• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a message from Gun Owners of America to me

Jonathan Bailey

to share with all YOU in the Christian spirit of giving as follows:

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) released a “study” using data from the virulently anti-gun Brady Campaign which claims that tougher gun control leads to fewer firearm deaths of children.

Their goal is to convince you to support gun control measures such as Universal Background Checks or Red Flag Gun Grabs -- or else be publicly shamed as an enabler of children’s deaths.

The pediatrics’ lobby wants you to believe that children are safer in Baltimore and the south side of Chicago than in Cheyenne, Wyoming or Bismarck, North Dakota.

In reality, the surest way to endanger children is to create more and more “gun-free zones” for killers to flock to.

Take the state of Maryland, which has Universal Background Checks, so-called “assault weapons” bans, red flag Gun Confiscation Orders, and much more.

Because of all of its gun control, the Brady Campaign gives Maryland an A-. (why not an A+?, because Maryland doesn't ban muzzle-loaders and BB guns on top of "assault weapons"?) And yet its neighbor to the south, Virginia, has none of these restrictions. So the Brady Campaign has downgraded the state with a D grade. Why does Virgina get only a D and not an F? Is this because Virginia puts strict control on atomic weapons at least?

To simply look at these grades, one might assume that Maryland is the safer state. But then one would be wrong.

Not only has Maryland’s additional gun control NOT made the state any safer, its murder rate is almost DOUBLE the rate of Virginia’s.

In fact, Baltimore leads all large cities with the highest murder rate per capita.

The “success” of gun control is based on nothing but circular reasoning.

The Brady Bunch assumes that gun control makes a state safer. Then states with more gun control get higher grades. Finally, researchers come along and use the state grades to “prove” that states with higher grades are safer -- despite evidence to the contrary.

The AAP report “adjusted” government data to determine that 21,241 children died of “firearm-related injuries” during a recent five-year period.

Among the many flaws in their analysis is this: Over two-thirds of firearms-related deaths are from suicides. But roughly half of suicide deaths are from means other than firearms.

Hence, the inaccessibility of firearms in places like New York and San Francisco will simply shift suicide methods to jumping, overdoses, and wrist-slashing.

The study also ignored how many children were saved in the more than 500,000 to 3 million times a year that guns are used to prevent crime.

The Centers for Disease Control have already reported that guns are used millions of times each year in self-defense. In fact, compared to the negative uses of firearms, the CDC data demonstrates that guns are used 16-100 times more often to save life than to take life.

I implore you to carefully and rationally review the facts before voting on any gun control measures passed by Nancy Pelosi’s House majority.

The above was a prewritten email message to send to my US lawmakers in Oklahoma which I have already done. OK is quite pro-gun.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Only a real idiot would actually believe that having more guns in the household would make children, or anyone else for that matter, safer.

The problem of gun violence, injury, and death is really very simple. The more guns that get into the hands of irresponsible humans, the more violent injury and death will result. So that if we do not somehow regulate the availability of guns to irresponsible humans, then the only mitigating factor left is the overall number of guns per capita. Which in our case is not going to come out in the favor of less violent injury and death, because our society is already awash in guns.

It's been an established fact for many decades that having a gun in a household significantly increases the likelihood of someone in that household being injured or killed by it. In fact, it far exceeds the likelihood of being injured or killed by someone invading the household with the intent of injuring or killing a household member. And this should not come as a surprise to anyone since it is simply logical that if there is no gun in the household, the only way to be injured or killed by one is for someone to bring one in. So if no one brings one in, no one can get injured or killed by it. It is also a long known fact that most of the people who are injured or killed in a household by a gun either shot themselves, or were shot by another family member, or by a friend or neighbor that they invited into their home. So the proposition that having a gun PROTECTS the household from unwanted invaders is mostly a false claim, since having the gun in the house presents far more danger to the family living in the house than it will ever thwart coming in from without.

But guns give humans a sense of power, and security, and righteousness like few other object do. And so we will not give them up, willingly, or easily. And there's no reason that we should have to if we can just find a way to keep them out of the hands of the irresponsible humans among us (including, of course, children). But our fetish for guns, and our lust for the profit margins they generate has so far stopped us from doing the sensible, reasonable thing, and effectively regulating who we can allow to have access to them, and who we cannot.

Last edited:

leov

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) released a “study” using data from the virulently anti-gun Brady Campaign which claims that tougher gun control leads to fewer firearm deaths of children.

Their goal is to convince you to support gun control measures such as Universal Background Checks or Red Flag Gun Grabs -- or else be publicly shamed as an enabler of children’s deaths.

