• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new religion?

socharlie

Okay, but later translations have been demonstrated to be more accurate based on more sources,
yes, generally, I use NAS and several others, I found Bullinger work very intuitive, only draw back is it is time consuming. I found myself constantly verifying translations using Strongs's which a very good idea.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Everyone supposed to have one's own religion, This is ideal - Living spirit, living one's own dream. This is old Gnostic way.
But do they have a community?
One that's broadly inclusive and supportive of almost anybody and everybody? I don't know if they do or not. Around here they don't.

That's one of the things that's hard to explain about my connection to the local Catholic parish. I don't care much about what the Pope says or the pedophilia scandal compared to the actual members and what we do together. That's the real church.
Tom

socharlie

One that's broadly inclusive and supportive of almost anybody and everybody? I don't know if they do or not. Around here they don't.

That's one of the things that's hard to explain about my connection to the local Catholic parish. I don't care much about what the Pope says or the pedophilia scandal compared to the actual members and what we do together. That's the real church.
Tom
they do have community, not everywhere, vast internet community. e.g. Ecclesia Gnostica, Los Angeles, California USA
Paul's Church was Gnostic, Paul was proto-Valentinian Gnostic himself.
I think that Gnostic types of churches will grow and traditional - main stream - decline.
Also I love Swedenborgians.

dfnj

The above is placed here for discussion. Not debate. I’ve heard the bible verses used for prooftexting, to support certain misguided beliefs. The same beliefs used to alienate and persecute so many of our fellow humans. Have a nice day. And may God bless one and all.

Too bad you are not interested in debate. One person's misguided beliefs is another person's cherished truths. One man's religion is another man's cult.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
After considerable study, I recently came to some conclusions which differ from what is being taught in many Christian churches, as far as I can tell. (I have been to Catholic, LDS, seventh day adventist, congregational, 2 different baptist, assembly of God, another unaffiliated pentacostal, and two nondenominational, so I have some church experiences)

I have concluded that most (possibly all?) churches are actual stumbling blocks for humanity to have a relationship with God.

Even though a few people inside the churches are able to reach a true relationship with God, the majority (the “many” in the words of the Lord) cannot, because of the stumbling blocks ....

I wrote this a few years back.

To define Spirituality I think we have to understand the difference between Spirituality and Religion on a personal level.

SPIRITUALITY – An - INDIVIDUAL’S - understanding that there is something greater then self.

RELIGION – Groups of individuals with like realization getting together and writing down their experience with Deity, and – formulating RULES to belong to the group.

The problem "generally" is when we reach the religion level and form a group. Group THUG mentality “often” takes over and the religion-thugs try to force THEIR understanding of Deity onto everyone else!

SPIRITUALITY is like a river flowing from the SOURCE.

RELIGIONS are like dams on the river. They impede its pure flow with their set ideas (dogma) about what the SOURCE is.

Eventually the dams will break. - ALWAYS -. This is the case throughout history.

The SOURCE is meant to flow to each individually.

Religion can have, and needs, Spirituality, but Spiritual people do not need religion.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I wrote this a few years back.

To define Spirituality I think we have to understand the difference between Spirituality and Religion on a personal level.

SPIRITUALITY – An - INDIVIDUAL’S - understanding that there is something greater then self.

RELIGION – Groups of individuals with like realization getting together and writing down their experience with Deity, and – formulating RULES to belong to the group.

The problem "generally" is when we reach the religion level and form a group. Group THUG mentality “often” takes over and the religion-thugs try to force THEIR understanding of Deity onto everyone else!

SPIRITUALITY is like a river flowing from the SOURCE.

RELIGIONS are like dams on the river. They impede its pure flow with their set ideas (dogma) about what the SOURCE is.

Eventually the dams will break. - ALWAYS -. This is the case throughout history.

The SOURCE is meant to flow to each individually.

Religion can have, and needs, Spirituality, but Spiritual people do not need religion.

As usual I do not agree with your negative generalization concerning what is 'religion.' As usual you are putting it in a box and throwing stones at it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The stumbling blocks are church doctrine.

