• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A journey towards the self...

Aristocrap

Hello all!
I'm going to be a freshman in college soon and that means I'm going to be subject to a much different environment than I'm used to. However, as my high school years come to a close, I feel like I need some sort of guidance in my spiritual life. No, I'm not talking about Christianity or other Abrahamic religions - I don't have faith in anything of the sort, though my mother still takes me to church and I serve as an acolyte (rather out of a community-based duty and respect than religious devotion).

Ever since middle school, I've been interested in what you might call the Left-Hand Path. Satanism, Luciferianism, Demonolatry, whatever else you may associate with it, etc. My middle school years were just really scraping the surface and dabbling in study. As I moved onto high school, I began to develop a more mature understanding and thought of what I actually believed in. Problem is, I didn't know what I believed in and so I searched over the Internet for information, guides and what-have-you.

That's when I started to take things with a grain of salt. There's so much -excuse me- garbage out there. At least, garbage from my point of view. I've read articles about worshiping Satan as some kind of extraterrestrial, which I believed (and still do) to be nonsense. There's lots of -quite frankly- ridiculous stuff out there waiting to lure the inexperienced in. Lots of the books I've read have expressed viewpoints and ideologies that I found distasteful - notably Michael W. Ford's works among others. And many organizations or cults out there simply are very elitist, which I'm not fond of. I'm not really looking to "join up" with any cult at all.

I think what I really want is simply a religion of the self where I can work toward my betterment with the guidance of entities, or demons, if you choose to call them so. Demonolatry was a prime choice for me, though it seemed so complicated with different holidays, rites, etc. that I'd need to base my life around (At least that's what I found when looking up OFS Demonolatry). I'll give a simple list of my general beliefs I've established throughout my life - maybe you guys can help me. Perhaps I'm more suited to a different path altogether:

My core beliefs:

-All things of the world are somehow interconnected. To expand on that, I think humanity is one whole, with different aspects, or groups of people. Humanity needs to figure out ways to work toward its betterment, just as the self needs to be enlightened. Indeed, animals and plants are part of the whole and although seem alien to humans they are necessities on earth and have fates intertwined with ours.

-There isn't a heaven or hell per-say, but after we die, I believe we simply become part of the earth, or the whole and our essence goes to sustain new life. I have not decided if I believe in reincarnation or not, but the prospect is interesting.

-There are otherworldly entities (physical manifestations or otherwise) that work and have worked with humans to guide their paths toward enlightenment, or some kind of betterment. This is pretty similar to Demonolatry, though I have my own spin on these entities. I feel that each religion is a shadow of the religions before it, meaning over time, religions change, but the entities remain the same (despite being under different names or appearances). This would explain any similarities between the beliefs of ancient civilizations, like the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, etc. One example would be Buddha and Jesus (and their teachings) in that they gave up everything to be stronger spiritually. Another would be Brahma's different aspects, or avatars which could be interpreted by Christians as God's angels. It would also explain why some people choose to associate Satan with Set or Loki.

-I believe there to be some sort of divine energy, or "magic" that we can harness with the guidance of our entities and use it towards our growth and self-enlightenment. Not the kind at birthday parties - heavens no, but something deeper, more personal and extraordinary. I believe we can become as gods in our own right.

-Oh, and I also believe in evolution and nature as a higher power, or part of the whole - perhaps nature itself is the whole and we are all aspects of it. (Going back to my first point)

Those are the very basics of my beliefs and there are more, but I'll leave you with that. I'd very much appreciate some constructive advice on trying to find a path for myself.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Welcome :)

Have you considered looking into Pagan groups? Normally, I don't suggest this one, but I think New Age may be worth looking at, too.

Some forms of Hinduism and Buddhism may be worth checking out, too.

Oh, by the way it's Brahman of whom the aspects are manifestations of - not Brahmā (who is the [demi]god of creation, God's or aspect of "growth", depending on how you interpret it), Brahman is the Absolute and Ultimate ground of all being. :D

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
For some reason when I read your post it reminded me of a conversation I had with someone else and a short (and free) book they pointed me towards called http://www.andrewsmcmeel.com/godsdebris/God's Debris by Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame). You may find it of some interest. Other than that I would just like to help welcome you to the forum and say that this is a great place filled with some good people that can help with understanding different paths, ideas and sometimes their questions help answer your own.

Aristocrap

Welcome :)

Have you considered looking into Pagan groups? Normally, I don't suggest this one, but I think New Age may be worth looking at, too.

Some forms of Hinduism and Buddhism may be worth checking out, too.

Oh, by the way it's Brahman of whom the aspects are manifestations of - not Brahmā (who is the [demi]god of creation, God's or aspect of "growth", depending on how you interpret it), Brahman is the Absolute and Ultimate ground of all being. :D
Whoops, I must have overlooked that. :rolleyes:
I've done a bit of looking around at Neo-Paganism, New Age, etc. I was actually advised to look into Thelema, which I find to be very thought-provoking and of interest to me. I think what would work best is to start practicing meditation, working my way to more complex practices. I know magick/magic and religion aren't always seen as tied together, but I think having both would be beneficial in my desire to progress myself.

Aristocrap

Personally, I've always seen magic at its simplest to be an energy or force which is capable of being manipulated or harnessed to produce a desired result or to alter something. Of course, you can take it to much more complex levels, but the nature of such an energy is currently beyond my understanding and remains unknown to many.