The pediatrics’ lobby wants you to believe that children are safer in Baltimore and the south side of Chicago than in Cheyenne, Wyoming or Bismarck, North Dakota.

In reality, the surest way to endanger children is to create more and more “gun-free zones” for killers to flock to.

Take the state of Maryland, which has Universal Background Checks, so-called “assault weapons” bans, red flag Gun Confiscation Orders, and much more.

Because of all of its gun control, the Brady Campaign gives Maryland an A-. And yet its neighbor to the south, Virginia, has none of these restrictions. So the Brady Campaign has downgraded the state with a D grade.

To simply look at these grades, one might assume that Maryland is the safer state. But then one would be wrong.

Not only has Maryland’s additional gun control NOT made the state any safer, its murder rate is almost DOUBLE the rate of Virginia’s.

In fact, Baltimore leads all large cities with the highest murder rate per capita.

The Brady Bunch assumes that gun control makes a state safer. Then states with more gun control get higher grades. Finally, researchers come along and use the state grades to “prove” that states with higher grades are safer -- despite evidence to the contrary.

The AAP report “adjusted” government data to determine that 21,241 children died of “firearm-related injuries” during a recent five-year period.

Among the many flaws in their analysis is this: Over two-thirds of firearms-related deaths are from suicides. But roughly half of suicide deaths are from means other than firearms.

Hence, the inaccessibility of firearms in places like New York and San Francisco will simply shift suicide methods to jumping, overdoses, and wrist-slashing.

The study also ignored how many children were saved in the more than 500,000 to 3 million times a year that guns are used to prevent crime.

The Centers for Disease Control have already reported that guns are used millions of times each year in self-defense. In fact, compared to the negative uses of firearms, the CDC data demonstrates that guns are used 16-100 times more often to save life than to take life.

I implore you to carefully and rationally review the facts before voting on any gun control measures passed by Nancy Pelosi’s House majority.

The above was a prewritten email message to send to my US lawmakers in Oklahoma which I have already done. OK is quite pro-gun.
Military eyes 16-year-olds as ranks and candidates dwindle

Jonathan Bailey

Only a real idiot would actually believe that having more guns in the household would make children, or anyone else for that matter, safer.

The problem of gun violence, injury, and death is really very simple. The more guns that get into the hands of irresponsible humans, the more violent injury and death will result. So that if we do not somehow regulate the availability of guns to irresponsible humans, then the only mitigating factor left is the overall number of guns per capita. Which in our case is not going to come out in the favor of less violent injury and death, because our society is already awash in guns.

It's been an established fact for many decades that having a gun in a household significantly increases the likelihood of someone in that household being injured or killed by it. In fact, it far exceeds the likelihood of being injured or killed by someone invading the household with the intent of injuring or killing a household member. And this should not come as a surprise to anyone since it is simply logical that if there is no gun in the household, the only way to be injured or killed by one is for someone to bring one in. So if no one brings one in, no one can gets injured or killed by it. It is also a long known fact that most of the people who are injured or killed in a household by a gun either shot themselves, or were shot by another family member, or by a friend or neighbor that they invited into their home. So the proposition that having a gun PROTECTS the household from unwanted invaders is mostly a false claim, since having the gun in the house presents far more danger to the family living in the house than it will ever thwart from without.

But guns give humans a sense of power, and security, and righteousness like few other object do. And so we will not give them up, willingly, or easily. And there's no reason that we should have to if we can just find a way to keep them out of the hands of the irresponsible humans among us (including, of course, children). But our fetish for guns, and our lust the profit margins they generate has so far stopped us from doing the sensible, reasonable thing, and effectively regulating who we can allow to have access to them, and who cannot.

Most mass shooters got their guns through passing background checks at federally-licensed gun dealers by the laws on the books already. All the good the "gun control" laws do to protect the innocent. More gun control laws is like throwing fuel, gasoline, on top of fire.

I'm not an idiot. I don't just believe that more gun rights make us safe: I know that more gun rights keeps us safe for a fact, Jack! I can study the statistics. FBI and law enforcement crime stats don't lie. Murder and violent crimes are more prevalent in jurisdictions with more gun regulations. The criminals know that when the good people are unlikely to be armed, they are easy targets.

GUNS are never VIOLENT: only people are by their will, by their premeditation and by their actions or by their emotions or their insanity.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Most mass shooters got their guns through passing background checks at federally-licensed gun dealers by the laws on the books already. All the good the "gun control" laws do to protect the innocent. More gun control laws is like throwing fuel, gasoline, on top of fire.
We have almost no EFFECTIVE gun regulation at the present time. So blaming ineffective regulation for it's ineffectiveness is ... well ... pointless, at best, and is ultimately a deliberate deception.