1. A trinity. A complex senseless formula to obfuscate what needs no explanation. God is God, period. God is not a person, He is God. The Lord is not a person. He is God and He is the Word. The Holy Spirit is not a person. It is God. The bible is not a holy book. It’s a book. It represents the Word. And the Word is God. That’s why the bible is a book. Because it is NOT God. The Word needs to be written on our hearts, then we know God.
  2. The Lords death on a cross as a substitutionary sacrifice. They like to use the word propitiation. (It sounds authoritative, like trinity). God is not appeased through sacrifice. This should be obvious from the OT. If sacrifice appeased God, they would not have needed to do it over and over again. The Lord’s death was the end of His earthly body and the beginning of His glorified one. The Lord’s death is not a sacrifice. He didn’t die for our sins. If so, His righteousness is imputed to us. Not so.
  3. Together with the above, many churches teach that one needs only to believe it is so, to have salvation. So, the belief in number 2 combined with number 3, is the secret formula for gaining salvation. This is a deception which causes many to stumble and actually never receive the salvation they are misled into thinking they have. The Lord made it perfectly clear when he walked the earth, what the true requirements are.
  4. Justification by faith alone, through no works of our own. Another misleading concept, to assist the “many” in not finding the narrow path spoken of by the Lord. Seek to understand the entire Word, not just a few verses out of the bible, and one can readily see that there is something that must be DONE by us. And this is not performing church rituals. Not working at the food bank. Not ministering to prisoners. These are the works spoken of. No. What must we DO? The Lord said over and over, to repent and sin no more. Repentance is the first step, and continually practicing true heartfelt repentance for the rest of one’s life is what the Lord commands. So, yes, something must be done. Just a belief doesn’t cut it. And how do others know that you have a true relationship with the Lord? By your fruit. Which will be good, if you repent and sin no more. Without repentance the fruit is not good. (Even though the world may perceive some of it to be good)

This was quite weird... especially by then giving a history of what some woman did.

but your response is quite normal... start a new religion based on what you want. :D

Jeremiah Ames

Tom
This was quite weird... especially by then giving a history of what some woman did.

but your response is quite normal... start a new religion based on what you want. :D

At least your response shows you did not read the op.
If you did, and if you understood what I was saying, you would realize that last thing I need is a religion.

Akivah

I’ve designed a new religion. :D (Not really. These beliefs did not originate with me.)

Here is the doctrine:

God. There is one God, and he is God. God is perfect love, perfect mercy, perfect goodness, and perfect justice. His perfection requires no imperfect sacrifices. His justice requires no punishment. Oh, and God is not santa claus.

The Word. The Word is God. It’s not a book. Although, we can use a book (the bible and others too). We can use reason and intelligence. We can use science. These things are not our enemies. These things are all gifts of God. Given to us to use. Let us work together to get to know the Word more intimately.

The Word gives us perfect insight into how to have a peaceful, productive life on earth. It’s not complicated. We are told to love God with all our hearts. And also, to love our fellow human beings.
The fellow human being part is all inclusive. No one is left out. No matter what they have done, what they believe, or how different they are.

In order to accomplish the above, we must actively repent when we have wronged another person. This repentance must be CONTINUALLY practiced, and it must be from the heart. God, being omnipotent, will not be deceived. After repentance, we must do our best to sin no more.

We must not worry about our future. Not on this earth or afterward. God will provide for our needs on earth. We are His children, and He loves us greatly. God will take care of us through eternity as well. How that transpires will be effected by our actions in this life, relative to His commands of love for Him and love for all people.

There is a hell. But it is not an eternal punishment. Since God is love and justice, punishment has no place in His realm, and a being composed of perfect love could not produce a hell.
Hell, is that which we create for ourselves in this life when we do not follow His simple commandments.

The above is placed here for discussion. Not debate. I’ve heard the bible verses used for prooftexting, to support certain misguided beliefs. The same beliefs used to alienate and persecute so many of our fellow humans. Have a nice day. And may God bless one and all.

Good luck with your new religion. I agree with Rival that it looks like you've moved to Noahide status. I pray that you find meaning, accomplishment, and fulfillment with your beliefs.

InChrist

Free4ever
I don't think another religion or religion at all is needed since I believe God has already given His word and the Word, Jesus, became flesh and dwelt among us, died and rose again to save sinners. I do agree that one should practice repentance when another person is wronged.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
At least your response shows you did not read the op.
If you did, and if you understood what I was saying, you would realize that last thing I need is a religion.

Oh... but you did.

The stumbling blocks are church doctrine.

This is basically the same statment that started the Jehovah's Witness, LDS and Islam

(Not really. These beliefs did not originate with me.)

This is the same statement that came after the first statement in the same...

You are starting a new denomination :D

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They’ve been misled, by false doctrines.
What many call "false doctrines" is entirely 100% absolutely subjective, and the reason is really quite simple, namely that virtually any religious belief is "unfalsifiable". IOW, it is virtually impossible to prove a specific dogma as being wrong. One may believe it's wrong, but religious beliefs are not objectively derived.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
As usual I do not agree with your negative generalization concerning what is 'religion.' As usual you are putting it in a box and throwing stones at it.

You are going to try and say this isn't usually true?
Ingledsva said:

As per the Baha'i thread - Even the Baha'i have murder in their past. The majority of the religions of Abraham obviously also do. In fact the majority of the better known religions have committed atrocities to further their ideas.