1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured A person's faith should be of practical benefit to others

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by JJ50, Jan 11, 2019.

1. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,121
    Religion:
    Love
    Um, that's conflating factual knowledge with living one's beliefs.

Money is only a very very tiny thing here. Deeds are not big things. They can be very apparently tiny things like saying "thank you" to people when they've done something pleasant or helpful for you.

If someone is earnest about one's beliefs, people can find endless opportunities to try to live one's ideals.

Saint Francis of Assisi. While his life and deeds were of his time and place, the essence of the life he lived still inspires people today.

2. stvdv

stvdv Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,944
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Very true. I remember my Master saying, that if a person lives just for 1 sec his full potential, his life is successfull. Deeds indeed seem rather relative.
    I was glad to hear this. Of course 1 sec full potential is not easy, but at least there won't be a God judging you for all the other seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +505
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    Are you advocating deeds and not words in what you "spoke" (wrote)? Didn't you just prove that words must be accompanied by deeds to resonate further?

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +482
    Religion:
    Judaism
    It's called, where is my belief when the rubber meets the road? Is there action or is it all just words? Every major religious teacher has taught the Golden Rule. If your faith doesn't pan out, then it is impotent. Fix it.

5. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +482
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Evolution is a scientific theory, not a religion. Science is neat, but it does nothing for a person's morals or ethics, so you can't hold science as your religion.

6. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,813
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    “Let deeds, not words be your adorning” is a teaching of my faith. However it’s a personal matter between the individual and God. I’m involved in charity work and donate money for that purpose. It’s excellent the Christians in my town are promoters of charity but they are not the only faith in town leading the way.

7. A Vestigial Mote

A Vestigial Mote Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Religion:
    ?
    Based on the relevance of pure "faith", and given no outward sign of that faith making one a better person, while I wouldn't say there is necessarily "moral obligation"... I would say there is an intellectual obligation, certainly. In other words - if it isn't doing anybody any good, making crap up and pawning it off as reality is intellectually bankrupt and, honestly, detrimental to anyone else who might buy-in to said crap. Even if you sincerely believe you are telling the truth, if you have no good evidence, no way to demonstrate the truth of your claims, no way to share any experiences or "truths" with anyone else without simply getting them to also start spouting unprovable, anecdotal shenanigans, then you are being intellectually irresponsible.

8. dianaiad

dianaiad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +476
    Religion:
    Mormon
    Actually...belief is belief or opinion. Faith is belief plus those deeds or behavior. Faith is...when you behave as if what you believe to be true is true. Faith is trust in those beliefs.

The Bible says that 'faith without works is dead faith, being alone,' and something about even the devils believe, and tremble. The thing that makes 'faith,' 'faith..." is what one does about it.

Without those 'works,' or deeds, 'faith' is nothing more than a passing opinion that might be true. Or might not,,,but not worth testing out, either way.