We regulate who, how, and when we can use all kinds of dangerous machines, and yet we cannot find the will to regulate who, how, and when we can use a machine that is designed to do nothing BUT injure and kill people. We manage to identify and weed out the irresponsible people among us regarding all those other dangerous machines, and yet somehow we just can't seem to conceive of a way of doing it with one of the most dangerous machines that we create.

The problem is not the machines, nor the fact that some humans are irresponsible regarding the well-being of their fellow humans. The problem is our unwillingness to oversee and regulate irresponsible access to these particularly deadly machines. WHY? Because they are a hugely powerful fetish object for a lot of us, and that means big profits for those who manufacture them.

David T

Premium Member

Because of all of its gun control, the Brady Campaign gives Maryland an A-. (why not an A+?, because Maryland doesn't ban muzzle-loaders and BB guns on top of "assault weapons"?) And yet its neighbor to the south, Virginia, has none of these restrictions. So the Brady Campaign has downgraded the state with a D grade. Why does Virgina get only a D and not an F? Is this because Virginia puts strict control on atomic weapons at least?

Oh i love guns never know what creature low life dispicable ground crawling butt ugly, stupid dangerous creature slither out from under a rock and my rifle accidently go off. I would be far out hiking in the lovely wilderness and i might see that creature bumblimg up the trail and would accidently shoot that creapy crawly. I am pretty sure that creapy crawly snake wont be around pretty afraid of the trees. Thinks they are a menace. Omg these trees are dangerous..... They are out to get us...

So yea always packing never know if ya might see a snake..... Stupid creature feeds off all kinds of vile things disgusting. Its favorite food is fear.......

Although i walk through the shadow if death i will FEAR no evil. Snake to stupid cant read...... Got it snake, hearing me snake do you have ears snake i am coming after you snake........fear thats what ya love snake fear isnt it...... Ya feed off it.
Love st john muir. He is a saint because he changed folks perceptions. Got it snake?.....stupid dumber than a rock.... But dangerous.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
We have almost no EFFECTIVE gun regulation at the present time. So blaming ineffective regulation for it's ineffectiveness is ... well ... pointless, at best, and is ultimately a deliberate deception.

We regulate who, how, and when we can use all kinds of dangerous machines, and yet we cannot find the will to regulate who, how, and when we can use a machine that is designed to do nothing BUT injure and kill people. We manage to identify and weed out the irresponsible people among us regarding all those other dangerous machines, and yet somehow we just can't seem to conceive of a way of doing it with one of the most dangerous machines that we create.

The problem is not the machines, nor the fact that some humans are irresponsible regarding the well-being of their fellow humans. The problem is our unwillingness to oversee and regulate irresponsible access to these particularly deadly machines. WHY? Because they are a hugely powerful fetish object for a lot of us, and that means big profits for those who manufacture them.

What would you consider an 'effective' gun regulation?

PureX

Veteran Member
What would you consider an 'effective' gun regulation?
The way we regulate the use of other dangerous mechanical objects seems to work fairly well with them. That is requiring various levels of licensing, and requiring various criteria to be met for each level of license. With the intent of denying a license to people with a history of social irresponsibility, like fighting, drinking, drugging, stalking, domestic abuse/disturbances, criminal convictions, and so on. Also, with the intent or making sure those who do receive a license are well trained and practiced at the legalisms, proficiency, and safety of gun ownership and use.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The way we regulate the use of other dangerous mechanical objects seems to work fairly well with them. That is requiring various levels of licensing, and requiring various criteria to be met for each level of license. With the intent of denying a license to people with a history of social irresponsibility, like fighting, drinking, drugging, stalking, domestic abuse/disturbances, criminal convictions, and so on. Also, with the intent or making sure those who do receive a license are well trained and practiced at the legalisms, proficiency, and safety of gun ownership and use.

And you don't think the mandatory background checks fill at least part of your requirements?

PureX

Veteran Member
And you don't think the mandatory background checks fill at least part of your requirements?
Obviously, it does not, as we all can see from the frightening gun-death stats in this country. Such checks are haphazardly and half-heartedly applied, or not required at all. And it applies only to gun purchases. It completely misses the whole point of gun use regulation and oversight.

shmogie

I worked as a LEO for 25 years in what has become the peoples republik of kalifornia. As you know that state has always had draconian gun laws.

The interesting thing is that any crook on the street with the money can buy a gun within an hour of beginning a search.

So, in essence, gun control laws are aimed at one group of people,the responsible citizen who follows the law. He or she must jump through all kinds of hoops to obtain a firearm and ammunition, while the crooks just need the money.

