• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A moment of glory as an archaeologist or my 15 minutes of fame :)

MattersOfTheHeart

I am actually curious about how the system might have worked or been used. Have you written about that at all, or would you mind sharing some of that information?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I am actually curious about how the system might have worked or been used. Have you written about that at all, or would you mind sharing some of that information?
I might discuss it at a later stage, I still haven't filed my report yet because of my Iceland incursion and heading straight back to do more work after returning to Israel. Perhaps after its published I'll revisit your question. But thanks for the interest, I appreciate it and will definitely keep this in mind :yes:

MattersOfTheHeart

I might discuss it at a later stage, I still haven't filed my report yet because of my Iceland incursion and heading straight back to do more work after returning to Israel. Perhaps after its published I'll revisit your question. But thanks for the interest, I appreciate it and will definitely keep this in mind :yes:
Another curiosity, when things like this are found is it important to keep it somewhat private so people don't try and steal recognition? Does that even make sense what I am asking?

Forgive me if that is a dumb question.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Another curiosity, when things like this are found is it important to keep it somewhat private so people don't try and steal recognition? Does that even make sense what I am asking?

Forgive me if that is a dumb question.
That's actually a great question. Archaeology touches pretty much all sensitivities of society and media. Journalists who write about archaeology dig for information and would love to get their hands on a scoop, that is one example. Of course there are many others, such as political sensitivities or plagiarism. There are excavations that I've taken part in already several years ago which I still save their information and photos for the right time to share publicly.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcomed!

MattersOfTheHeart

That's actually a great question. Archaeology touches pretty much all sensitivities of society and media. Journalists who write about archaeology dig for information and would love to get their hands on a scoop, that is one example. Of course there are many others, such as political sensitivities or plagiarism. There are excavations that I've taken part in already several years ago which I still save their information and photos for the right time to share publicly.

You're welcomed!
Thanks for the explanation. One would not realize such drama exists behind the scenes of what should be just a pure form of human curiosity and exploration. I totally understand it though.

I suppose the idea of hydraulics or a similar system seems radical to my concept of ancient peoples. Are there other examples of devices that you can share or care to share that shows such ingenuity?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Are there other examples of devices that you can share or care to share that shows such ingenuity?
I'll try to at a later stage, but I'd recommend looking into the history and archaeology of hydraulics. For example lead pipes were already used by the Romans.
Congratulations!
Thank you ;) I worked in Ramla this week and passed through an Islamic heritage museum, and had the pleasure of seeing the hydraulic system I excavated presented to the public at the front of the site.