• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New Tattoo?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I have extra bucks to spend, and I thought about getting another tattoo.

A lot of times lately have I reminded myself "This too shall pass" to get me through stressful times. Not sad or anything, I think it's safe to say I'm no longer depressed, but there has been a lot of times lately where something doesn't work out, usually at work, and I am fed up and dreading the rest of the day. But that quote has been to me like a floater is to a person who can't swim.

It's a neat quote, I always can find inspiration from it. Any troubling time in the future, it'd be good to remind myself that it will pass.

But I've seen two examples of this as a tattoo: Regular lettering, which seems sort of dull to me. And cursive, which I personally find to be more feminine design-wise.

Do you have any ideas of what I could do for this? I think I may put it on my other forearm, not sure yet. I'm open to any ideas. Only restrictions include: No coloring, and something that doesn't seem expensive.

What I have in mind is probably something alongside it, a picture along with text. I'm open to other ideas that do not include a picture though.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are all kinds of lettering styles. If you have Word, check the fonts. I used bold block letters for one of my tats to reflect the Spartans' attitudes... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Sum of Awe

There are all kinds of lettering styles. If you have Word, check the fonts. I used bold block letters for one of my tats to reflect the Spartans' attitudes... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That is not a bad idea actually. I do not have Word, though, as I use Linux. LibreOffice works just as well though! Thanks for the idea

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I actually have a tattoo to remind me of impermanence (try explaining that to most people and they will laugh about a "permanent" tattoo being a reminder of impermanence :rolleyes:)

Mine is totally symbolic and doesn't have any words on it. Im personally not a fan of having English words tattooed because modern English just doesn't look very artistic, but that's entirely my personal opinion. I find images to be powerful. I think of it as similar to a sigil, in that you end up attributing certain feelings and thoughts, verbal or non-verbal, to the image, which are eventually evoked simply by looking at the image. I think that an image is much more versatile and you can even end up applying different meaning to it as life goes on and you change. Those are my thoughts.

The picture I ended up basing my tattoo off of is in this thread: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/dharmic-religions-dir/138815-looking-tattoo-idea.html

Perhaps look for something or some symbol that reminds you that things always pass? Also, on the off chance that you choose a skull tattoo, be warned that people will probably judge you for it :D

The Sum of Awe

I don't know why, but finding something to represent impermanence is more difficult than it seemed

The Sum of Awe

I have an idea, what do you think: A pocket watch sitting to the side of it, some of the letters overlap it

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I think making on the fly decisions about tats is a horrible idea.

The Sum of Awe

I think making on the fly decisions about tats is a horrible idea.

This isn't on the fly really. Mostly just dreaming it right now, it'll be a while until I can afford another one, and have this quote in mind for the obsessive reminding myself of it. It is actually one of the most inspirational quotes I've ever had once I started using it more often. I just can't decide what to put with it

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I have an idea, what do you think: A pocket watch sitting to the side of it, some of the letters overlap it

Not a bad idea. I think script style is completely up to you, I wouldn't worry about cursive looking feminine, I never think that, never even occurred to me.

Wasn't aware you already had a tat.