Draconian gun control laws are the result of two things

1) in the face of terrible things people do to one another, passing another law makes one feel like an effort is being made to stop the carnage. Like hamsters running on a wheel, the doing is critical, results are irrelevant. They cannot get their heads around the fact that the problem is a people problem, not a problem caused by a hunk of steel.

2) a much deeper and nefarious reason exists for gun banning and confiscation. Most supporters of these mindless laws aren´t even aware of it. It is a political motive.

An unarmed populace is a much more docile and compliant populace.

It is no coincidence that from the Russian revolution to Venezuala and Cuba today, the first thing socialist governments do when in power is confiscate the guns of the people.

Even the less socialist socialist governments of Europe are big time into gun banning and gun confiscation. In some, pellet guns must be registered and licensed, so if the government decides to confiscate those, they know whose door to knock on.

I live in Arizona, where the only permit to own and carry, concealed if you choose, is the US Constitution.

In my career, I only once took a gun from a bad actor who legally bought it. All the rest were crooks, many ex felons, a number on parole, who had no legal right to have a gun, yet they did, and the laws forbidding them ownership, meant absolutely 0 to them.

PureX

Veteran Member
In my career, I only once took a gun from a bad actor who legally bought it. All the rest were crooks, many ex felons, a number on parole, who had no legal right to have a gun, yet they did, and the laws forbidding them ownership, meant absolutely 0 to them.
The problem here is that our "regulation", what little there is of it, focuses only on gun purchases, and not on gun possession and use. Anyone caught with a gun and no license to have it in their possession should face very serious consequences.

Yeas ago people drank and drove automobiles, routinely, because our society did not treat it as a serious offense against the public's safety. And every year many thousands of citizens were killed by drunk driving. Now days, drunk driving is treated as a much more serious offense against the public's safety, and the consequences for getting caught doing it are far more severe. As a result, fewer people drink and drive. And MANY fewer people are killed each year by drunk driving than used to be killed by it in decades past.

The same would be true for the illegal possession and use of guns if we would treat it as the very serious threat to public safety that it actually is. Other countries, like Australia, have taken their gun problem seriously and have changed their national behavior with guns, over time, as a result. We in the U.S. could, too, if we could get past the bizarre fetish we have with guns, and take some civic responsibility for the danger they pose to public safety. But we Americans are an insanely selfish and self-centered lot, willing to let thousands of our fellow citizens die every year just so we can continue to play with our guns. Not to mention the irresponsible corporate lust for profit-taking even at the expense of thousands of human lives.

shmogie

Obviously, it does not, as we all can see from the frightening gun-death stats in this country. Such checks are haphazardly and half-heartedly applied, or not required at all. And it applies only to gun purchases. It completely misses the whole point of gun use regulation and oversight.
Use regulation and oversight. Funny I don´t find those words in the Constitution.

In 25 years as a LEO, I found that the crooks who carried and used guns didn´t give a rats *** about any laws restricting their having a gun or using it.

Use regulation and oversight, i.e. more government intrusion into ones life, is aimed at the good citizen who will jump through the hoops to obtain a firearm. The good guy,

The social problem of bad people who do bad things, including laughing at any gun control laws that might exist, while they carry their illegal gun, is ignored.

I support thorough background checks, and a short basic firearm safety presentation at the [point of purchase, perhaps by DVD, and that is it, period.

I find it somewhat disingenuous when gun control advocates demand more and more restrictive laws on guns, be
cause of their huge anxiety over firearms deaths.

Yet I could easily design a set of laws relating to motor vehicles and their use that would take a huge bite out of the 50,000 or so deaths on the highway, perhaps 50%.

Everyone depends on motor vehicles, and apparently accept the deaths as a price someone else has to pay for their convenience.

Apparently one killed by gun violence is much more dead than one killed in a car crash.

Most gun control advocates who support draconian laws, do not own guns, and perhaps are afraid of them. It is no skin of their nose if a law abiding citizen must have his second amendment rights trashed so they can think they have ¨ done something ¨.. I once heard one of these ignorant ones state in a news conference that an AR - 15 fired 1,000 rounds in a second.

Under no circumstance should the government intrude itself into the lawful exercise of a Constitutional right.

It is flat out none of the governments business what I do with my firearms, or how many I have.

If I break existing law, punish me harshly for it. Do not punish me in advance for something someone else did.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

So outline your plan.

leov

Draft never left. 18 year old men still have to register. They could be called up tomorrow if needs be.
Trying to register 16 year old kids is creating a problem in eyes of public which already has solution - draft. Just pre - marinating public.