1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New Family

Discussion in 'Member Announcements' started by Evangelicalhumanist, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...

Ratings:
    +3,642
    Religion:
    None, a humanist who doesn't even worship humans
    Tomorrow, I am going to a barbecue, scheduled to last two days (well, one day really, but spread over the weekend from noon Saturday to noon Sunday.)

This barbecue is for "family and friends" of people I've never met, most of them "my family." I grew up in the Children's Aid, was never adopted, never knew anything about my birth parents. But last year, on my 70th birthday, my partner gave me the Ancestry DNA kit, and after dutifully spitting into the little jar and sending it off to Ireland, 3 weeks later I got a notification from someone who said, "Hi, I'm your niece."

Well, turns out that after I was born, my father had 8 other children (by another mother), who are all my half brothers and sisters. I've met just one of those sisters so far (and 2 of her daughters), but tomorrow, I'm about to meet some 40 or more other people who are my brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, and even great nieces and nephews.

And I'm terrified...feel like running away to the circus right now.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. BSM1

BSM1 Who's a good boy?

Ratings:
    +7,452
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian

Go, man! Just be yourself; you'll have a blast.

3. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,067
    Religion:
    Agnostic

Hang in there, and enjoy your once in a lifetime experience for what it is. You're lucky to have such an open and welcoming family. Embrace them. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Neutral Name

Neutral Name Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    No, don't fear. I have met my ex-husband's children from his former marriage. It is wonderful because they are my childrens' half sisters and brother. Of course, I have met other relatives in the past, his and mine who I had not met because they live thousands of miles away. It's a wonderful thing to meet long lost relatives. They will all be very happy to meet you.

5. Enoch07

Enoch07 It's all a sick freaking joke.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,521
    Religion:
    Theistic Rationalist-Christian
    Well your story saddens me, but at the same time when I reflect back on my childhood I wonder which of us was the lucky one. To be abandoned and not know your family til late in life. Or to be a victim of all your families evils and then abandoned as in my case.

The optimist in my says "Yay! A chance at a new beginning!". The pessimist says "Yay! All new people to disappoint and hurt me!"

Ultimately it's up to you. Regardless of what you do, I hope you find some semblance of peace and happiness in it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,807
    Awesome!!! Once you get to know them you can be like most of us. OMG THEY ARE CRAZY.
    Thats family!!!!

7. Terry Sampson

Terry Sampson ζει

Ratings:
    +527
    Having the advantage of not standing in your shoes, I'm excited for you. I am a passionate, non-professional genetic genealogy addict. I've had the enormous pleasure and privilege of aiding/guiding orphans and biological children of one or the other known parent in identifying unknown biological parents. In some instances, encounters and exchanges with newly found close kin can answer questions previously deemed mysteries. And once answered, all parties move on with their lives, together or not, as the case may be.

Personally, I hope you overcome your fear of the unknown and attend the upcoming reunion. Are your wife and kids (if any) going with you? or will you be attending alone?

8. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,219
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    Good luck with meeting the new family, with 8 siblings there will surely be someone you connect with

9. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,421
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Why Ireland?
    I can emphasize with you. As one who was adopted, and never told of it until I reached the age of 16 and wanted my drivers license which requires a birth certificate. Found out that my birth mother was the person who visited me every Christmas and birthday. Enjoy the time with your new found family. You'll no longer have the haunting question of who, where, you came from.

10. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,958
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    Will there be an open bar? That might help.

11. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,719
    Religion:
    None
    Just have a really great time.

12. Kangaroo Feathers

Kangaroo Feathers Hardline moderate

Ratings:
    +6,412
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Just curious, who had you thought she was previously? Just some random who visited you?

13. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Greased up & ready for action!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +41,338
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Family you don’t know is so much better than family you do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,840
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Congratulations! I am sure that you will have a great time.

15. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +8,230
    Religion:
    none
    Good luck and have fun :)

16. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,421
    Religion:
    Catholic
    A special friend of the family. My adoptive parents were actually to old to adopt so the adoption was granted by a Judge. Don't misunderstand me, I had a wonderful childhood even with all the questions it raised. On positive side I had two families, on the negative side not really belonging to either.

• Friendly Friendly x 1