• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A personal relationship with God

Humanistheart

This is primarily directed to christians and the generally held belief that one can have a personal relationship with christ, however if you feel this applies to your god as well by all means express it. My question is do you expect to have a personal relationship with god? Why or why not? If yes, than what, if any, biblical passages promote this belief for you (or any other holy book applicable to your religion)? Also, how do you define personal relationship, and if you feel you have one with your diety of choice how do you know this?

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I'm not Christian (exclusively), but if you don't mind...

I believed in God vehemently before I went to college. In college, I was exposed to academic philosophy for the first time by a professor who was very much atheist and enjoyed debating the topic.

Being not entirely skilled in philosophy at the time, I fell into a deep existential malaise, feeling for the first time that I was thrown into an indifferent universe.

Over time, though, I realized that my schooling in philosophy left me with the tools to rebuild my spirituality in a way that didn't need a God. And also over time, I realized I could still build a personal relationship with God even if logically It couldn't exist.

I realized that a personal relationship with God meant a personal relationship to your reality; recognizing that the universe is not so indifferent when you recognize your own role in its creation and existence.

Hope this works with the OP. :)

blackout

Violet.
I have a personal "relationship" with everything in my life.

And every'thing in my life is gOd manifest.

Humanistheart

I'm not Christian (exclusively), but if you don't mind...

I believed in God vehemently before I went to college. In college, I was exposed to academic philosophy for the first time by a professor who was very much atheist and enjoyed debating the topic.

Being not entirely skilled in philosophy at the time, I fell into a deep existential malaise, feeling for the first time that I was thrown into an indifferent universe.

Over time, though, I realized that my schooling in philosophy left me with the tools to rebuild my spirituality in a way that didn't need a God. And also over time, I realized I could still build a personal relationship with God even if logically It couldn't exist.

I realized that a personal relationship with God meant a personal relationship to your reality; recognizing that the universe is not so indifferent when you recognize your own role in its creation and existence.

Hope this works with the OP. :)

It does, and it's an intriguing example. Thank's :)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
My question is do you expect to have a personal relationship with god?
Certainly, and I do...

If yes, than what, if any, biblical passages promote this belief for you (or any other holy book applicable to your religion)?
Not that I believe that something about my beliefs must be in the Bible... but...

Jesus is our friend: John 15:13-14; friendship is a personal relationship... Jesus loves us(do I really need to quote a bible verse here?), Jesus is in us, and we are in Him John 14:20...

Also, how do you define personal relationship, and if you feel you have one with your diety of choice how do you know this?
A connection between two individuals... I know I have one because of of the experiences with God I have had... I feel His presence when I talk to Him, He lifts me when I am down, gives me strength when I feel weak...

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
This is primarily directed to christians and the generally held belief that one can have a personal relationship with christ, however if you feel this applies to your god as well by all means express it. My question is do you expect to have a personal relationship with god? Why or why not? If yes, than what, if any, biblical passages promote this belief for you (or any other holy book applicable to your religion)? Also, how do you define personal relationship, and if you feel you have one with your diety of choice how do you know this?
I tried having a personal relationship with God.
I left message after message...But alas, I never received an answer...:(

Humanistheart

I tried having a personal relationship with God.
I left message after message...But alas, I never received an answer...:(

