• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new, young seeker

Ravenheart

Seeker
Hello everyone,

I am a 16 year old "seeker" from Greece, looking for advise on religious matters. I grew, and still growing in a Christian Orthodox family, as the majority of Greek people.

The first time I encountered another form of religion was 2 years ago... that being spiritual satanism, and I was fascinated by the evil side of the whole story (as most rebellious teens of my age would... obviously I was 14 at the time). Then I started exploring other forms of satanism such as the LaVeyan version, which after a couple of months I saw that it was too much for me. A couple of months later I dropped Satanism, as I realized that it was just a reaction to Christianity, which I considered untrue... it just wouldn't work for me, as I never felt Jesus would be there for me. So I had spent 1 year trying to figure out which of these two would be best for me (satanism or christianity).

Later on, after I came across some information considering the Wiccan path, which I didn't like either, I stumbled upon a paganism site, talking about all the pagan paths there are! Asatru, Sorcery, Wicca, Druidry, Kemeticism, Hellenic Recon, Celtic Recon etc.
I always felt close to nature in some weird way, so I found these to be the ideal way of life for me. And even though im Greek, I was feeling a strong connection to Norse paganism, the Asatru path that is...but still, after all this research i've done on the matter, i can't feel a true bond between me and the Norse gods. Now here I am, at the 16th year of my life, searching for a pagan path :)help:).

In addition: 1 question:
1. I also feel a strong connection to Chaos Magic (for many reasons which I'm not going to explain now), and I was wandering if I can combine chaos magic with the pagan path I'll choose

P.S. I hope my english wasn't that bad, and my story is comprehensible

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Welcome to RF!

Your English is great, no worries there. :)

Do you feel a bond between say, the Hellenic or Roman gods?
You can combine chaos magic with any Pagan path you choose if that is what you wish. I doubt many Pagans will mind. :)

Ravenheart

Seeker
I find the Hellenic gods to be too "human - like" if you will :)
Reading about Greek mythology you will see that the Greek gods act completely as humans, thus leading me to believe that I'm equal to them! I seek a more powerful being than me, something that I can rely on, respect and show my respect to it. Although now that you mentioned, I'm going to search more about Hellenic Recon :)

I am also really fascinated by the Norse gods, even though (as mentioned) I feel no special connection to them... its a tough situation to be in I suppose...

Thanks for the advice!

*EDIT* I have found myself talking to the ancient greek gods when really afraid... ex. We where on an airplane and the wind was blowing REALLY strong, and I started praying to Aeolus, greek god of wind to stop this... I know it sounds ridiculous but it came to me spontaneously! I mean, I didn't speak to Jesus or something...I addressed an eminently pagan god... Aeolus that is.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I find the Hellenic gods to be too "human - like" if you will :)
I can understand where you are coming from; but have you considered that the stories are just metaphors to explain certain factors, and they are actually above these human-like qualities?

Have you checked out other religions beyond say, Paganism, Christianity and Satanism, or are you specifically after a European Pagan form? For example, Native American religions, or Indian, or Tibetan, or something else? Just curious. :)

*EDIT* I have found myself talking to the ancient greek gods when really afraid... ex. We where on an airplane and the wind was blowing REALLY strong, and I started praying to Aeolus, greek god of wind to stop this... I know it sounds ridiculous but it came to me spontaneously! I mean, I didn't speak to Jesus or something...I addressed an eminently pagan god... Aeolus that is.
Heh, that's awesome! How did you feel when you realized what you had done? How long ago was this, if you don't mind me asking?

Ravenheart

Seeker
I think I am strictly after a European pagan path, as the rest just don't attract me. I find that their philosophies can never be suited easily to the present world, and require much to be done before someone could be initiated to their practices, if you know what I mean...

Now, as for the prayer, I was 13 years old, just before my interest on other religions was shown... after I realized that I was praying to a god who was out of my actual "belief circle" (at the time), I started thinking of what would happen if that actually worked... and it was kind of working (after 15 minutes or so, but there is a chance that it would be a coincidence :))

After I realized my success, I rejected the fact that I may have done something stupid, and i actually felt proud of using an ancestor's way to address a supreme power... some months later I started my research on foreign (to me) religions :)

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think I am strictly after a European pagan path, as the rest just don't attract me.

I'd suggest you check out Hellenic Recon a bit more, then. Hellenic and Roman in particular. Consider looking at the Germanic forms of Paganism as well well. They may be worth looking at.

Additionally, don't forget to check out Celtic and even Slavic beliefs as well, too.

I think you will have most success with Hellenic and/or Roman (your ancestral and one close to your own), and then Germanic (Ásatrú in particular) as there is the most on that one.

There are the DIRs on these things though, so feel free to look around.
European religions DIR - Religious Education Forum

European religions DIR, feel free to ask any questions in there. However, they're not the most active sections sadly.

Hope this helps!

AishaRayann

Islam <3r
I was curious. Besides your lack of liking Christianity what has drawn you toward Paganism?
Was there a certain experience? A feeling? Something that ignited a passion in you? If so please do tell.

Ravenheart

Seeker
Yes, there were 2 things that are directing me towards Paganism. A deep respect for my ancenstors, an unending love for nature and the unquenchable feeling of hate for the destroyers of this world. These being the people that would do anything for money, like building nuclear weapons and industries. Another factor that is directing me to paganism is that I admire folk myths and tales, as they teach human kind values forgoten as the year pass. I would honestly rather live 40 years at these old times than live 120 years to see today's horrors advance!

Ravenheart

Seeker
So, after this discussion I've been thinking. I have cleared my thoughts and came to a conclusion. Here is what I believe:

- God(s) is/are a supernatural power pulling the strings of life
- I believe in reincarnation until ultimate wisdom is achieved
- Every natural "creation" is sacred, every stone, tree, or animal has its own soul and possesses different knowledge
- The human should act following the characteristics with which he was created (be defensive, accomplish any carnal desires and be not better than a simple animal, only smarter and more ferocious)
- Be violent ONLY when needed. What I mean is, violence should not be restricted always
- As another member said: "I tend to believe that wisdom, liberation and enlightenment are important."
- I also believe that it is most important for the human to co-work with nature and fully respect it as nature itself is the deity, this force that created everything, including us.

Looking forward to listen your opinions and experiences,
Pete

LuciaStar

Constant Seeker
Keep in mind you don't have to be just one type of Pagan. You can be an eclectic Pagan. That's what I was for the longest time. It's basically incorporating all kinds of beliefs in your own belief system.