• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A light in some stories and scriptures obscured by belief systems

Jim

Nets of Wonder
NOTE: My reason for posting this in the debate forum is not to debate about it, myself. I just want to allow as much freedom as possible for others to say what they think about it.

I think that all the best possibilities in life are accessible to all people, no matter what they believe or don’t believe about anyone or anything, I think that immersing in the stories and scriptures of some religions, side by side with some other people, and/or following a trained and experienced master teacher in one of them, can help anyone live the best life they can. I won’t try to list all those religions, but they include Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism. The light that I see in them is not in any of the beliefs associated with any of them. Focusing on belief systems and debating about them distracts and diverts attention from that light, and hides it from view. I think that anyone who chooses to investigate and explore the possibilities in them for a better life needs to just ignore all that, and immerse in their stories and scriptures side by side with some other people, and/or follow a master teacher. The master teacher can be a living person, or a character in the stories.

Last edited:

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
and/or follow a master teacher. The master teacher can be a living person, or a character in the stories.
Sadhu, Brahman Jim

...As he was sitting there, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the holy life, lord: admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie."[1]

"Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path.
The Blessed One said, "If wanderers who are members of other sects should ask you, 'What, friend, are the prerequisites for the development of the wings to self-awakening?' you should answer, 'There is the case where a monk has admirable friends, admirable companions, admirable comrades. This is the first prerequisite for the development of the wings to self-awakening.
More on that and sources:
Admirable friend - Großartiger Freund (kalyanamittata)

Even the Sublime Buddha did in ways Brahman Jim suggested:

"Having gone forth in search of what might be skillful, seeking the unexcelled state of sublime peace, I went to Alara Kalama and, on arrival, said to him: 'Friend Kalama, I want to practice in this doctrine & discipline.'

"When this was said, he replied to me, 'You may stay here, my friend. This doctrine is such that a wise person can soon enter & dwell in his own teacher's knowledge, having realized it for himself through direct knowledge.'

"It was not long before I learned the doctrine. As far as mere lip-reciting & repetition, I could speak the words of knowledge, the words of the elders, and I could affirm that I knew & saw — I, along with others.

"I thought: 'It isn't through mere conviction alone that Alara Kalama declares, "I have entered & dwell in this Dhamma, having realized it for myself through direct knowledge." Certainly he dwells knowing & seeing this Dhamma.' So I went to him and said, 'To what extent do you declare that you have entered & dwell in this Dhamma?' When this was said, he declared the dimension of nothingness.

"I thought: 'Not only does Alara Kalama have conviction, persistence, mindfulness, concentration, & discernment. I, too, have conviction, persistence, mindfulness, concentration, & discernment. What if I were to endeavor to realize for myself the Dhamma that Alara Kalama declares he has entered & dwells in, having realized it for himself through direct knowledge.' So it was not long before I quickly entered & dwelled in that Dhamma, having realized it for myself through direct knowledge. I went to him and said, 'Friend Kalama, is this the extent to which you have entered & dwell in this Dhamma, having realized it for yourself through direct knowledge?'

"'Yes, my friend...'

"'This, friend, is the extent to which I, too, have entered & dwell in this Dhamma, having realized it for myself through direct knowledge.'

"'It is a gain for us, my friend, a great gain for us, that we have such a companion in the holy life. So the Dhamma I declare I have entered & dwell in, having realized it for myself through direct knowledge, is the Dhamma you declare you have entered & dwell in, having realized it for yourself through direct knowledge. And the Dhamma you declare you have entered & dwell in, having realized it for yourself through direct knowledge, is the Dhamma I declare I have entered & dwell in, having realized it for myself through direct knowledge. The Dhamma I know is the Dhamma you know; the Dhamma you know is the Dhamma I know. As I am, so are you; as you are, so am I. Come friend, let us now lead this community together.'

"In this way did Alara Kalama, my teacher, place me, his pupil, on the same level with himself and pay me great honor. But the thought occurred to me, 'This Dhamma leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to Awakening, nor to Unbinding (nibbana), but only to reappearance in the dimension of nothingness.' So, dissatisfied with that Dhamma, I left.

"In search of what might be skillful, seeking the unexcelled state of sublime peace, I went to Uddaka Ramaputta and, on arrival, said to him: 'Friend Uddaka, I want to practice in this doctrine & discipline.'

"When this was said, he replied to me, 'You may stay here, my friend. This doctrine is such that a wise person can soon enter & dwell in his own teacher's knowledge, having realized it for himself through direct knowledge.'

