• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Modest Proposal: Permission to be a Parent

Skwim

Veteran Member
Considering how poorly some children are raised and develop, through either neglect, ineptitude, or genetic defect, I believe people should first have to pass a qualifying test before being granted the ability to reproduce. Of course this would mean some kind of birth control device would have to be implanted in children---probably girls?---and then removed or disabled when permission to reproduce was granted.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

Considering how poorly some children are raised and develop, through either neglect, ineptitude, or genetic defect, I believe people should first have to pass a qualifying test before being granted the ability to reproduce. Of course this would mean that some kind of birth control device would have to be implanted in children---probably girls?---and then removed or disabled when permission to reproduce was granted.

Thoughts?

That's a terrible, Orwellian idea. And who would decide what the characteristics of a "good" parent are? The government? Why should we trust them?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Considering how poorly some children are raised and develop, through either neglect, ineptitude, or genetic defect, I believe people should first have to pass a qualifying test before being granted the ability to reproduce. Of course this would mean that some kind of birth control device would have to be implanted in children---probably girls?---and then removed or disabled when permission to reproduce was granted.

Thoughts?

And it sort undo's about 60 years in progress in regard to women's rights instantly. Anytime the government gets involved in this someone starts making the decision of who can and cannot reproduce -- that is troubled waters to say the least.

While I don't agree to do something like this I think birth control should be available as soon as a a girl is able to conceive for her own protection for free. (Mostly because it's so damn cheap and avoids so many other problems...) That gets rid of a major vector of unwanted births which is mostly immaturity in regard to sexual relations. I favor this method because as soon as a young woman is really ready she can just stop taking these pills at will and have her children. That leaves the decision with her...

sealchan

Considering how poorly some children are raised and develop, through either neglect, ineptitude, or genetic defect, I believe people should first have to pass a qualifying test before being granted the ability to reproduce. Of course this would mean some kind of birth control device would have to be implanted in children---probably girls?---and then removed or disabled when permission to reproduce was granted.

Thoughts?

To control and legislate such a fundamental biological and psychological experience I think is well beyond our societies ability and may be undesirable. When we can get the process of intervening on behalf of abused children down to a better degree of competence then maybe we can look at proactive measures.

Skwim

Veteran Member
That's a terrible, Orwellian idea. And who would decide what the characteristics of a "good" parent are?
The CPF: The Council on Parental Fitness.

The government?
Yes, some kind of governmental agency.

Why should we trust them?
You elected the board members in your district.

And it sort undo's about 60 years in progress in regard to women's rights instantly.
Only the right to reproduce without permission.

While I don't agree to do something like this I think birth control should be available as soon as a a girl is able to conceive for her own protection for free. (Mostly because it's so damn cheap and avoids so many other problems...)
Think that all those who can afford it are now paying for the protection?

What if members of this board had an agenda, and only wanted people with specific beliefs or ideas to have children?
Reelect a new board. It will soon become apparent that those with an agenda won't last long.

To control and legislate such a fundamental biological and psychological experience I think is well beyond our societies ability and may be undesirable.
Of course the ability to do so will have to come with time. And whether or not it's desirable is what I'm asking here.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Thoughts?

Sounds like another "I want to be your god" proposition.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Seriously I don't think that we are anywhere needing such an agency yet, but we may be in such a state sooner or later.
Hmm. . . . Considering all the unwanted children in the country, and those who are abused by neglect and ineptitude, plus those who are born with a physical or mental handicap, I think the time to remedy the situation is ASAP.

KenS said:
Sounds like another "I want to be your god" proposition.
And who is saying that?

Deidre

There are so many abusive ''bad'' parents out there, so I think that the theory sounds good for those reasons, but I think that it would become too easy to go down a slippery slope of no return. What would determine a good parent? Intelligence? Education? Status? Health? Morals? It does sound like it would make a good Netflix original series, though. :D

Skwim

Veteran Member
There are so many abusive ''bad'' parents out there, so I think that the theory sounds good for those reasons, but I think that it would become too easy to go down a slippery slope of no return. What would determine a good parent? Intelligence? Education? Status? Health? Morals? It does sound like it would make a good Netflix original series, though. :D
I understand your concern, and setting up the parameters wouldn't be easy, nor would it be easy to devise a reasonable scoring system, but just because it might not be easy doesn't mean it should be abandoned.

Regiomontanus

Retired astronomer, Russian Orthodox

Thoughts?

Hello.

My thought is that such a scheme would have made Hitler happy.

Peace.