking about actual addictions here, not the "I eat a lot of chocolate, and I love it".

The main point is that anything can be the focus of an addiction. We can't just ban things because people might get addicted to them or because they can be harmful to people.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm glad you're not making the laws, then.

You may joke about it, but some people are as addicted to chocolate or sugar as others are to drugs or alcohol. And no, being addicted to weed is no worse than being addicted to chocolate or sugar, assuming we're talking about actual addictions here, not the "I eat a lot of chocolate, and I love it".

The main point is that anything can be the focus of an addiction. We can't just ban things because people might get addicted to them or because they can be harmful to people.

Ok, I'll admit that even though I had two rows of chocolate with my breakfast I more love it than have an addiction. I guess you are right, except that being addicted to something like weed has serious social implications. I won't argue health, because even chocolate is bad for you in large doses. I'll stick with social implications.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I honestly don't see why we ban Weed but we legalize alcohol and ****.

I was getting ready to say...'un unnn.....oh no he didn't'....Then it occurred to me you're probably from Europe and that word can mean something totally different here in the US. Now that I understand I totally agree with you.....

Aquitaine

I was getting ready to say...'un unnn.....oh no he didn't'....Then it occurred to me you're probably from Europe and that word can mean something totally different here in the US. Now that I understand I totally agree with you.....

Yeah sorry, as I said before I should've taken more consideration into that this is an international forum.

What I meant by "****" is Hom....... LOL (just kidding) Cigarette. :p

We say it a lot in the UK, like with "booze" for Alcohol and "weed" for Marijuana etc.

:)

Last edited: