• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A law that forbids ritual slaughter (halal, kosher)

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Is that true? I never knew that.
Even non-believers?

You learn something everyday
That's dropping. Latinos don't tend to practice it and they will be the majority ethnicity soon. Most babies born in Western states aren't cut. Of course now the "health" institutions are whining and fearmongering about this decline. :rolleyes:

Shaul

Premium Member
Laws about husbandry here impose that the animal must undergo an instant death, through certain practices. In these 2 practices the animal suffers consciously before dying.

Shechita - Wikipedia
Dhabihah - Wikipedia
No offense but saying kosher slaughtering doesn’t result in instant death is wrong. An animal slaughtered by kosher standards loses consciousness before its brain could register any pain. Kosher slaughtering is the most humane means possible.

Shaul

Premium Member
Many of you think this law intends to target a religious practice, and so therefore a religion.
We just want animals not to suffer...that's why the animal should be killed by firearm before the ritual cut of the animal's juggler..
It's not asking for the moon.

Answering your question...I've nothing against circumcision....and btw...I underline this thread is not against the religion
And that is demonstrably more inhumane than kosher slaughtering. The killing of animals by “firearms” is far more inhumane. The actual mechanism of the “firearm” method is to used a cartridge to drive a nail like bolt into the animal’s skull. But, sadly, these often misfire or, worse, don’t kill the animal. The animal’s skull isn’t fractured enough to kill the animal. Instead the animal is stunned and suffers terribly. Sometimes it takes multiple “shots” to put the animal down. Meanwhile it staggers and suffers enormous pain.

None of those things happens during kosher slaughter.

The Lega wants to abolish ritual slaughter

The images from the festival of of Id al-adha , last August, in Naples were so horrific, that the Lega, the first Nationalist party in my country intends to abolish this barbaric practice.
The state cannot condone that animals dignity is sacrificed in the name of religion.
I am really not buying that these "laws" have anything to do with the humane treatment of animals. I believe it is motivated by Italian anti-semitism

No offense but saying kosher slaughtering doesn’t result in instant death is wrong. An animal slaughtered by kosher standards loses consciousness before its brain could register any pain. Kosher slaughtering is the most humane means possible.
It's not the most humane means possible but I know they do cut a lot nerves in the initial slice and that that prevents a lot of the pain. It's a lot better than an electric shock and bolt to the brain though.

Shaul

Premium Member
It's not the most humane means possible but I know they do cut a lot nerves in the initial slice and that that prevents a lot of the pain. It's a lot better than an electric shock and bolt to the brain though.
You don’t seem to understand how kosher slaughtering is done. A razor sharp knife is used to sever the carotid artery in a single swift movement. Because the knife is so sharp there is a moment before the nerves respond. Similar to the moment between when you cut yourself with a paper cut and you “feel” the cut. During that moment the blood leaves the animal’s brain, through the carotid artery, before the animal’s feel the pain of the cut.

An electric shock through the brain is the opposite. It causes immense pain and suffering. I have already explained how using a bolt propelled by a cartridge can cause immense suffering.

'Pre-slaughter stun less humane than shechita’

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Similar to the moment between when you cut yourself with a paper cut and you “feel” the cut. During that moment the blood leaves the animal’s brain, through the carotid artery, before the animal’s feel the pain of the cut.
Not true, not scientific. The blood that is already in the brain would keep on transferring oxygen to the cells. Blood is not sucked out of the brain, even if the supply stops. The nerves would convey the fact to the brain that something has been cut quicker than any movement of the hand. I agree there won't be much pain. When death comes to a human or an animal, time feels elongated. That is when NDE experience happens.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And that is demonstrably more inhumane than kosher slaughtering. The killing of animals by “firearms” is far more inhumane. The actual mechanism of the “firearm” method is to used a cartridge to drive a nail like bolt into the animal’s skull. But, sadly, these often misfire or, worse, don’t kill the animal. The animal’s skull isn’t fractured enough to kill the animal. Instead the animal is stunned and suffers terribly. Sometimes it takes multiple “shots” to put the animal down. Meanwhile it staggers and suffers enormous pain.

None of those things happens during kosher slaughter.
Seriously...it saddens me that people here think I am hostile to a religious tradition and so to a religion.

