• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New Family

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Tomorrow, I am going to a barbecue, scheduled to last two days (well, one day really, but spread over the weekend from noon Saturday to noon Sunday.)

This barbecue is for "family and friends" of people I've never met, most of them "my family." I grew up in the Children's Aid, was never adopted, never knew anything about my birth parents. But last year, on my 70th birthday, my partner gave me the Ancestry DNA kit, and after dutifully spitting into the little jar and sending it off to Ireland, 3 weeks later I got a notification from someone who said, "Hi, I'm your niece."

Well, turns out that after I was born, my father had 8 other children (by another mother), who are all my half brothers and sisters. I've met just one of those sisters so far (and 2 of her daughters), but tomorrow, I'm about to meet some 40 or more other people who are my brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, and even great nieces and nephews.

And I'm terrified...feel like running away to the circus right now.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Tomorrow, I am going to a barbecue, scheduled to last two days (well, one day really, but spread over the weekend from noon Saturday to noon Sunday.)

This barbecue is for "family and friends" of people I've never met, most of them "my family." I grew up in the Children's Aid, was never adopted, never knew anything about my birth parents. But last year, on my 70th birthday, my partner gave me the Ancestry DNA kit, and after dutifully spitting into the little jar and sending it off to Ireland, 3 weeks later I got a notification from someone who said, "Hi, I'm your niece."

Well, turns out that after I was born, my father had 8 other children (by another mother), who are all my half brothers and sisters. I've met just one of those sisters so far (and 2 of her daughters), but tomorrow, I'm about to meet some 40 or more other people who are my brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, and even great nieces and nephews.

Go, man! Just be yourself; you'll have a blast.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Hang in there, and enjoy your once in a lifetime experience for what it is. You're lucky to have such an open and welcoming family. Embrace them. :thumbsup:

Neutral Name

No, don't fear. I have met my ex-husband's children from his former marriage. It is wonderful because they are my childrens' half sisters and brother. Of course, I have met other relatives in the past, his and mine who I had not met because they live thousands of miles away. It's a wonderful thing to meet long lost relatives. They will all be very happy to meet you.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Well your story saddens me, but at the same time when I reflect back on my childhood I wonder which of us was the lucky one. To be abandoned and not know your family til late in life. Or to be a victim of all your families evils and then abandoned as in my case.

The optimist in my says "Yay! A chance at a new beginning!". The pessimist says "Yay! All new people to disappoint and hurt me!"

Ultimately it's up to you. Regardless of what you do, I hope you find some semblance of peace and happiness in it!

David T

Premium Member

Awesome!!! Once you get to know them you can be like most of us. OMG THEY ARE CRAZY.
Thats family!!!!

Terry Sampson

Having the advantage of not standing in your shoes, I'm excited for you. I am a passionate, non-professional genetic genealogy addict. I've had the enormous pleasure and privilege of aiding/guiding orphans and biological children of one or the other known parent in identifying unknown biological parents. In some instances, encounters and exchanges with newly found close kin can answer questions previously deemed mysteries. And once answered, all parties move on with their lives, together or not, as the case may be.

Personally, I hope you overcome your fear of the unknown and attend the upcoming reunion. Are your wife and kids (if any) going with you? or will you be attending alone?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Good luck with meeting the new family, with 8 siblings there will surely be someone you connect with

pearl

Ancestry DNA kit, and after dutifully spitting into the little jar and sending it off to Ireland,

Why Ireland?
I can emphasize with you. As one who was adopted, and never told of it until I reached the age of 16 and wanted my drivers license which requires a birth certificate. Found out that my birth mother was the person who visited me every Christmas and birthday. Enjoy the time with your new found family. You'll no longer have the haunting question of who, where, you came from.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Just have a really great time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Family you don’t know is so much better than family you do.

pearl

Just curious, who had you thought she was previously? Just some random who visited you?

A special friend of the family. My adoptive parents were actually to old to adopt so the adoption was granted by a Judge. Don't misunderstand me, I had a wonderful childhood even with all the questions it raised. On positive side I had two families, on the negative side not really belonging to either.