That was my experience too. Maybe he accidently deleted all his messages a few times... or his answering machine was full for a few decades before he cleared it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm not going to quote any scripture or anything like that. I'll just try to explain briefly what having a personal relationship with God means to me. To me, it's realizing that when I am praying to Him, He is listening to me. Since He is God, I can't really tell Him what I need. I can't even really tell Him what I want. He already knows what I need and want, so what am I really accomplishinging when I pray to Him? I am trying to strengthen my relationship with Him. I am acknowledging that He is my Father in Heaven and is aware of me at all times, wherever I may be and whatever I may be doing. I am thanking Him for everything He has given me, which I believe is bound to strengthen my relationship with Him. I know that when I do something for one of my children, I appreciate knowing that they feel gratitude for what I've done. When they take the time to thank me, I feel a special closeness to them. I imagine that God feels that closeness to me when I express my thanks to Him. When I ask Him for blessings of any kind, I believe it pleases Him to know that I recognize Him as the giver of all good gifts. Again, He may not give me everything I want, but I know He'll give me everything I need. And in saying to Him, "Thy will be done," I am showing Him that I trust Him to do what's best for me. A relationship of love and gratitude and trust is what I seek and I find that prayer, more than anything else, builds this relationship.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe the catch phrase "personal relationship with God" is overused, so it's become a bit cliche. I don't categorize my connection with God with that phrase. My faith is not based strictly on feelings - in fact, faith is what is left when you FEEL like God doesn't love you, doesn't care about your life, etc.

As a Christian (I have been a Christian for as long as I can remember - though I've had long periods of doubt and angst about it), I have had months, even years, when I felt incredibly close to God - when I could see His hand in everything in my life, when I felt His love envelope me each morning. I've also had times in my life when He was nowhere to be found - when I cried out to Him, screamed out to Him, and heard nothing back in return.

However, in retrospect - and to use another cliche - I see that it wasn't God that moved away from me, it was me who moved away from God.

I do believe firmly that God cares about me and shows His love to me in many ways, big and small. "Be still and know that I am God," is one of my favorite verses. That's usually what it takes for me to connect with Him - but then sometimes He sends something my way that is so funny, or such a perfect juxtaposition of events, that I know His hand is in it, and that He is there with me, laughing beside me, or holding me close.

I believe that God yearns for our love in return and rejoices when we give it back to Him.

If that's the definition of a personal relationship - then that's what we share.

geofra

Slow, but I get there.
Just about every morning when I am walking, I talk to God about things; ordinary things that are happening in my life. I don't get an answer, but I get things off my chest. No worship involved, no ritual prayers, I begin with a "you got a nice sky goin' on this morning" and end with a "talk to you later."

Then again, I'm a fool walking around talking to himself.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

I, personally, have given up any hope for a personal relationship with God. Judaism teaches that it is possible. However, after having deluded myself as a Christian into thinking that God spoke to me. I will never again believe that any sort of voice (whether internal or external) is the voice of God.

That being said, I believe that we can get close to God by being like God. We may not be able to communicate in a normal fashion, but I feel that I can do things for Him and He can do things for me. I try to emulate Him by being kind, loving, compassionate, just, etc. In return, He blesses me with life each day, with beauty, with wonderful moments of happiness, and with suffering to overcome.

Humanistheart

I, personally, have given up any hope for a personal relationship with God. Judaism teaches that it is possible. However, after having deluded myself as a Christian into thinking that God spoke to me. I will never again believe that any sort of voice (whether internal or external) is the voice of God..

Yes, that is my assesment as well. When christians say god speaks to them they're just feeling their own thought's and emotions and attributing it to their god.

That being said, I believe that we can get close to God by being like God. We may not be able to communicate in a normal fashion, but I feel that I can do things for Him and He can do things for me. I try to emulate Him by being kind, loving, compassionate, just, etc. In return, He blesses me with life each day, with beauty, with wonderful moments of happiness, and with suffering to overcome.

God also killed millions and tortued people like job and jonah. If you were to be 'like god' and emulate him wouldn't you need to bring harm to others as well?

At any rate, good post.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
God also killed millions and tortued people like job and jonah. If you were to be 'like god' and emulate him wouldn't you need to bring harm to others as well?

At any rate, good post.

God is the source of all Life and therefore only He has the right to determine where Life flows and who are its recipients. We can only try our best to become as close to Him as possible. However, we must remember that we are not Him and therefore are not in any position to determine who lives or dies, who possess what or who doesn't, etc etc. We can only do our best to emulate Him in the ways that we can and constantly try to improve ourselves.