• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Neat Little Box

Eyes to See

I wasn't sure where to post this thread as it isn't about religion per se and definitely not mean to start a debate. Just really useful technology I found was neat and wanted to share.

Jehovah's Witnesses have a website that is now available in over 1,000 languages including many sign languages.

I remember when I was a kid I would have a small book bag to carry all the literature we used at the meetings, including Bible, song book, magazines, and other books and information. And of course a notebook and a pencil and pen to take notes so I wouldn't get distracted, and to remember key points.

Recently the way we hold our meetings have been undergoing changes. One has been the introduction of a large screen or two in each Kingdom Hall, usually a large screen TV. Internet access allows downloading and streaming of broadcasts we watch now at the meetings.

A JW Library App was also introduced with all of the publications and videos available free for download, along with a study Bible and places to keep notes. So now what was once a book-bag full of stuff is now a simple Ipad in a suitcoat pocket.

I never thought I would enjoy an electronic device to read more than physical books. Back in the states I kept a library with hundreds of books and it was my favorite room of the house. I always enjoyed spending time researching and studying, and finding good books to add to the collection.

But when I moved to Mexico I found it was not practical or possible to take with me my entire library I had grown so fond of.

But now I have grown used to having all of the information I previously had on bookshelves on my IPad and computer. At the touch of a button I can pull up music, videos, books, the Bible, and everything else. And I can be on the beach, in a boat, or at a friends, or neighbors house and have it all available. So I have really grown to appreciate it. And we carry a lot less to the meetings! It also makes for a neater home with not as much literature lying around.

But what about much poorer areas of the world, especially places like Africa where internet access is still not available to large swaths of the population, or because of poverty access is extremely limited, prohibitively expensive, and many times of very poor quality?

I found the innovative solution to this problem to be quite ingenious and see God's hand at work as he helps kingdom good news reach all humankind, showing he is not partial but loves everyone no matter what social or ethnic background.

JW Box.jpg

Known simply as the JW Box. It is shipped to congregations in such areas. It has preloaded information available on JW.ORG and JW Library App, including videos, the Bible, books, magazines, music, etc. People just come to the meeting and can connect right there and instantly download the information to their devices. It also comes with a USB, and the branch offices send updated USB sticks that attach and update the information.

JW Box1.jpg

Really a great innovative solution to the problem of poor internet access and poverty in many parts of Africa.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
You guys have to do homework in your churches?
Dang, that’s dedication. I mainly went to mine for the food as a kid.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Excellent post!

We learned more about that, tonight!
Great innovation to accommodate our brothers & sisters who don't have reliable access to internet.
Gotta love it!