• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A new one for me

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Musical Ear Syndrome: Causes and Treatments

My next-door neighbour popped around the other day complaining about the noise (music I would call it) emanating from my house (semi-detached), but where I just happened to be watching TV (at normal volume) at the time (rather than listening to music) and where she has never complained before regardless of any sound level I might have used - and never excessive actually over several decades. So I gathered that she might have the sounds in her head, like tinnitus (which I have to some extent), and as to the link above. I thought that she might have wasps in the attic, but apparently she is using a hearing aid and she remarked on the fact that perhaps she had been watching/listening to the Queen's death coverage on TV too much. I can probably discount the wasps, given they aren't generally compared with the Royal Symphony Orchestra, so perhaps she has MES.

Anyone have anything to contribute?

I should add that we probably hate each other, given we rarely interact, and her home is the 'beauty' to my 'beast'. :oops:

Last edited:

Jedster

@Mock Turtle

I have both hyperacusis & tinnitus which results in me often hearing sounds greatly exaggerated or even sounds that are not there. It took me a while to realise the hyperacusis, which could be your neighbour's problem.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Seems I might be in for some grief - given she came around again complaining about music being on all night. Not sure how I would get any sleep if this was the case, given that the TV and music supply is in my bedroom - and not adjacent to her property. The only sounds possibly occurring are the radio - not loud either - and where, it being Radio 4, is usually the spoken word rather than any music.

Convincing Elderly People That They Are Hearing Phantom Sounds Can be Most Difficult!

Some other possible issues:

Recruitment (medicine) - Wikipedia
Otoacoustic emission - Wikipedia
Why You May Be Hearing Phantom Sounds - TMSOFT