Rituals scare me...because biblical prescriptions were written when there was no scientific research on animal welfare.
People have the moral duty to kill the animal in the least traumatic and painful way possible.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I find it comical when people denounce hunting and/or fishing as being cruel and unethical, but still have no qualms with eating meat from their grocery store as if industrial slaughterhouses were somehow more humane.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
How would that happen? Lead cannot "seep" very far into a nonmoving blood stream. Also if you ever hunted you would know that many shots to through the body of the animal. Not much seeping will occur in a fraction of a second. If one hints for fowl with a shotgun there is zero chances of lead poisoning since lead shot has been illegal, at least for waterfowl, for over a generation.

You dislike me so much you can’t even fact check yourself

Lead in ammunition contaminates game meat

Another problem with shooting animals is that animals especially cows for example “know when they’re going to die” or lead to something potentially dangerous which they release enzymes in meat. This is why measures are taken. Not to mention a loud sound from a firearm may disturb other creatures. Not to mention some animals may not die from a shot to the head. Sure maybe brain dead but this could potentially lead to enzymes being released which can affect consumption. There are too many variables.

If shooting in the head was a viable and more humane option many slaughtering houses would’ve used this method already.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
As @Subduction Zone said, the animal is usually shot in the head to cause instant death. The lead won't reach the bloodstream

we wish we were all veggies..but people eat meat. so...let's avoid animals suffering

See above post....There is a reason why food that is distributed in mass quantities are meat produce that are from animals that aren’t shot in the head. You forget “Cabeza” or muscle/tissue from the head of an animal is a delicacy among many Hispanic dishes.

Flankerl

Seriously...it saddens me that people here think I am hostile to a religious tradition and so to a religion.

yes...the same old tune. No wonder we elected a dictator in the 20s who got rid of Freemasons and Bankers.
A bit of cleansing is necessary, sometimes

Stop crying Fascist.

Rituals scare me...

Even if by accident you wrote something good. This here is the reason most Europeans hate ritual slaughter.
Their group of people doesn't practice it and there is blood, lot's of blood.
It doesn't matter whether the animals in their slaughterhouses also bleed, they don't feel anything and those who are ritually slaughtered supposedly do.

When you cut of the head of a chicken it tends to run around. That does not mean that the chicken feels anything. It is dead.
Same with cows who have their throat slit in a second. They spasm around but that's just signals going haywire.

But reason does not matter. It is icky and done by foreign people.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You dislike me so much you can’t even fact check yourself

Lead in ammunition contaminates game meat

Another problem with shooting animals is that animals especially cows for example “know when they’re going to die” or lead to something potentially dangerous which they release enzymes in meat. This is why measures are taken. Not to mention a loud sound from a firearm may disturb other creatures. Not to mention some animals may not die from a shot to the head. Sure maybe brain dead but this could potentially lead to enzymes being released which can affect consumption. There are too many variables.

If shooting in the head was a viable and more humane option many slaughtering houses would’ve used this method already.
Did you notice what countries they based that study on? Mallards, one of the birds they mentioned in your stufy, do not have that problem in the U.S.. Do you know why?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Did you notice what countries they based that study on? Mallards, one of the birds they mentioned in your stufy, do not have that problem in the U.S.. Do you know why?

Often studies are cited from other countries are still applicable elsewhere. The fact is there is a real scientific reason why we don’t shoot animals in the head. Did you also read what happens to lead when mixed in with other ingredients we consume like vinegar? Did you also read what happens to lead?

You do realize when a bullet his the skull it fragments or at least particulars of the bullet remain in the body so you don’t fully remove the lead. If you can provide scientific backing that contradicts mine I like to read it. Point is, most companies like USDA are trying to prevent the release of cortisol in meat therefore I believe and this is just an educated guess, is the reason why we kill animals in the U.S. the way we do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Often studies are cited from other countries are still applicable elsewhere. The fact is there is a real scientific reason why we don’t shoot animals in the head. Did you also read what happens to lead when mixed in with other ingredients we consume like vinegar? Did you also read what happens to lead?

You do realize when a bullet his the skull it fragments or at least particulars of the bullet remain in the body so you don’t fully remove the lead. If you can provide scientific backing that contradicts mine I like to read it. Point is, most companies like USDA are trying to prevent the release of cortisol in meat therefore I believe and this is just an educated guess, is the reason why we kill animals in the U.S. the way we do.
And you still have no clue as to why that study does not apply. Did you even read the post that I wrote? In the U.S. if one obeys the law it is quite impossible to get lead poisoning from shooting waterfowl.