• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A poll for creationists

If enough evidence were presented to you in favor of evolution, would you change your mind about it?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh good. We needed another one of these.

Gee... I wonder how this one's gonna turn out...

*yawns*

Wake me when it's over.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
It's only "hotly debated" in the U.S. (unless you wish to include undeveloped, 3rd world countries), and that's only due to willful ignorance and intellectual dishonesty.

I know... my wife is a Venezuelan... I will let her know that mr intelligent Heathen says how ignorant she is.

Of course, everyone else is intellectually dishonest... so says mr arrogant. :D

But, hey, its a free country.

Misunderstood

I voted yes, as I do believe in aspects of evolution. But, would you believe in God if presented with enough evidence?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I know... my wife is a Venezuelan... I will let her know that mr intelligent Heathen says how ignorant she is.

Of course, everyone else is intellectually dishonest... so says mr arrogant. :D

But, hey, its a free country.

No, not everyone else. Just those who reject logic and evidence only because it conflicts with what some random group of primitive goat herders wrote many millennia ago. It is ignorant and dishonest.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Theists often make them incompatible, atheists would, by and large, ignore such foolishness were it not shoved in their face.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I voted yes, as I do believe in aspects of evolution. But, would you believe in God if presented with enough evidence?

First problem there is no objective verifiable evidence for God's existence. This is the bottom line for the nonbeliever.

The next problem becomes which God?

The science of evolution cannot be partially into neat packages to believe part and not others. I realize that some Jewish, Christian and Islamic believers conditionally believe in certain aspects of evolution. One common belief is that the animal and plant kingdoms evolved, but not humans. Another is evolution occurred, but 'Intelligent Designed.'

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The problem with there being enough evidence to convince fundamentalist Creationists to believe in the science of evolution as a science is too fold.

(1) Fundamentalist Creationism has a hierarchy. At the top are a few scientists [ie Discovery Institute] and well educated theologians. These are the authorities of Creationism. I believe the higher authorities know the evidence for evolution is adequate. The lower levels of the hierarchy are the believers that in general believe in a literal scripture and look to the higher hierarchy for support. In general they have less education and rarely investigate evolution independently. In discussions and debates I hear the same standard cookie cutter arguments for all.

(2) The second issue is the emotional investment in the religious belief established by the predominance of the Church Fathers and/or the authors of the New Testament. In fallible human nature this can supersede any consideration of the objective evidence for the science of evolution, and by the way the science of the history of our earth and the cosmos.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
No, not everyone else. Just those who reject logic and evidence only because it conflicts with what some random group of primitive goat herders wrote many millennia ago. It is ignorant and dishonest.
Yes... if they reject knowledge is ignorant. There are sheep followers in both arenas who never think.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes... if they reject knowledge is ignorant. There are sheep followers in both arenas who never think.

This is only true to the extent of the fallible nature of humans, but . . .

Science encourages critical skepticism, and challenging existing science and unknowns is the adrenalin for the advancement and change in science. It is questionable that most religions encourage this level of skepticism.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
To vague of a question. Of course opinions might be altered. But do you mean hypothetically? I don't believe such evidence exists that would get me seeing eye to eye with Richard Dawkins if that's what you mean
Could you amplify to what you believe and not believe concerning evolution and why, and how you view Dawkins.

Misunderstood

First problem there is no objective verifiable evidence for God's existence. This is the bottom line for the nonbeliever.
I don't totally agree with that statement, as I feel there is if you look for it. Also, I feel the same argument can be made for the beginnings of evolution. We are here so it just happened, no working ideas of how it even happened, just that we are here so it had to happen. Why couldn't it have been through God or ID?

The next problem becomes which God?
That is a good question, but I don't think that is part of the OP. So I will let you decide.

The science of evolution cannot be partially into neat packages to believe part and not others. I realize that some Jewish, Christian and Islamic believers conditionally believe in certain aspects of evolution. One common belief is that the animal and plant kingdoms evolved, but not humans. Another is evolution occurred, but 'Intelligent Designed.'
So you believe everything that is written about evolution and do not question any part of it? I think scientists question everything as they learn more, but from what you say neither you or I can question anything?