"It was not long before I quickly learned the doctrine. As far as mere lip-reciting & repetition, I could speak the words of knowledge, the words of the elders, and I could affirm that I knew & saw — I, along with others.

"I thought: 'It wasn't through mere conviction alone that Rama declared, "I have entered & dwell in this Dhamma, having realized it for myself through direct knowledge." Certainly he dwelled knowing & seeing this Dhamma.' So I went to Uddaka and said, 'To what extent did Rama declare that he had entered & dwelled in this Dhamma?' When this was said, Uddaka declared the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception.

"I thought: 'Not only did Rama have conviction, persistence, mindfulness, concentration, & discernment. I, too, have conviction, persistence, mindfulness, concentration, & discernment. What if I were to endeavor to realize for myself the Dhamma that Rama declared he entered & dwelled in, having realized it for himself through direct knowledge.' So it was not long before I quickly entered & dwelled in that Dhamma, having realized it for myself through direct knowledge. I went to Uddaka and said, 'Friend Uddaka, is this the extent to which Rama entered & dwelled in this Dhamma, having realized it for himself through direct knowledge?'

"'Yes, my friend...'

"'This, friend, is the extent to which I, too, have entered & dwell in this Dhamma, having realized it for myself through direct knowledge.'

"'It is a gain for us, my friend, a great gain for us, that we have such a companion in the holy life. So the Dhamma Rama declared he entered & dwelled in, having realized it for himself through direct knowledge, is the Dhamma you declare you have entered & dwell in, having realized it for yourself through direct knowledge. And the Dhamma you declare you have entered & dwell in, having realized it for yourself through direct knowledge, is the Dhamma Rama declared he entered & dwelled in, having realized it for himself through direct knowledge. The Dhamma he knew is the Dhamma you know; the Dhamma you know is the Dhamma he knew. As he was, so are you; as you are, so was he. Come friend, lead this community.'

"In this way did Uddaka Ramaputta, my companion in the holy life, place me in the position of teacher and pay me great honor. But the thought occurred to me, 'This Dhamma leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to Awakening, nor to Unbinding (nibbana), but only to reappearance in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception.' So, dissatisfied with that Dhamma, I left."

MN 36

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think that anyone who chooses to investigate and explore the possibilities in them for a better life needs to just ignore all that, and immerse in their stories and scriptures side by side with some other people, and/or follow a master teacher.
It is wrong to consider that there can be a Master Teacher. That way you become a slave and loose your freedom. I am dead against the 'Master Teacher' thing. We learn from all things in life. Even an ant has something to teach us. It is not possible pragmatically to ignore many things. We have a story where there was a flood and a man and a bear were being carried away by the current. The bear clutched at the man for support (in such a situation, living beings would clutch even at a straw). A man on the bank seeing the man with something black clinging to him thought that it was a blanket. He cried to the man in the river to leave the blanket and try to swim to the bank. The man in in river replied that he wanted to throw away the blanket but the blanket was not letting him go free. So, what all can one ignore in life? There are things which cannot be ignored. Buddha said:

Do not go upon > what is in a scripture (piṭaka-sampadāna), nor upon > the consideration, The monk is our teacher (samaṇo no garū).
Details here: Kalama Sutta - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I am dead against the 'Master Teacher' thing.
Yes, I’ve noticed that. :)
We learn from all things in life. Even an ant has something to teach us. It is not possible pragmatically to ignore many things. We have a story where there was a flood and a man and a bear were being carried away by the current. The bear clutched at the man for support (in such a situation, living beings would clutch even at a straw). A man on the bank seeing the man with something black clinging to him thought that it was a blanket. He cried to the man in the river to leave the blanket and try to swim to the bank. The man in in river replied that he wanted to throw away the blanket but the blanket was not letting him go free. So, what all can one ignore in life? There are things which cannot be ignored. Buddha said:

Do not go upon > what is in a scripture (piṭaka-sampadāna), nor upon > the consideration, The monk is our teacher (samaṇo no garū).
Details here: Kalama Sutta - Wikipedia
I love what you said, and the way you said it, with a story. Thank you.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Some discussions here have brought this to my mind again. I think that part of what hides the light in some stories and scriptures, and even repels people away from them, are the belief systems that people associate with them. I denounce all promotion of any beliefs that labels those beliefs as “Jewish,” “Christian,” “Muslim,” “Baha’i,” “Hindu,” “Taoist” or “Buddhist.”

Darkforbid

Well if you didn't know:

Most of the old religions have key bits of information that are only given as you progress through the higher levels

Basically if you're a follow of one of the newer ones you're wasting your time, to clarify you're not being swindled they just don't know